TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-26-2003, 02:11 AM   #1
MawCraig

Default Extra counter top space

My dear hubby just made a removable cover that fits over the stove top to provide much needed additional counter top space in our 2720.  I needed more work room, but I wasn't sure if the covers available at Camping World would work.  Besides, Wayne is the "why buy it if I can make it" type!  

He found a piece of shelving that is covered on both sides with a formica-like finish.  He cut it to fit the entire width of the stove top, but shorter than the depth of the stove so as not to crowd the vent at the back.  On the bottom of the board, he attached strips of woods that fit snugly against the sides of the wire grid over the burners.

It is amazing how much extra space this gives me!

Just to be on the safe side, when I use the oven I slide the cover a couple of inches to the front of the stove so that the back edge won't get too hot from the vent.  If I need to use a burner, I simply slide the cover off.

And of course I have to remove the cover when we set down the camper.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:25 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Extra counter top space

First of all welcome back. I haven't seen many posts from you in awhile.

I'm a little confused about eh stove covers.  We have the hinged metal stove top cover which, while you can't really chop food on it, gives a nice surface to put mixing bowls, etc. while preparing food.  Do you have this metal cover?  If so, are you putting this new surface over it, or is it the only burner cover you have?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:59 AM   #3
MawCraig

I only have the cover that Wayne made for me.  It provides a surface just as stable as the counter tops.  And since Wayne made it from found and scrap pieces, we have basically zero dollars in it.  The stove covers in the Camping World catalog range from $40 to $50!!  We figured we just saved enough to pay for a few extra nights of camping!!  Let's hear it for handy hubbies!!
Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 AM   #4
Windbreaker

You mean your stove came with a cover? Our's did not. We just use one of those counter sized hot plate things with the copper on one side and paper like stuff onthe other. Works great, and we don't have to remove it when we put down.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:46 AM   #5
2619PDX

I went out an dbought one of those hinged covers form Camping World. It works great as an additional counter.

Gregg
Old 06-26-2003, 06:32 AM   #6
MawCraig

I had considered using one of those large hot pad things, too .... or a large cutting board.   But we take our cat with us.  I could just picture him jumping up there ..... board and cat would both go flying through the air!  The wood strips Wayne put on the bottom of the cover keep it firmly in place.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:47 AM   #7
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

In order to have extra counter space we took the overhead cabinet down using it for a TV stand in the living room,you can still put paper products in it,  where the hanging cabinet brackets are I put metal magnet hooks to hang potholders and whatever else needed. even a picture,I use the other clothing cabinet for dirty clothes basket and hanging trash can.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:09 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Extra counter top space

Here's what I finally came up with as a solution (at least for now) for more counter space, and a place to put the TV.
Let's see if the picture posts...then I'll add more.
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
fourteener

Default Custom Stove Cover

I had some scrap wood left over form another project that I had completed for my DW, and decided to attempt to construct a stove cover that would give us some extra counter space and double as a cutting board. Well it turned out nice enough that I won't let my DW use it as a cutting board. Pretty easy project, and we just wipe on an extra coat of mineral oil each year, and so far it is serving its purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Stove Cover 1.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	8517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Stove Cover 2.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	8518  
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Nice job, we just lay a large cutting board on top when the stove isn't in use.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote