TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
trisht

Default Loooong distance camping -- Lessons Learned?

We are long time tent campers, brand new TM owners and are starting out on a seven week tour of the western states and National Parks. We've spent the last two months devouring all the wisdom on this site, but I still find myself with one nagging question for all of you super experienced campers out there...

a) what is the one thing you wished you knew, would have brought, etc before taking a long distance trip like this?

b) we're leaving on Father's Day and my husband is (IMHO) the world's best father. what is a nifty camping-themed gift my kids could give him (under about $200 -- I'd love to buy the solar panels but...) I'm thinking about a cordless drill since we'll be moving every 3-4 days but would love feedback from the group.

Thanks to you all, your shared wisdom has moved us far along the learning curve.

Trish
Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
RogerR

A good cordless drill is a great idea, If he is handy he can bend a piece of 1/4 to 3/8 bar stock to make a "wrench" to attach to the drill and operate the trailer feet.

My favorite item for travel/camping with the kids is a set of dominoes. Great way to spend a few minutes in the evening after the mosquitoes come out for the whole family.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like Roger, I think a cordless drill is a great idea. My suggestion is to get an 18-volt (or more) drill, since in my experience smaller ones tend to bog down. You will also want a charger to go with it, since a dead battery on a cordless drill makes it pretty useless. As for the wrench? My suggestion is to get a 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch Allen wrench for a buck at the hardware store. Chuck the long end in the drill and hook the short end through the hole in the jack to turn it. Yes, an Allen wrench has sharp edges that tend to wear at the hole in the jack, but the hole serves no other purpose, and it doesn't matter if its size or shape is perfectly preserved.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I use the cordless drill on the awning. I've done it for 2 years now without issue.
I can sure roll the awning up in a hurry when the wind picks up. It makes the job so easy, I will often roll up the awning at night and put it back out again in the morning.......... I hate waking up at 2:AM and rolling up the awning in my underwear.....
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
P and B

"Set Cubed", "UpWords" big edition and "Scrabble"....If you're not big on words get the "Set Cubed" game.

I don't use a cordless drill for any real tasks other than drilling and screwing 'cause I need the exercise!

Phil
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
RogerR

I like using the drill to put the jacks up and down faster. The unit I made is about a foot long with a 1 inch 90 degree bend at the end. That way I don't have to get so far down to make the connection. Easier on the knees, especially on wet ground.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I just recently got a drill and have used it for the jacks, but if I didn't have a tire pressure monitoring system I think I would rank that higher on my list.

I have the TST (Truck Systems Technologies) monitor that will display the pressure and temperature (monitor and two tire sensors is around $160).

While there have been some reports of tread seperations, etc where the tire stayed inflated and the alarm never went off and there are no guarantees that it will give enough warning, being able to see the pressure and temp near real-time from the tow vehicle gives some peace of mind....and you don't have to go around from tire to tire to check the pressure all the time - you can just glance at the monitor (I still use a normal guage from time to time, but it has never varied from what the TPMS reports).

I went in with another member to by another 2 pack of the sensors and we split the pack and each monitor our spare tires as well. Nothing worse then getting a flat and then finding out your spare is not ready to go.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
PopBeavers

If you ever camp in national forests where camp fires are only permitted in an enclosed container, I carry a Pit-To-Go. I can also cook on it but never have.

I have a small set of tools that fits into a case. I don't use it often, but when I do I am glad I have it. It fits under the back seat in the truck.

Infrared sensor, to monitor tire and hub temperatures when stopped to take a break. I just got one for Christmas. Have not used it yet.

Outdoor propane stove. I carry a 2 burner. Sometimes it is nice to cook outside. This is only useful if you stay a few days in one spot because otherwise it is just extra work.

I don't mind drinking coffee made in a percolator. Some folk just really want drip. I would hate running the generator just for that. I have the Coleman drip coffee maker that runs on the stove top.

Horseshoes.

Lego blocks for leveling, if you don't already have them. I carry 2 bags of 10.

My wife and I both snore. If anyone else is sleeping in the front bunk then earplugs are nice to have.

Volt meter to keep an eye on the battery. A monitor would be better, but they can be pricey.

Clips to hang over the bathroom wall to hang clothes on. These are cheap. Maybe save that for a Christmas stocking stuffer.

Rug to place on the ground in front of the steps to help keep dirt out.

Carpet for the steps for the same reason.

Small broom. Ours is stored under the mattress when not in use.

My briquette BBQ will fit in the rear storage compartment, so it is always with us, but the propane grilles are always a little too big for that space.

Pop-up collapsible trash cans. We use three. One in the shower when the shower is not in use. It is lined with a net laundry bag. The other two are lined with large plastic trash bags. One for garbage and one for recycles. I hook the handles over the tongue jack so they don't blow away. If there are raccoons around then they are either dumped at bedtime or stored in the back seat of the truck.

Headlamp. Sometimes you need light at night and also need to use both hands. This could be another stocking stuffer.

There is no such thing as too many bungee cords.

An outdoor table. Sometimes there is no picnic table. Sometimes you want a table at a different location. I have three.

Pop-up free standing awning. Sometimes we set it up over the picnic table when there is a light rain at night. We can play cards outside instead of being stuck in the trailer. If there are raccoons around they will frequently gather just at the edge of the light. You can see their eyes in the dark.

I just can't think of anything else.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
MisterP

Check for sales on the DeWalt tool bag set at the home improvement stores. Mine came with a 18 volt drill, a 18 volt fluorescent work light, two batteries and the charger in a nice bag. Use it all the time at home and in the TM. They also have a set with a saw, but unless you are cutting firewood all the time I can't see a use for one on a TM.

As for that bent metal to use on the jacks? Almost every appliance I have purchased comes with an allen wrench to adjust one thing or another. I have a drawer full of them, and they fit nicely in the drill chuck.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
trisht

Thank you for the many, many suggestions above! Especially loved the game suggestions because there were so many I haven't heard of...

At the risk of sound like a complete girl... I think I'm missing something wrt the cordless drill. I don't see where I'd put an allen wrench in the jacks. I put a 11/16 socket on the end and it fits well. I'm hoping to find some kind of adapter to connect the socket to the cordless drill. I'm thinking that maybe TM changed the design so I'm including a picture..

Thanks again for the many suggestions...
Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	4659