TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
JamKat+Fam

Default "Trail" Run - first time out

We were already planning to go camping with my parents at the newest Georgia State Park - Chattahoochee Bend on Oct 13-15 when they went out and bought a used TT (needed the queen walk-around bed). So, they asked if we wanted to "borrow" their TM. Of course! I'd much rather stay in something with a heater especially with 2 LOs and unpredictable GA weather.

As soon as we set up (w/my folks guidance), DH took off to finish up some work and the girls & I settled in for lunch & nap. Afternoon showers sounded so much nicer on a TM roof-top rather than a tent fly! The rest of the weekend was lovely with beautiful weather. Our 3.5 year old even cried about leaving the campground.

When we returned home (wow, we had time for a leisurely breakfast and morning hike without rushing to pack a tent and cram everything back in the truck/van!), the TM "for sale" sign dangled in front of us. DH & I spent most of Sunday looking over this forum and other TM resources on the web. Needless to say, we are the proud owners of a 2001 TM 3023 as of yesterday. We (I) can't wait to learn more about everything!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Welcome Aboard Start reading & you will find a wealth of info. I made a point of reading every post when I first joined up which took awhile but was so informative I still don't ask many Questions.

Also remember your 30 days goes by fast then to have complete access you will have to pay a 12.00 per year fee.

You will find TMs haven't changed much over the years in realilty accept for cosmetics, less wood etc.....

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Jim and Kathy:

Welcome to the best dog gone forum on the web. One year of a subscription costs less than a shot of whiskey at the JFK Airport

It is sure nice to get off the ground when camping. Years ago we did a few years with a tent, then moved up to a tent camper (Coleman). Our new TrailManor was a great step up from the Coleman and we can't wait to pull it out of winter storage next spring.

Welcome and enjoy yourself!
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
JamKat+Fam

Thanks for the warm welcome! James & I both grew up camping and enjoyed tent, pop-up, & trailer camping through our formative years. It's kinda different when you are the adult in charge! I'm sure we will get the subscription as there is so much info here. I know James will enjoy it as much as I will. Although he's far less "chatty" than I am.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

This really is a GREAT community & even the free section has allot of info so don't feel pushed to pay although it is well worth it IMO.

2008 3023

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Congratulations on your "new" TM! We have a 1997 that we bought in 2003, it's still going strong and the only major problem we've had was with the side A/C, we didn't really need it here in CA so we put a microwave in its place.

Oh, how I wish now that we'd had our TM when the kids were little. It would have made camping so much more comfortable & easier.

Does your TM have the rounded wheel wells? If not, you might want to look into the modification, it involves building a rounded wheel well out of sheet metal and filling in the gaps between that and the old wheel well with foam and/or styrofoam. The purpose of this is to lessen the damage to the area around the wheel wells in case of a blowout. We did our before we had our first blowout, and it helped a lot. From what I've read here, some of the 2001's have the rounded wheel wells and some of them don't.

The most fun I had with ours when we first bought it was making it our own, finding baskets to put in the lower cabinets to fit our dishes and pans, buying things for it, and actually using it! The kids loved it. They're both in their 20's now, but this past summer we did all go out in it to a wedding for a long weekend, and they had a lot of fun.

You're going to LOVE your TM!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
Welcome Aboard Start reading & you will find a wealth of info. I made a point of reading every post when I first joined up which took awhile but was so informative I still don't ask many Questions.

Also remember your 30 days goes by fast then to have complete access you will have to pay a 12.00 per year fee.

You will find TMs haven't changed much over the years in realilty accept for cosmetics, less wood etc.....
Reading every post must have taken quite awhile. 2,516 of them are mine. Not to suggest that any of mine are worth reading.

Excuse my sick humor.

I also read nearly every post in the beginning (2005 for us). I now click on New Posts, but I only read about 80 percent of it.

I learn something new and useful nearly every day.

Best 12 bucks a year I have ever spent. I can't even buy a decent dinner for that. I spend that much for coffee in a week at the office.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
PopBeavers

When the kids are around 10 to 12 they can start sleeping outside in their own tent. That way you will have more privacy and so will they.

Allegedly I snore while sleeping, but that has never been documented.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Reading every post must have taken quite awhile. 2,516 of them are mine. Not to suggest that any of mine are worth reading.

Excuse my sick humor.

I also read nearly every post in the beginning (2005 for us). I now click on New Posts, but I only read about 80 percent of it.

I learn something new and useful nearly every day.

Best 12 bucks a year I have ever spent. I can't even buy a decent dinner for that. I spend that much for coffee in a week at the office.
Yes it took allot of time but was worth it accept for some of the really old post had no relevance to our TM so I skimmed them rather than read word for word.

2008 3023

Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Welcome Aboard

It looks like you are in some good hands on the site. There is a wealth of information and tips as well as some very useful modifications that will make the TM even more liveable and special, so enjoy.

If you haven't been told about the TrailBlazer club which is the official TrailManor Owners Club, it is the only way that you can attend the Jubilee (the national rally) which takes place every 3 years. The next one is 2012 at Niagara Falls.

Welcome, sit back, have a great ride, and if you enjoy your TM half as much as I do mine, you will enjoy it a lot!
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote