TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Reldma

Default Want To Be A TM Owner

We want to be a TM owner and have some questions on what to look for when purchasing a pre-owned TM. As much as we would like to own a new TM that is not possible and even owning some of the newer TM's for sale that is also not possible.
! What year did TM switch from wood to aluminum support structure?
2. If there is rotten wood in the TM is it a major job to replace by someone who is somewhat handy?
3. What parts of a TM seem to fail most often?
4. There is an 87 TM for sale in this forum that has 2 axles. Are they as balanced as the single axle. The age of that TM 21 years kind of scares me, that there could be too much unseen or unknown deterioration. Plus I think the restoration could get into more than I would want to handle and the cost could end up being as much as a TM, that is not as old.
5. I am willing to do some work, but think I am looking for something that just needs furnishing appliances replaced or repaired and cleaning and some minor exterior repairs. Don't think I would want to get into removing walls.
What we have read about TM makes us believe they are well made trailers and the advantages they have over other trailers would make owning one enjoyable.
Appreciate any input you can give us to help guide us in the right direction.
Ray
Reldma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldma View Post
We want to be a TM owner and have some questions on what to look for when purchasing a pre-owned TM. As much as we would like to own a new TM that is not possible and even owning some of the newer TM's for sale that is also not possible.
! What year did TM switch from wood to aluminum support structure?
2. If there is rotten wood in the TM is it a major job to replace by someone who is somewhat handy?
3. What parts of a TM seem to fail most often?
4. There is an 87 TM for sale in this forum that has 2 axles. Are they as balanced as the single axle. The age of that TM 21 years kind of scares me, that there could be too much unseen or unknown deterioration. Plus I think the restoration could get into more than I would want to handle and the cost could end up being as much as a TM, that is not as old.
5. I am willing to do some work, but think I am looking for something that just needs furnishing appliances replaced or repaired and cleaning and some minor exterior repairs. Don't think I would want to get into removing walls.
What we have read about TM makes us believe they are well made trailers and the advantages they have over other trailers would make owning one enjoyable.
Appreciate any input you can give us to help guide us in the right direction.
Ray
Hi Ray,

Where are you located?

I looked at an '87 TM in Ventura CA. If that's the one....forget it. It's a pile of %#@&.
Wavery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
agesilaus

I think TM dropped wood in 2003 or 2004 so on anything newer than that you don't have to worry about wood problems. Before that you just need to do a very careful inspection looking for any sign of stains or discoloration. The same as any Travel Trailer. There are a lot of older TM's around and people still get good use out of them.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Reldma...I have seen a link to a site where a fellow works on an older TM replacing the wood. Let's just say he was very determined to fix it. I will look for the link and post it if I locate it. Try this link: http://members.aol.com/br768/

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Al-n-Sue

I think 2003 was the year they dropped wood and started using a steel frame and more aluminum. In 2003 they also moved the AC on most models from the back shell to the front shell, changed to a low profile AC, moved the spare under the trailer, and changed the bumper style. My 2003 (3124) has the AC in front and the spare under the trailer, but a standard height AC and an older 4 inch square bumper. A friend's 2003 (3023) has all of the above changes, so some of the changes must have come during the model year. So a 2003 or newer will eliminate a lot of the wood rot problems of older models and include the newer design features.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
arniland

Default Wood in TM

My understanding after visiting the factory this spring is that there was a major redesign of the TM roof starting with the 2003 model year. They incorporated a new aluminum extrusion into the roof framing at that point which made a substantial improvement to sealing to tops, if I remember Greg correctly. However, I am almost positive that we saw wood still used in at various places in the framing, including the roof. That is not, in itself, a bad thing. Wood just has to be sealed properly.

Before touring the factory we had considered two used TMs which had wood rot problems. We wanted to understand what the issues were. Right after the factory visit we bought our "new" 2007 unit. I voted with my checkbook. Can't say too much more than that other than we just returned from a 6 week, 8,400 mile, 20 state trip. Last weekend a 65 foot tall tree blew over in my yard narrowly missing the TM. If it had hit our TM, I would be out shopping for a new unit today.

Arn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	So_close.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	2825  

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
... In 2003 they also moved the AC on most models from the back shell to the front shell, changed to a low profile AC, moved the spare under the trailer, and changed the bumper style. My 2003 (3124) has the AC in front and the spare under the trailer, but a standard height AC and an older 4 inch square bumper. A friend's 2003 (3023) has all of the above changes, so some of the changes must have come during the model year. So a 2003 or newer will eliminate a lot of the wood rot problems of older models and include the newer design features.
Al-n-Sue -

You are basically correct, but just to be clear, some of these changes were phased in over a couple years. No one should try to use these changes to determine the model year of a TM. For instance, like your '03, my early '02 had a roof air conditioner on the front shell, and the spare tire under the body rather than the rear bumper. When the unit arrived at the dealer, he was surprised at these changes, since they didn't yet appear in the spec sheets that were available to him.

At a couple times in the past, members have questioned the stated model year of a particular TM, based on these changes. Only the VIN sticker can dependably call out the model year.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote