TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
rimartin58
Site Sponsor

Default First trip -- Cloudcroft, NM

For our first trip, we decided to flee hot, windy West Texas for the cool mountains of Cloudcroft, NM. I picked out an RV park sight unseen (Scenic Canyon), but the choice turned out good for us (see my review elsewhere in the forum).

I'd already had the unit open and closed a half-dozen times while cleaning and doing repairs (there's a reason used trailers cost less than new ones!) so setup wasn't a problem. Have to mention that the tip I got on this forum of using a cordless drill and hex key to lower the jack is a great idea. Did have a little trouble figuring out how to tie in cable TV but finally found the union under the trailer for the power antenna and disconnected the power antenna and tied on the cable.

It rained on an off all weekend, which was great for us after 105 F heat and the only rain we got in Odessa came pre-mixed with hail (some softball sized) and 50-80 mph winds. Other nice thing (well sort of) is that we got COLD. Imagine that, we were chilled in June. We ran the TM heater the first night, but I woke up every time it kicked on so next day we went into town and bought an electric heater (much better).

Spent lots of time reading and listening to the rain. Spent some time trying to keep the recirculating toilet from plugging with toilet paper (still trying to fine-tune that little problem).

There's a famous resort in Cloudcroft (The Lodge) which has a first-class restaurant (Rebecca's) and a Sunday champaign brunch. Since this was a combo shakedown and birthday trip for DW, we got reservations and prepared ourselves to be impressed. The buffet included fresh-made salmon croquettes, prime rib, pork chops, the best broccoli salad I've ever had, fruits, cheeses, steamed veggies, tarts, bread pudding, dull stuff like eggs and bacon and french toast, and, of course, champaign. We sat in front of huge windows with strained glass inlays and looked out over the mountains. Pricey but well worth it

Went home and fought the toilet some more, finally figured out that I needed two or three fills-and-flushes to get it empty. I was worried about the small shower, but DW and I both showered and had no trouble. Be warned, though, the gray water tank is small.

Got ready to leave the next morning and had the biggest downer of the trip. Got folded up and ready to go and found out that someone had decided they needed our trailer hitch worse than we did. Another trip to Cloudcroft and, $50 later, I had a new hitch (I'm able to get by without a WDH).

Overall, great trip. Tailer pulled great, no bucking, kicking or sway. Space is a little tight, but we had a surprising amount of storage. Need to do something about hard mattresses (I've seen lots of ideas on the forum), and figured out that the front bed is much warmer than the back one, even with the swim noodles.

Sorry to be so wordy. It's easy to get carried away. Can't wait to hitch up and ride again. Here's a few pics:

Elk out our door Sunday morning.

Our "new" 3023

Scenic Canyon RV Park

rimartin58 is offline   Reply With Quote