TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Our wardrobe sits on the counter but has a tail piece that prevents the bed from tipping. There is also the slide lock into the bathroom wall.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Our wardrobe sits on the counter but has a tail piece that prevents the bed from tipping. There is also the slide lock into the bathroom wall.
I'm aware of the slide lock for the bath wall. I always seem to forget it though when I attempt to fold the wall down during take down and it won't budge....

Oh yea, the bed is still locked!

Thanks for the update on the wardrobe piece. That would seem to interfere with an emergency egress with having to move the closet? It's got to go to the floor right? Which blocks the hallway floor to then stand to raise the bed?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
davlin
TrailManor Master

Riwright, I have a 3124 KS (2007) model, and just got done doing some repair work on the bed. My son and I removed it for the repair.

Although others have told you differently, the correct answer, unfortunately, is your option #1. And yes, it's going to dump you on the ground. And, yes it's probably going to break the track supports off of the underside of the bed when you do it, so "practicing" is not recommended!

The problems with option #2 are as follows: you can't go out over the top of the bed if you're not already on it, and there's no room to go underneath the bed. You can lift the bathroom end of the bed (while standing in the hall), and while it will slide "out and down" for some distance, it will almost certainly jam before it comes completely out of the unit. Once jammed, it would be almost impossible for adults to climb over the elevated end near the bathroom, and unless you were strong enough to break the bed free of its supports, you would then be stuck in a burning trailer. Also mentioned was the fact that getting out of the bed and into the hall will put you closer to the fire.

If newer units have an exit rear window, that would seem to me to be the way to go, although that window would have to be large enough to accommodate full-sized adults, and it's going to be an even longer drop to the ground.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post
Riwright, I have a 3124 KS (2007) model, and just got done doing some repair work on the bed. My son and I removed it for the repair.

Although others have told you differently, the correct answer, unfortunately, is your option #1. And yes, it's going to dump you on the ground. And, yes it's probably going to break the track supports off of the underside of the bed when you do it, so "practicing" is not recommended!
I can see how this is true with the larger units, but I've tried this on both of our beds in the 2720 and have never had this happen in over 11+ years of ownership.

Perhaps it's because the swing support arms are only so long, allowing them to fold in and not overlap, and in the king bed models, they only reach so far back when the bed is in place.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I've tried this on both of our beds in the 2720 and have never had this happen in over 11+ years of ownership.
B_and_D, just for clarity, which is it that you've tried? Riwright's option #1, or option #2?

Dave
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

I'll let her reply for herself, but I think she means (in response to your post about damage) that she has lifted the front edge of the rear bed in her 2720, and nothing underneath hung up or was hurt. As I noted above, I have done the same thing on both of my 2720SL's, with the same result - no pain anywhere. So this is option number 2. It may be different on a longer trailer ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dave -

I'll let her reply for herself, but I think she means (in response to your post about damage) that she has lifted the front edge of the rear bed in her 2720, and nothing underneath hung up or was hurt. As I noted above, I have done the same thing on both of my 2720SL's, with the same result - no pain anywhere. So this is option number 2. It may be different on a longer trailer ...

Bill
I re-read the OP and option 1 does not seem plausible. Even with the bathroom pin lock out, don't the support arms keep the front side of the bed from pivoting down?

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
I re-read the OP and option 1 does not seem plausible. Even with the bathroom pin lock out, don't the support arms keep the front side of the bed from pivoting down?
Mmmm, you may have the wrong mental picture. In either option, the front of the bed lifts up and the rear drops down. In option 1, you put your weight on the rear edge of the bed, which drops down while the front edge pivots up. Since you are huddled on the rear edge of the bed, you get dumped on the ground. In option 2, you stand in the hallway, lift the front edge of the bed, and crawl out under the lifted edge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #19
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Mmmm, you may have the wrong mental picture. In either option, the front of the bed lifts up and the rear drops down. In option 1, you put your weight on the rear edge of the bed, which drops down while the front edge of the bed lifts up. Since you are huddled on the rear edge of the bed, you get dumped on the ground. In option 2, you stand in the hallway, lift the front edge of the bed, and crawl out under the lifted edge.

Bill
No, I get all that explanation and mental picture. But, don't the support arms keep you from being dumped on the ground? That's why they are there in the first place? Unless you swing in the support arms?, It's a fairly supportive mechanism. In option 2, when you raise the bed, the arms are still supporting the rear of the bed. Now, they might let loose at the pivot bolt, but that's a separate issue. Now, keep in mind that for my king bed, I do have a natural foot and head of the bed which is inline with the TM hallway. In most other units, when you say front and rear of the bed you are are referring to side to side.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
In option 2, you stand in the hallway, lift the front edge of the bed, and crawl out under the lifted edge.Bill
Bill, must be different with a 2720. On a 3124 KS (which is what the original question was about) you can not crawl out under the bed. No matter how far you tip the bathroom side of the bed up, there is not enough space over the rear storage area to crawl out. You would be relying on "hope" or "luck" that you could knock the bed completely out of the unit. If that failed, you would be trapped. Assuming you "got lucky" :-) you would have to crawl over the very thin aluminum that covers the top of the rear storage space and could easily get hung up in that. The only sure path in an emergency is option #1.

Dave