TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
ib4classics

Default Gap in shells when down

When our 3023 is up the gasket for the two shells is tight. I just washed the top yesterday (up) and no gap or leaks.
In the down/towing position, I have a gap large enough to put my hand in past my knuckles on the passengers side right under the radio antenna.
What adjustment do I need to make?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

The main hold-down latch needs to be adjusted. You will notice the attachement point has slotted openings. With the shells open, loosen the adjustment bolts and move the latch toward the tongue a little at a time until the closed outer shell rests on the closed inner shell without any space. Be careful not to make it too tight.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874a.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	3722  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
ib4classics

Thanks for the quick reponse. Seems like a pretty easy adjustment.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
ib4classics

I have made the adjustment suggested, it did'nt help. I also checked the adjustment on the rear shell to see if I could loosen it up, it is already as lose as it will go and I still have a sginificant gap only when closed, fits nice and tight when open.
I am reluctant to start messing with torsion bar adjustmet without some guidance.
Maybe there is another adjustment I am not aware of?.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

John,

Sorry to hear the adjustment didn't solve the problem. My last post had you move the latch in the wrong direction. The latch should be moved slightly towards the bumper of the unit. Close the inner shell and check both center latches - make sure the latch slot opening is the same for each. Then close but do not latch the outer shell. Note the position of the hold down latch and adjust the latch downward then latch the shell.

Here is another thread that may be helpful:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ell+gap+closed

I notice from your signature that you are in TN . . . you might consider making an appointment at the TM factory.

Dick
Albums
Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
ib4classics

Dick, thanks for the correction on the front shell adjusment, I will try it this morning and see how it works.
We will, if necessary, make an appointment with the factory. We are fortunate, I think it is about a 2 hr. drive, not bad to get the manufacturer set it straight.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dick -

If there is a gap between the shells, I would think that you could move the rear shell latch up, or the front shell latch down. Or maybe both. Would that not work?

Also I would think that a good first step would be to examine the position of the latches on the curb side, and compare them to the position on the road side, to see if they are wildly different.

Finally, I seem to recall (it was a while ago) that I had this problem, and I traced it to something inside the TM that was too tall to allow one side of the front shell to close all the way. I've forgotten what it was, but in order to get the latches closed, the front shell had to come down cockeyed, with one side closed too far and the other side open too far. John, you might try closing and latching the rear shell, then poking your head up inside the front shell before you close it to look for anything that is sticking up higher than the "correct" height. You can judge correct height by eyeball, using some of the fixtures (such as the kitchen sink faucet) that you know are OK as a reference.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dick -

If there is a gap between the shells, I would think that you could move the rear shell latch up, or the front shell latch down. Or maybe both. Would that not work?
I agree, that should solve the gap problem - assuming there is enough slot left to make an adjustment.

Quote:
Also I would think that a good first step would be to examine the position of the latches on the curb side, and compare them to the position on the road side, to see if they are wildly different.
Yes, some sort of reference is needed . . . as you aptly suggest.

Quote:
. . . and I traced it to something inside the TM that was too tall to allow one side of the front shell to close all the way . . .

I was wondering if the inner shell (street side) did not seat properly, if that might cause the outer shell (street side) to be pushed up enough to cause the gap.

Bill, I also found this post by Paul (12/04/2007), from the link you posted earlier in this thread.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
... I may have to make a special trip just to get the torsion system checked... Not a big deal - the main worry is the gap between shells when it is closed after using up all the latch adjustment... Thanks, Glen

Glen, part of my point about having the torsion bars correctly adjusted is that the shells will be properly balanced and the gap will "disappear" when they close properly. The latch allow for some adjustment, but the primary cause of the gap is improper torsion adjustment.

Former 1998 2619 owner

Dick
Albums
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
ib4classics

I re-adjusted the center latch in the correct direction, that solved 90+% of the problem.
I still have a slight gap that I can push together by hand but I'm not sure how to get the rest.
Iam maxed out on the latch for the front shell and the rear shell is as loose as it will go.
By the way the center latches on both sides latch by themselves when final pressure is applied to the tops of the shells.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
ib4classics

Smile

Very good news, I have been giving our TM a good detailing which today included cleaning the big gasket on the front shell.
I really cleaned off all of the scuff marks and mildew which ment I was working the gasket end to end. When I closed the unit much to my surprise the gap that has been there only when down was all but gone.
I ended up with a very small opening, about the size of a #2 pencil right at the corner. The door side has the same small hole.
I guess the "massaging" of he gasket caused the foam inside to spread out and complete the seal.
I now have a very clean gasket that seals as good as it can I suppose.