TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
partipim
Site Sponsor

Default Michigan campgrounds

My wife and I live in MI. We like to take quick weekend trips when possible and have been to many of the michigan campgrounds. What we are looking for is a hidden jem which we may have overlooked in lower or central Michigan. Any thoughts?
partipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
thewitzclan

Our personal favorites are Fort Custer Recreation Area (state park) near Battle Creek, and Hartwick Pines near Grayling. Waterloo State park in Chelsea is not too bad and also Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon is nice. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Chuck C C

The Munising Tourist Park on M28 just west of Munising in the upper peninsula is a small, quiet facility right on Lake Superior.They have water and electical hook-ups and a dump station. Telephone (906) 387-3145. Last year's rates were $17-$22. The view is unmatched, particularly if you camp on the lake side.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
MariaG

We live in Michigan as well but haven't done much camping yet, as I didn't get bitten by the camping bug until a few years ago. *G* Our favorite so far is Muskegon State Park, but it has to be in the woods, NOT on the channel. We're beach lovers and I liked how close it was to to the water, yet in the trees and shaded. I have friends who have recommended http://www.covertpark.com/index.htm but we haven't been there yet, so I don't have first hand knowledge.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
partipim
Site Sponsor

Thank you all for the suggestions looks like we have some new places to try. Mostly we like to fish and relax at the campground. We are not into camping on top of one another and these look like our kind of places. Thanks again
Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
thewitzclan

Partipim, if you have any suggestions it would be appreciated, since we also live in Michigan and that's where we do almost all our camping. So much to see in this state!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
voyager2

Our favorite Michigan park is McLain near Hancock. Go there every year and think it is a truly great place.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
partipim
Site Sponsor

We like the state park at Traverse City state park, Luddington state park, we also go to Emmett KOA which is close to home it is a small relaxing campground and the kids enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
thewitzclan

I've heard the Traverse City Park is nice and also the state park in Petosky, but we haven't been there yet. We were suppose to stay at Ludington State Park a couple years ago, but when we drove thru we didn't care for how the campground sites were set up. The trailers were too on top of each other and it was jam packed, we ended up going to Hoffmaster State Park near Muskegon which wasn't nearly as crowded. Depending on the ages of your kids Fort Custer is nice. They have a beach, fishing lakes, and trails. The sites are surrounded by bushes so you pretty much can't see your neighbors. We have a 10 year old and we like going to Binder Zoo which is close by, they use to have the Kellogg's Factory, but I guess it is closed now except on special weekends, and there is the Air Zoo, and it seems to me Turkeyville is close by. Plus there is a mall close by which is nice when it rains. We plan on checking out Sleeper State Park in Caseville in September. We are going to the Monroe KOA for Memorial Weekend. This will be our first KOA visit, I'm not sure how we will like it because we prefer the "camping in nature" experience over the activity stuff. The only reason we are going is that several families from our church are going, and we thought our son would have fun being with his friends.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
skcerny

Here are two more recommendations: Heartland Woods in Stockbridge http://www.heartlandwoodsrv.com/ and Aloha State Park. We liked Heartland as it is about an hour away from us. The folks are friendly and the campground is quiet. Small fishing pond that yielded some rather large bluegill and bass.

Good luck!