TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Maldos

Default Off Grid next trip prep question

My wife and I are preparing for our next trip to Mammoth Ca, Twin lakes area. No hookups but does have a dump station, we will be there for 4 nights. I have two questions and am hoping someone here can help me out since I don't have immediate access to my 2007 2720SL (in storage).

1. I read somewhere here an article showing bulb numbers for LED replacement, number of each type needed, and a great recommendation to a vendor. I thought had bookmarked the thread but just can't seem to locate it.

2. I wish to wire (2) group 27 batteries in parallel, but was wondering if group 29 batteries would fit in the battery bay. Since I don't have access I can't measure the battery compartment. I will be taking my Yamaha EF2400is Gen.

thank so much for any and all help

Don
Maldos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
Robert's TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldos View Post
My wife and I are preparing for our next trip to Mammoth Ca, Twin lakes area. No hookups but does have a dump station, we will be there for 4 nights. I have two questions and am hoping someone here can help me out since I don't have immediate access to my 2007 2720SL (in storage).

1. I read somewhere here an article showing bulb numbers for LED replacement, number of each type needed, and a great recommendation to a vendor. I thought had bookmarked the thread but just can't seem to locate it.

2. I wish to wire (2) group 27 batteries in parallel, but was wondering if group 29 batteries would fit in the battery bay. Since I don't have access I can't measure the battery compartment. I will be taking my Yamaha EF2400is Gen.

thank so much for any and all help

Don

The only note I have...... I read some 12volt led bulbs have resistors to match the load of an automotive bulb..... Which makes them draw about the same amout... The poster said to make sure and get RV bulbs. (No resistor...)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

My 2720SL had the battery in a slot in the rear compartment. A 29 was wedged into the box. That was taking up too much room so I switched to two GC2s which exactly fit on the street side. Two 27s (or 29 or 31) would need to be stacked in order to leave room for a gen.

The rear compartment measured 14.5" wide so I limited my tests to gens that or less. Isn't the EF2400is 16.5" wide & 75 lbs ? That was the main reason I have a Westpro WH2400i, 12.5" wide and 50 lbs.

Wall is shared with tub so would be hard to make any deeper.

ps Honda & Yamaha are what I consider "1st gen" inverter/generators and were designed at the end of the last century. Recently I am seeing newer designs that are smaller/lighter packages with the same power and longer runtimes. The WH2400i produces more continuous power than the Honda EU2000i's surge.

Shown with battery cover off, there is a vent just above the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hondainside.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	13683  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We went with a pair of grp 27's. Had to make up a second battery box, vent system and anchoring system. Like the Exide stowaways at $90 each from Tractor Supply. Will most like get a pair this winter for the MH that replaced our 2720SL.

As padgett said GC-2's are also a good option but in either case the on board converter isn't up to the job of charging either dual battery set up.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Really would not know, when open the solar takes care of keeping them charged (takes about 24 minutes to recover from three at 64A).
Old 07-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Maldos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert's TM View Post
The only note I have...... I read some 12volt led bulbs have resistors to match the load of an automotive bulb..... Which makes them draw about the same amout... The poster said to make sure and get RV bulbs. (No resistor...)
Interesting, and didn't know that. Thank you
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Maldos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
My 2720SL had the battery in a slot in the rear compartment. A 29 was wedged into the box. That was taking up too much room so I switched to two GC2s which exactly fit on the street side. Two 27s (or 29 or 31) would need to be stacked in order to leave room for a gen.

The rear compartment measured 14.5" wide so I limited my tests to gens that or less. Isn't the EF2400is 16.5" wide & 75 lbs ? That was the main reason I have a Westpro WH2400i, 12.5" wide and 50 lbs.

Wall is shared with tub so would be hard to make any deeper.

ps Honda & Yamaha are what I consider "1st gen" inverter/generators and were designed at the end of the last century. Recently I am seeing newer designs that are smaller/lighter packages with the same power and longer runtimes. The WH2400i produces more continuous power than the Honda EU2000i's surge.

Shown with battery cover off, there is a vent just above the batteries.
Thanks for the response. After reading everything I could from this site on off-grid camping, I just purchased two 6v 220A batteries. These should fit in the battery compartment. My TM has a hitch on the back and I will carry the Yam EF2400is on a cargo carrier along with my Barker waste tote. Thanks again for taking the time to measure the battery compartment.

Don
Old 07-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Best check the hitch rating, I remember something about the TM receiver being rated for less than 100 lbs.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Yes the TM receiver is rather weak. I think those cargo carriers often exceed the specifications of the hitch they are plugged into. The lever arm is longer than you get with a trailer, and the full mass is on it.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Hey Padgett, I was just looking at Westpro and Yamaha 2400 generators and they're just about the same noise level. I was surprised that the Westpro was that quiet. Question for you-- will the Westpro handle my AC ok or do I have to get the other thing you've talked about before?

Thx,

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote