TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Does a TM qualify for the new CA homebuyer credit?

http://ftb.ca.gov/individuals/New_Ho...dit.shtml#def2

You have to live in it for 2 years.

What do you think?

Is a mobile home eligible for the homeowners exemption?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
HEATHFINANCIAL

no it would have to be a manufactured mobile home to qualify. travel trailers dont count
Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think it likely that another key phrase is "principal residence". Along with "pay property tax".

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHFINANCIAL View Post
no it would have to be a manufactured mobile home to qualify. travel trailers dont count
How do you know this? Did you call them, or read the bill? I'd really like to know.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I think it likely that another key phrase is "principal residence". Along with "pay property tax".

Bill
It is possible to have the TM be your principal residence, and we do pay (personal) property taxes on them here in CA.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Perhaps I misunderstood the question. If the TM becomes your principal residence, what do you do with your current principal residence? Sell it? Declare it to be a second home?

And I may be wrong - I'm not a Californian - but in most states, I think there is a difference between real estate tax (commonly called property tax) and personal property tax, such as you pay on your car or boat. If you declare your TM to be your principal residence, does it become subject to real estate tax?

Ducking out now ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
photoadjuster

Default Tax Man Looking

<< If you declare your TM to be your principal residence, does it become subject to real estate tax? >>

Only if the tax man can find it on Jan 1st.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood the question. If the TM becomes your principal residence, what do you do with your current principal residence? Sell it? Declare it to be a second home?

And I may be wrong - I'm not a Californian - but in most states, I think there is a difference between real estate tax (commonly called property tax) and personal property tax, such as you pay on your car or boat. If you declare your TM to be your principal residence, does it become subject to real estate tax?

Ducking out now ...

Bill
Here is an excerpt from the IRS website regarding the deductibility of interest that shows that a "house trailer" can be a "main home":

"Topic 505 - Interest Expense

Interest is an amount you pay for the use of borrowed money..........Types of interest you can deduct as itemized deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF) include investment interest (limited to your net investment income) and qualified residence interest.........Qualified residence interest is interest you pay on a loan secured by your main home or a second home. Your main home is where you live most of the time. It can be a house, cooperative apartment, condominium, mobile home, house trailer, or houseboat that has sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities."

I was just asking HF if they had a insight that I didn't have, I'm sorry if I sounded uptight, I've been working a lot of overtime this past month. There are always questions about these new laws that come out and I'm just looking for answers.

This is an excerpt from the CA link I originally posted: "Types of residence: Any of the following can qualify if it is your principal residence and is subject to property tax, whether real or personal property: a single family residence, a condominium, a unit in a cooperative project, a houseboat, a manufactured home, or a mobile home."

Here in CA you generally pay real property taxes on land and structures permanently attached, and personal property taxes on things that aren't permanently attached to land.

I guess it gets down to what their definition of a "mobile home" is as far as this law goes. The new structures that go into mobile home parks aren't really mobile homes any more, they are manufactured homes.

If I get some time I'll look up the legislation to see what I can find out.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
HEATHFINANCIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
How do you know this? Did you call them, or read the bill? I'd really like to know.
actually you may be right, seems a mobile home does qualify.

i did find this story from the washington post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jan9.html

Note that a cooperative apartment, a house trailer or a houseboat will also be considered a "principal residence," as long as it contains a kitchen, sleeping quarters and bathroom facilities.

i suppose if California follows the feds, a travel trailer could be considered a principal residence as long as you dont own a house and it contains a shower, toilet and a kitchen.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
P and B

I believe mobile home interest is deductible. So are boats that have the two qualifying attributes- a permanent bathroom and kitchen.....

That's what I remember about the code.

Phil