TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Need Help with Roof Leak - New TM 2720SL

I need some help from TrailManor and/or other TM owners, and I welcome your suggestions.

We bought our 2006 TM 2720SL, in February. When the Spring rains started, I noticed water on the left side of the couch, below the antenna assembly. There were a couple drops of water on the assembly, and about two tablespoons of water on the couch.

I contracted TrailManor Customer Service, and was told that rain might be leaking in around the main seal when the TM was closed. They suggested that I raise front of the closed TM slightly, to cause water to run off the back of the unit. That's obviously not the problem or the solution I need, since I have confirmed that the leak is around the antenna - regardless of whether the unit is open or closed.

The dealer and I talked about this problem, last weekend, and he suggested that the problem might be a loose boot or insufficient caulking at the base of the antenna - on the outside of the TM. Yesterday, I bought some caulk (based on recommendations of members of this group) and looked under the boot at the base of the antenna. The hole was only half caulked, there was a gap across half of the hole. I filled the hole to the top, with caulk, and replaced the boot, making sure it was tight at the cable end and also at the antenna base end. Also, I made sure that the antenna was stowed properly (straight back from the base) with both pointers on the inside unit aligned with each other. Note: I have NOT tried putting the antenna up and seeing what happens. Also, I don't want to have to tow the unit to the factory in Tennessee, if this is something I can fix myself, with their approval. I THOUGHT I'd solved the problem - until it rained last night!

We had a heavy rainstorm overnight, and, this morning, I found that the leak is still there. Several more tablespoons of water leaked in.

That's the background, and I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem and fixed it. I noticed from the posting that several people have fixed leaks from improperly caulked roof seams. I've looked closely and the roof caulking looks OK. The leak has consistently been as described above, with water drops on the antenna crank handle.

Other than this problem, we love our TrailManor and are looking forward to enjoying many years of RVing with it.

Thanks - in advance - for taking the time to read this posting and offer help. I will also send a copy of this posting to TrailManor Customer Service.

Virginia Deacon
2006 TM 2720 SL
2000 Ford Explorer XLT (6-cylinder SOHC)
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote