TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

For me, one of the core problems with refilling disposable 1-lb propane tanks is that they are built to be disposable. Especially the fill and air valves. One time I was using such a tank (never refilled), and when I removed the appliance, the fill valve did not close and so propane leaked out. I could not get it to stop, so I just put it in an open area and let all of the gas leak out. Lovely.

Fortunately, though, I was outside, and I noticed it. Imagine if it were in your car, and you didn't notice it. Unpleasant, indeed. I just think that the more one uses those valves, whether it be to continually connect/disconnect the bottles or to refill them, the components of the valve will weaken and eventually fail. I know there will be countless numbers of people that can say they've been refilling the tanks like this for years and have never had a problem. I believe them. But the risk of failure, in my mind, is just not worth the risk.

I don't use 1-lb disposable containers anymore, except for the occasion I use a torch. For camping, I use a 5-lb refillable cylinder for my portable grill and stove. It holds about a gallon, and so it costs me about $3 to fill it, and that's probably the price (at least) of one 1-lb disposable.

No more landfill waste, no dangerous refilling, no disposable valves, and I'm saving money to boot!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Pics of the 5lb bottle? Does it hook right to the grill or do you need a hose? Where did you get it?

Edit: Nevermind. Just looked on Amazon. They ain’t cheap, nor do they look all too convenient. I still want to figure out a way to plumb a quick disconnect into my TM’s propane system.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2.../dp/B000SKX63U

I mounted it on the tongue of the TM. See:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5&postcount=21

It goes wherever the TM goes. I never think about it. Yes, it's $50, but you'll make that up quickly by not buying disposables. I had thought about teeing into the TM's propane system, but:

a) the low pressure of the TM system and the high pressure requirement of most grills/stoves needs to be addressed. Doable, but requires some effort.

b) most importantly, I didn't want to cook within a few feet of the TM. I wanted to be over by the picnic table and/or firepit, where everyone else is also hanging out. Since we camp in primitive areas, that might be 30-50 feet from the TM.

Dave
Old 04-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #14
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I have this one:

I mounted it on the tongue of the TM. See:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5&postcount=21
Well that's just adorable! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

a) the low pressure of the TM system and the high pressure requirement of most grills/stoves needs to be addressed. Doable, but requires some effort.
So is it the tank fittings that determine the pressure of the propane dispersal? I didn't realize there was a difference in what systems require, although I suppose if I had any reason to ever ponder it, I would have eventually come to the conclusion that there would be differences.

I believe that might be a solution for me, actually. It certainly seems much easier than refilling the #1 bottles. However, unlike the #20 bottles, which I can just turn in at a station and swap out with a new bottle, purchasing the #5 bottle means eventually it will have to be re-certified. How much does that usually cost?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Holly,

The propane tanks on our unit (SL) are horizontal and cannot be conveniently swapped out.

I've had both my OEM propane tanks re-certified within the past two years at our local propane company store (in my case AmeriGas). You don't need to be a customer to have your tank certified. Each time it cost $25 including filling the tank. The certification is good for 5 years. They basically do a visual check for rusted fixture connections with the tank body and the base support ring. The test also includes a pressure test, looking for a defective valve assembly. I periodically remove any rust, prime and paint the tanks before bringing them in for certification or as needed. I am not sure how much they would charge to re-certify a 5 pound tank.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3943 (Large).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	16805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3944 (Large).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	16806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3979 (Large).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	16807  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #16
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
How much does that usually cost?
Good question. I've had for 9 years, and I either don't remember ever having to do the recert yet, or it was so cheap (or free) that I found it unremarkable.

For the larger tanks, my experience with recerts has been similar to Dick's. Either included in the price of a refill (usually the case), or maybe a $10 charge.

According to this Amerigas website:
https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-bl...r-propane-tank

...initial certifications are good for 12 years from the date of manufacture, and then must be renewed every 5 years thereafter.

It would be the slightest thing from my mind if I were considering doing this. Worst case scenario is you discard and replace the tank for $50.....so, a recert should be significantly cheaper than that, whenever it is required.

Dave
Old 04-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
You don't need to be a customer to have your tank certified. Each time it cost $25 including filling the tank.
Thanks for that info. I may be incorrect, but I'm guessing at least half of that $25 is for the propane refill. Perhaps $15 would be a reasonable cost for a #5 tank, and if only required every 5 years, would be worth it instead of using all those 'disposable' #1 bottles.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think it is every 10 years you need to do a re-cert. My 20 lb tanks I exchanged when it was time to re-cert. Got some 2017 tanks in exchange and then went back to refilling the tanks at $12 per 4.5 gl/ 20 lbs after the 15 lb ran out.

I thought about the 1.2 gl/5 lb tank, but the re-cert has been my concern. I got a y connector for my 20 lb tank on the TM and a 20 ft hose with a 1 lb adaptor. But a few years back. I realized I only use about 4 - 1 lb tanks a year. I get them 2 for $6, so I stopped using the y connector and hose.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #19
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
But a few years back I realized I only use about 4 - 1 lb tanks a year. I get them 2 for $6, so I stopped using the y connector and hose.
The cost of the #1 isn't the problem - it's the $10 charge to dispose of them. I think the #5 tank is the perfect answer - and probably way easier to cart around, even full, than the #20 tanks. They are awkward as all get out to carry, and seem way heavier than #20. I'd rather carry the #50 of dog food up to the house from the garage 10 times a day, than carry the darn #20 propane tank once in a season. LOL
Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #20
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Had never hear of the disposal fee for the 1 lb bottles. Maybe we are getting rid of them the wrong way??? If I need to pay a disposal fee,I will go back to the 20 lb tank on the tongue of the camper with a y connector and 20 foot hose.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote