TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Alrhall

Default Edge on Counter Top comming Off

My new to me 2004 TH has counter top edge molding is coming loose and broken in several places. I catch my clothes when I walk by. The problem seems to be a combinatioin of 3 or more problems;
  • The edge was not properly trimmed with a router and sticks up.
  • It was not properly glued.
  • It is hard to glue to the edge of the counter top sandwich.

Does anyone know if this is common and what is the fix?

Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
PopBeavers

This topic came up within the last week or so at rv.net.

The recommendation for repairing the narrow side strips of formica was the use an iron, but I don't recall the temperature. Also use a damp rag between and to only hold it for a few seconds. This will heat the glue that is already there. After removing the heat hold it tightly in place with a block of wood for a minute or two until the glue hardens again.

I have not tried this, but will the next time I have the TM open at home. I have a section near the sink that has about 2 inches where the glue has failed after 2 years.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I had a couple places where the upper edge of the side strip was high enough to be snagged by something sliding off the countertop. I used a coarse file, slanted upward at 45 degrees, to ease the edge so it would no longer snag.

Then re-glue if needed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
camp2canoe

Default Edge on Counter Top

Sorry to add my name to the list of TM owners who chipped the counter edge pulling something off the counter top. In reviewing this and the earlier posts, it seems obvious that this is something the factory should address in future models. We luckily found the chip and glued it back on using an edgebanding clamp. These clamps, available from most woodworking shops, sort of look like a "C" clamp but with another screw at right angle so that you first clamp the bottom and top of the counter and then use the other screw to hold the chip tight until the epoxy (or whatever adhesive) cures. Hope this helps. - camp2canoe