TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default Camping World/Good Sam questions

Just wondering if the $25 Good Sam membership is worth it. I have a "supercenter" about 20 minutes away.

Also, would you use them to service your TM? (I mean for things that are not TM specific)
Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Angry

IMHO, I despise the marketing tactics of "Good Sam"/Camping World, their "alleged" benefits are just that "alleged".

YMMV.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well I have another year on my "Elite" but RV towing etc. was cheaper as a rider on my AAA. It does get me a 10% discount on parts and propane but I always check Amazon first, it is often less expensive.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Exclamation No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Just wondering if the $25 Good Sam membership is worth it. I have a "supercenter" about 20 minutes away.

Also, would you use them to service your TM? (I mean for things that are not TM specific)

way way way too over priced...anything that you want from Camping World you can find for 40-50% cheaper online...the only thing I like is the campground directory and that's it! As for that though I use http://www.RVparking.com more than that directory...
I would only use them if they were the only ones near and it was an emergency!....like running out of toilet paper....otherwise...forget Goooooded Sham!
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Good Sam is Camping World's affinity club which you pay to be in. The only thing of value seems to be that many RV parks give a discount with the Good Sam card. If you use enough RV parks days per year, it might be worth it.

When people did most of their shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, the discount might have been worthwhile. You can buy almost anything online for less, if you don't need it right away.

Their mechanics might have seen a Trailmanor once. I know the Camping World in Vaccaville had a used one a couple of years ago, but I've not heard of one there since. They can do a lot of general RV stuff, like tires, brakes and bearings, the appliances, plumbing, and electric once you show them how to open and close the TM.. But I'd not go to one to work on the Trailmanor-specific stuff. If I wasn't handy, I'd build a relationship with a local RV mechanic.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I joined Good Sam the first year we had the TM because it seemed like there were a lot of things I needed to buy and camping world was close and as I remember it I got some kind of good deal so it cost me very little to join. I did add time to my membership because I liked there “trip planner” and I was planning a 3 month 13,000 mile trip at the time it expired. I got roadside assistance insurance from them that one time because I was going to be using the TM for such an extended time. LOL I had my only blowout on that trip but I would never wait for someone to come out and change a tire for me. I got it in case I needed to be towed.

The trip planner is the best way I have found to plan trips. You can plan your route and it will show you camping (private and public) along that route and give you information and rating for each site. Once you have that information you can do a search for more information about the campground or area. That said I have no long trips planned I have not taken before and will probably let my membership expire because it is the only thing I found worthwhile. I will miss the “trip planer” but not for the cost.

Tom, where are you shopping on line getting 40% to 50% off Camping World prices?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I will say that Good Sam is relentless in their direct mail advertising. I joined for a year back when we first got our TM in 2007, and even though I have never renewed, and further have not bought anything from Camping World in at least 5 years, we still regularly get "temporary" membership cards for their towing service as a facade for soliciting us for a membership renewal. It's annoying, since we seem to get them maybe once every 1-2 months.

We also get a Camping World flyer every few months, but that doesn't bother me.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default online shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
I joined Good Sam the first year we had the TM because it seemed like there were a lot of things I needed to buy and camping world was close and as I remember it I got some kind of good deal so it cost me very little to join. I did add time to my membership because I liked there “trip planner” and I was planning a 3 month 13,000 mile trip at the time it expired. I got roadside assistance insurance from them that one time because I was going to be using the TM for such an extended time. LOL I had my only blowout on that trip but I would never wait for someone to come out and change a tire for me. I got it in case I needed to be towed.

The trip planner is the best way I have found to plan trips. You can plan your route and it will show you camping (private and public) along that route and give you information and rating for each site. Once you have that information you can do a search for more information about the campground or area. That said I have no long trips planned I have not taken before and will probably let my membership expire because it is the only thing I found worthwhile. I will miss the “trip planer” but not for the cost.

Tom, where are you shopping on line getting 40% to 50% off Camping World prices?
Ebay is the first place I look because it is so competitive ..then I just do a general search online and see what that brings and finally, I always check Amazon...but it really depends on what you are looking for....I think Good Scam are a bunch of gougers!
Tom
Old 06-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Shrimpy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I will say that Good Sam is relentless in their direct mail advertising. I joined for a year back when we first got our TM in 2007, and even though I have never renewed, and further have not bought anything from Camping World in at least 5 years, we still regularly get "temporary" membership cards for their towing service as a facade for soliciting us for a membership renewal. It's annoying, since we seem to get them maybe once every 1-2 months.

We also get a Camping World flyer every few months, but that doesn't bother me.

Dave
that could come in handy at home if you ever need to start a fire or run out of toilet paper...
Tom
Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Guess my only real caveat other than "know what you are buying" is to never give them a credit card number otherwise they "autorenew" & the renewal price is usually higher than the original price.

Are a couple close by and I usually head for the clearance table first and then small hardware (they have a lot of latches and caps and things used on a TM).

So they have a place, just be careful. Be very careful.