TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Gapopper

Default Roof ac vs wall mounted ac

I noticed while searching for a Trailmanor , that some have a wall mounted ac. Does a wall mounted ac work just as well since it doesn't blow toward the front and rear. If the wall mount fails , do you replace it with a home window unit. Does a wall mount ac hurt resale value. Thanks
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
I noticed while searching for a Trailmanor , that some have a wall mounted ac. Does a wall mounted ac work just as well since it doesn't blow toward the front and rear. If the wall mount fails , do you replace it with a home window unit. Does a wall mount ac hurt resale value. Thanks
I think wall (cabinet?) mount does more to indicate age. As early as 99 (I think) they had roof-mounted A/C units, though over the back bunk (vs closer to the center of the space). That and I am not sure whether they were comparable (btu output, etc)... someone who has owned one may be able to speak better to the question.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Gapopper

This one is on a 2002. It is cabinet mounted across from the bathroom. A couple things I found out was they are noisier in the patio area. They also blow warm air into the patio area. Also the cooled air bounces off the bathroom wall and causes the thermostat to click off causing the bunk ends to become warm. Sounds logical but maybe someone who actually has one can chime in.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think 2002 was the last year for the wall mount. An issue with wall mounts is the lost of the cabinet space. Ceiling mount I believe does a better job cooling.

Yep for the wall units, I think you can buy a window unit for replacement, but there will be some sheet metal work unless you get the same dimension unit. There was an owner who wrote up about replacing his unit with an off-the-shelf window ac unit and my memory was his only issue was sheet metal.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Hot air rises, so the ceiling unit may work better and is engineered to move while the window unit is made to be stationary. The torsion bars are thicker to lift it.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I think you can buy a window unit for replacement, but there will be some sheet metal work unless you get the same dimension unit. There was an owner who wrote up about replacing his unit with an off-the-shelf window ac unit and my memory was his only issue was sheet metal.
Our long-absent member HarveyRV did much of the good work regarding replacement of the cabinet unit, and bending sheet metal to make it work better. It was really quite innovative, as I recall. To see it, you can start with this thread, which also contains links to earlier work.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7477

In this time frame (1998-2000 or so), TM did a lot of development in the area of air conditioners. The original air conditioners were home units, installed in a kitchen cabinet and exhausting out the side of the trailer, as described by GaPopper. Over a period of a few years, TM changed from the home air conditioner in the cabinet, to a real roof-mounted RV air conditioner on the rear roof as described by Gonzo. There was nothing like a defined cutover date for this change. During the years from about 1998 to 2002, TM built trailers with both cabinet-mount and rear-roof-mount aircos. They moved the airco to the front roof in about 2002. My 2002 2720SL had a front-roof-mounted air conditioner, but it was a high-profile unit. It was another couple years before TM began installing low-profile units on the front roof. Again there was no firm cutover date for these changes.

As for resale value of cabinet-air versus roof-air on a 2002 TM? I doubt that there is much difference, since the TM is 14 years old and its resale value is set more by age than anything else.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote