TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #11
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
Thanks, is there a minimum weight WDH I should look for, I have seen this listing on craigslist. " EZ LIFT WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH WITH ANTI SWAY BAR BRAN NEW IN THE BOXES. 6K , 8K , 10K MODELS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE.
EZ-LIFT HAS BEEN MAKING THESE SINCE 1953. THE ORIGINATOR. $300 NO OFFERS TAKEN OR EVER ACCEPTED AT THAT PRICE SO PLEASE DONT ASK. NEW IN THE BOX. "

just wonder what one I should get?

Also on a 1996 TM 3023 what size ball should I have on this hitch? thanks very much
__________________________________________________ _______
Does that price include shipping/tax?
Does your TM seller (is it a RV dealer?) have one that he wants to sell/set up?
Have a brake controller?
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Also consider that a WDH transfers force onto the trailer axle. Do you have 5 bolt wheels (3500 lb axle) or 6 bolt (5000 lb axle).

My 2720SL with the batteries in the back has a tongue weight of 460 lbs. However since I feel my 3500 lb axle is at or near its limit I do not want to transfer any more force on it.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I think we need to think about the physics behind WDHs lest we over-estimate their effect. We can conservatively estimate that all of them are exerting less than 300 pounds of torque. After all, we crank them up by hand using relatively short levers. We have about a 3 foot lever arm between the hitch ball and the WDH brackets. Our lever arm from the hitch ball to the trailer axle is about 15 feet. With a lever arm ratio of 3:15 we can estimate 60 pounds at the trailer axle.

A WDH moves the center of pressure from the tongue weight forward of the rear axle, if it's working correctly. But I am not convinced they move it very far forward of the rear axle.

And I am less convinced that some of them work at all.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
Shebantam, I have used an anti sway on the popup and found it to be a great feature to have. Since I will be going 2100 miles to pick up this gem I think I will do a WDH just for peace of mind. I came up with this one, so if anyone can say yay or nay to this WDH please respond I will order this type .

http://smile.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-480...ributing+hitch
You've offered a lot of spec for the truck but the one i missed is the hitch weight? What is your maximum hitch weight with and w/o a WDH?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Craigrrr
have run both was , but with current set up,i do run a wdh, I do load hvy most of the time, but I also have the 6 lug wheels and the 5k axle,on our tm, so that helps, and our wheelbase is close to your rig. I think our bars are 750 lbs and is more than enough .

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Thanks all, I did pick a WDH up locally today New for $ 167.00 it is rated at 1000 pound tongue weight and 10,000 pound max trailer weight. I looked at the old specs for a 3023 said tongue weight was 395 # and I figured after loading and extra stuff for picking it and having the " just in case" with me. I got the 1000 pound rated unit. . HillbillyHotel, I see you have an older 3023 listed in your sig. can you tell me what the level height of the trailer is so as I can possibly be a little bit assembled and ready to go , as I am picking this up in Michigan and I hear it is Cold there Plus one other question for older trailmanor owners ......Are the stabilizers on this unit like the newer ones where you can actually crank up the trailer to level or are they just for stabilizing the trailer? I have a bal leveler for single axle trailers I am going to bring along also, would that work and raise up one side if it is uneven?

thanks very much
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
You've offered a lot of spec for the truck but the one i missed is the hitch weight? What is your maximum hitch weight with and w/o a WDH?
I have no idea, I guess I am not familiar with all the terminology just yet, Been driving a Class A for years and never had to worry about towing anything behind it, downsized to a popup a few yrs back, but now want to go a bit larger in trailers and have gotten used to the low profile of the popup. Thus the trailmanor fills the bill. Sorry for not knowing
Old 11-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #18
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I don't use my stabilizers to do hard-core leveling. I used blocks to get level side-to-side, and the tongue jack to level front-to-back. If I need to fine-tune the side-to-side, the stabilizers are fine for that. It is minimal additional torque on the stabilizers.

I have never liked putting lots of force on stabilizers to level, as it seemed to torque the frame of my old popup. I just prefer to get it close with tires on the ground or block/Anderson/Bal levelers, then stabilize with the corner stabilizers.

On WDH, since you got a 1,000#, be careful to not put too much tension in the WDH. I have heard that an over-capable WDH can make the ride pretty harsh on some roads, if tightened too much. Do just enough tension to get the TV back to level.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Thanks LoveToCamp, It looks like the stabilizers on the 96 TM are just that , It does not look like they crank down , but pull out and then press a tab if they need to touch the ground. But maybe someone who has an older TM can verify that.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #20
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
I think we need to think about the physics behind WDHs lest we over-estimate their effect. We can conservatively estimate that all of them are exerting less than 300 pounds of torque. After all, we crank them up by hand using relatively short levers. We have about a 3 foot lever arm between the hitch ball and the WDH brackets. Our lever arm from the hitch ball to the trailer axle is about 15 feet. With a lever arm ratio of 3:15 we can estimate 60 pounds at the trailer axle.

A WDH moves the center of pressure from the tongue weight forward of the rear axle, if it's working correctly. But I am not convinced they move it very far forward of the rear axle.

And I am less convinced that some of them work at all.
Easy to test with certainty. Simply go to a scale and weigh all the TV and TM axles with the WDH attached and not attached.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote