TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Gapopper

Default How well does TM's keep insects and critters out ?

I am curious with the way TM's are designed, how well do they keep insects and critters out ?
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

There were a few pronlem spots in mine but they would be in common with other RVs. I had to shape screen around the inside of the refrrigerator vents and hot-melt glue the screen edges to the vents. I had to put new foam around wire entries (it's a 2004 and the old foam had gone to powder).. I had to re-seal the wheel well covers with silicone and foam.

No sign of rodents entering through the flaps or between the shells.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

we have had no issues.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post

No sign of rodents entering through the flaps or between the shells.
However one PITA for me is any left over leaves on the rear roof when you close it down. I always find them lodged around the side flaps in the seating area next time it is set up. Kind of a pain as you need a good sized ladder to sweep the roof clean.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Kind of a pain as you need a good sized ladder to sweep the roof clean.
Actually, there's a way to do it without more than a stepstool. Lower the rear shell first, and leave the front shell up until you're finished brushing. If you are not tall enough to see the top of the shell when it's lowered, take the bed step ladder out of the TM before lowering the shell, and store it in the TV after use. Use a brush with an 8 foot extending handle or similar. For things that stick to the roof, turn the brush over and gently push them off with the back of the brush. Brush all of the way from the front edge of the shell, which you can easily reach between the two shells. Make sure there isn't dirt on the stepladder legs.

This will prevent mystery dents on the front shell ceiling and intrusion of the fallen material, and a lot of dust comes off. I still find a few pieces that asipirate between the shells or something during towing.

Finally, if you want to be squeaky clean, you can rinse off the brush head and stepladder legs with the water faucet, and shake them dry before storing in your TV.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Unhappy

I too have found the roof top stuff inside the flaps. I'm considering getting a folding ladder from AMZN as seen in the picture. I did come up with a solution on one of my camping trips, but I can't always depend on that method. I had a freinds 14 year old sweep the back roof down before I closed up the front. He's skinny as a rail and was happy to help. Now I just sweep down the side flaps when I open the camper up and then sweep the crap out later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folding ladder.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	13953  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Gwenne & Len

We have taken one two week trip in our 'new to us this year' '05 TM......absolutely no bug problems......and I thought I would have to do something to seal the area around the bed, but no issues there either.......
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

the gaps around the bed can be filled with a swimming pool noodle
Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default I use....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
Actually, there's a way to do it without more than a stepstool. Lower the rear shell first, and leave the front shell up until you're finished brushing. If you are not tall enough to see the top of the shell when it's lowered, take the bed step ladder out of the TM before lowering the shell, and store it in the TV after use. Use a brush with an 8 foot extending handle or similar. For things that stick to the roof, turn the brush over and gently push them off with the back of the brush. Brush all of the way from the front edge of the shell, which you can easily reach between the two shells. Make sure there isn't dirt on the stepladder legs.

This will prevent mystery dents on the front shell ceiling and intrusion of the fallen material, and a lot of dust comes off. I still find a few pieces that asipirate between the shells or something during towing.

Finally, if you want to be squeaky clean, you can rinse off the brush head and stepladder legs with the water faucet, and shake them dry before storing in your TV.
A much better way is to use a leaf blower. No need for a "special" broom and spending all that time and effort. Lower the back shell, get in, plug your blower in and turn it on. You'll be done in a minute with no work involved and it gets into cracks where leaves get stuck and NO broom can reach.
MA
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default stick ladder, very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
I too have found the roof top stuff inside the flaps. I'm considering getting a folding ladder from AMZN as seen in the picture. I did come up with a solution on one of my camping trips, but I can't always depend on that method. I had a freinds 14 year old sweep the back roof down before I closed up the front. He's skinny as a rail and was happy to help. Now I just sweep down the side flaps when I open the camper up and then sweep the crap out later.
And I read about using a pvc 4x4 fence post from Home Depot mounted under the frame to store it in. GREAT idea Kid!
MA
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote