TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
Happytrails

Default Refilling 1lb LP cylinders.....

I bought a thingy to refill my 1lb cylinders off of the 20lb tanks and going by the directions, (Keeping them chilled in the freezer and filling for *exactly* one minute), the refilled cylinder only lasted about 30 mins in my buddy heater as opposed to 4.5 hours from a new one. Am I doing something wrong? Should I go longer than one minute? When refilling, it seemed like most of the gas went in for a few seconds only, then the rest of the time I didn't hear anything really. The 20lb tank was full btw.......anyone with any thoughts?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 11-04-2002, 12:22 PM   #2
tipper

Default Re: Refilling 1lb LP cylinders.....

You may have air in the canister.
The green propane canister is not designed to be refilled.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:23 PM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Bill:

I buy Coleman 16 oz propane bottles for my lanterns and coleman propane cooking stove. On the label it says" NEVER refill this cylinder. Then, it has a warning that says"Federal law forbids transportation if refilled. Penalty up to $25,000.00 fine and 5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C.1809). You might want to check out the fine print on your bottles that you buy. I would hate to see a fellow Trailmanor owner end up in jail. Maybe I am too cautious!!  Anxiously waiting to see what you find on your bottles ??? ???

BOB STRONG
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:36 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

You can't do it that way. Once the pressures in each cylinder equalize you won't get flow. You need to pump it.

The small adapter being sold fills the 1lb or 2lb. tanks with gaseous LPG only, unless you can invert the large tank. The OPD valve will probably prevent any flow of LP. Then you'd need the scales to prevent overfilling and blowing the overpressure safety valve. The final analysis is; It's not worth the effort and risk. Spend the $1.67 at Wal*Mart and buy a new 1# or 2# cylinder.

This information is a compilation of a similar question asked and answered on iRV2.com bulletin board
Old 11-04-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
KB7OUR

As I understand it, refilling the 1lb propane containers jeopardizes the seal integrity, giving you a potential 1lb bomb if you have a spark. They are so inexpensive these days I can't imagine they are even worth refilling. I just bought a 5lb OPD unit that is nice and portable. Plan to set it outside the TM and run a 5' hose up thru the flap to a portable Heater Buddy. Unfortunately, the 5lb tanks are as much or more than the 20lb ones.

Wade
Old 11-05-2002, 09:11 AM   #6
Happytrails

The 1lb cylinders I use do have that warning on them, but I'm not planning on transporting them anyway. I have a 12' hose that will connect to the 20lb bottle, but for some reason, I think that setup leaks as I always smell propane. (Mainly at the tank) I get NO smell off the 1lb bottles. I was thinking of just for using in the house down in my basement for my heater buddy. Camping, the bottle would be outside (20lb) so it wouldn't be an issue. I've tried teflon tape and everything, I think it's the connecter that goes into the 20lb bottle. Since my thermostat is upstairs, it gets cold down in the basement where we mainly stay unless we roast the whole upstairs.......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 11-05-2002, 11:47 AM   #7
tipper

should be filed under famous last words
Old 11-06-2002, 07:39 AM   #8
DancinCampers

Hi all,

I have been re-filling my small cylinders for about 15 years with out any problems.  I use them for my propane torch attachment & in the wintertime I use a small catalytic heater in my den.

I have only had one bottle leak after filling.  The bottles use a schrader valve, similar to the ones in tires.  I just screwed on my torch attachment, which has an additional cork gasket.  When the bottle was used up I threw it away.

I cool the bottles in the freezer before filling, & the large bottle I use must be upside down when filling, so that you are transferring liquid & not gas.

I'm pretty sure that if you left the large bottle upside down overnight, then the small bottle would fill almost completely, since the liquid will seek the lowest point, like water does.  But I would not recommend this since you would then be filling the smaller bottle above the 80 percent level.

After filling I always check for leaks with soapy water, & don't store them in direct sunlight or hot places.

I haven't had to re-fill any lately, so don't know if the newer bottles with OPD will work, but since they have a float inside, my intuition is that with the bottle inverterd the float would rise, & allow refilling until it fell to a level which would close the valve.

My thoughts only.

Dan
Old 11-06-2002, 07:48 AM   #9
DancinCampers

Quote:
I've tried teflon tape and everything, I think it's the connecter that goes into the 20lb bottle.
[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Hi Happy,

Does your connector have an O-ring or is it just a brass flare fitting?

If it doesn't have an O-ring, what I have done in the past is use teflon tape on the flare portion of the fitting.  These are supposed to provide a tight seal, but over time can become dinged & leak.

Mix a small amout of water & liquid dishwashing soap, apply liberally & look for bubbles.

Dan
Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

I was about to start a new thread on this, but did a search first, and found this thread.

Although I completely understand the idea that filling the 1lb bottles could be potentially dangerous, I have a question of those that make the comment about how cheap they are - just toss and buy new ones. Can you just toss them? In my town, we aren't allowed. Well, we are allowed, but it requires a $10 fee for each and every 1lb bottle you turn in at the town dump. $10 PER BOTTLE. So that cheap bottle of propane, isn't quite so cheap anymore.

I was looking at this article.... http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...osable-propan/

Any thoughts?