TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
dwhilsdorf

Default Trip to Boston & Cape Cod

Just returned from a trip with our 1995 3023 and our 2004 Ford F150 Super Crew. Surprisingly we still get 14-15 MPG towing with the 5.4L V8, same as we were getting with the 6 cylinder GMC Safari. The nice thing with the F150 is that we no longer need the sway control or the weight distribution hitch. Levels out just right with the 7200# GVWR package.

Other than a decrease in acceleration ability, we can't tell the TM is behind us. One panic stop on I90 at I495 exit when the exit ramp backed up onto I90. The 4 wheel disc brakes (and an adequate following distance) stopped us straight and true. The semi in front of us was veering onto the shoulder. We felt quite the 'clunk' as the hitch shifted in the receiver, but the pin held up just fine.

We spent several nights at the Boston Minuteman Campground (http://www.minutemancampground.com/). This was a very nice campground with helpful staff. Even had wireless internet access in the main building although with my ancient Windows 98 laptop I couldn't get online. Didn't really have time to pursue it.

Because we took too long to make reservations, we ended up with a full hookup site where the tow vehicle ended up parked at a ~30 degree angle to the trailer. They had warned us in advance that it might be a 'pain', but the F150 has such impressive torque control at low speed that we had it hitched up in the normal time. Saw 2 other TMs in the park (one owned by "Kevin"). Pretty impressive for such a small park.

We had purchased 5 day Go Boston cards (http://www.gobostoncard.com/). This was well worth it for our family of 5, compared to the individual cost of the Beantown Trolley, Duck Tour, Whale Watch, miscellaneous museums, Plimouth Plantation & Mayflower 2, Six Flags New England, Martha's Vineyard Ferry ride.

Our only complaint was that it was good for 5 consecutive days and that we were on the go for 5 straight days. As a result, we didn't spend much time at the campground.

The subway is the way to go into Boston. We parked at Riverside Station on the green line (40 min from Minuteman). There is a commuter train only 3 miles from the campground, but it cost significantly more for the 5 of us and the schedule was cut back on weekends.

Midweek we moved to Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod (http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/nick.htm), stopping in Plymouth along the way. Parked in the bus parking area with the TM.

No water or electric in Nickerson. 3 mile drive inside the park to our loop. Longer walk to the bathrooms than we were accustomed to in our NY State Parks, but it was quieter than we expected. Even longer walk to the showers, which were adequate.

The park was full, mostly with tents, but the RVs were rolling in Friday when we left. Had to back down the road the 'wrong' way to get into our site.

All in all, we'd go again to Nickerson. Can't beat the price for Cape Cod.

I'll be posting these issues separately, looking for advice/experience:

Our refrigerator seems to be losing its cooling pwer, although on electric at Minuteman I think the high outdoor temps were taxing it. On gas at Nickerson, I thought it could have done better.

The bottom of one of the included chairs was falling apart so I put it upside down to prevent the kids from using it any more. On the drive home, it somehow got torn in the front. Once I find the misisng bolts and nuts, I should be able to reassemble.

The bathroom flourescent light seems to shut off at the most inopportune times. I'll be troubleshooting that soon.