TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
chvaka

Default Generator Wattage

I searched under generator to see if I could answer this question but could not find the correct answer. I have a 97' 3023. I called TM to see what the A/C BTU's are. They told be it was 13,500. What size generator do I need to run the A/C? I really can't afford 2 Honda EU2000. I was looking at a Yamaha 2800 watt surge and 2600 watt sustained. I was also looking at a Robin 2800 watt surge, 2300 watt sustained. Will these handle it? I read about the Harbor Freight generator with the Honda engine rated at 3100 watts. That would be the cheapest, and I know some people use it to run the A/C, but I don't know if they have the same BTU rating as my TM.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2003, 06:47 AM   #2
DancinCampers

Default Re:Generator Wattage

Hi,

You need to find the data plate on your A/C unit. Mine is located inside & can be seen by removing the air filter. This plate will show what type of refrigerant & amount for full charge. It will also provide voltage and amp information.

Two items to look for are:

Run Load Amperage (RLA), this is sometimes also referred to as Full Load Amperage (FLA)

Locked Rotor Amperage (LRA)

RLA or FLA refers to the current draw when the compressor is running under load. Unless you are operating the unit under extreme conditions the actual load is usually a bit lower.

LRA is the current necessary to start the compressor from a standstill.

As an example:

FRA of 12 amps = wattage of 1440 Watts (12 times 120 Volts)

LRA of 18 amps = wattage of 2160 (18 times 120 Volts)

Sometimes the data plate will only show the FRA. In that case the LRA can normally be found on the compressor itself.

You need to size the generator to handle the LRA plus whatever margin your comfortable with.

I believe that all the a/c units in TM's are on a separate 20 amp circuit breaker. So a 2400 watt generator should handle the a/c load even during startup.. But if you are connecting the TM 30 amp cord to the generator then you also need to consider what else is going to be drawing current. IE: convertor, refrigerator, toilet, fans, lights,TV etc. If you are running your microwave & the A/C starts then you will more than likely be blowing breakers. But this can also happen on 30 amp circuits, just depends on what is going on at any one time.

Also keep in mind the you may not want your generator to always be running near max capacity.

I have a 4200 watt Generac at home. It has two 120 volt outlets. Each outlet is separately protected by 20 amp circuit breakers. I can run equipment not exceeding 20 amps from each outlet, but the total output is limited to 35 amps (4200 watts divided by 120 volts) between both outlets.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Old 07-31-2003, 06:51 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You should be OK with any of them. These A/C units can generally *run* on a standard 15-amp household circuit. However, on a standard outlet they may pop a breaker when they start, because air conditioners draw a whopper of a surge for a few seconds when they *start*. To prevent this, it is usually suggested that they be plugged into a 20-amp-rated outlet. The air conditioner wiring and circuit breaker in the TM are rated 20 amps for this very reason.

15 amps at 120 VAC is 1800 watts.
20 amps at 120 VAC is 2400 watts.

If you use these numbers as the sustained and surge ratings on your generator, it should carry it. Of course, that doesn't leave much spare wattage to run other appliances (no microwave!) or llights at the same time.

Somewhere on your air conditioner, you should find a label that tells you the amps that your particular unit will draw. Just multiply by 120 to get watts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
chvaka

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Here is how the info reads on my data plate:

Compressor 11.0 RLA: 54.4 LRA: Fan Motor 2.5 FLA: 5.8 LRA: 1/5 HP: Min.Cir.Amps 19 Amps

Does the 54.4 make sense?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
DancinCampers

Hi,

The 54.4 LRA does not make sense.

Our TM is at a campground & we will be there Fri nite. I'll check my plate and let you know what it is. This seems way too high.

My unit is an Emerson, I think 13.5K BTU.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Dan

Old 07-31-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
Happytrails

Chvaka,
Yes, I have that exact generator, about $600.00 from Harbor Frieght, and it WILL handle my 10,000 btu AC unit with PLENTY to spare! Just be sure to buy the extended warrenty thingy on it.....always wise on something like that! Had I known then what I know now, I would have bought the larger AC unit!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 07-31-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
chvaka

Happytrails,

You feel pretty confident your generator could handle another 3500 BTU? Also, how quiet is it? Do you know how many db's? Would it work in a campsite?
Old 08-02-2003, 09:43 PM   #8
Happytrails

Yes, I think it'd be just fine. And not sure how many decibles, it is a bit loud, about like most I suppose, but doesn't have that Honda kit on it yet. (Been looking for one tho). It just has a regular muffler on it.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 08-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #9
grayghost

happy trails, what is the weight of your generator?

eileen
Old 08-03-2003, 01:10 PM   #10
Happytrails

I'm not sure to be honest, I'm saying somewhere around 50-65lbs or so. I can lift it myself, though I keep it attached to one of those furnature dolly's to make it easier to move around. The main reasons I purchaced it is it's compactness though. It's only 25" long, by 18" wide, by 15.5" tall. They had a 4,000 W unit there, but it had a briggs and stratton motor, and was much larger. To give you a good size comparason, I just measured one of our typical colman blue and white coolers. It measures 24"long, by 13.5" wide, by 13" tall, which is not very much smaller than the generator. (Everyone has, has had, or knows someone with that same type cooler). Even with the rear seat of my 2 door s-10 blazer in the up position, it will still fit in the area behind the seat with lots of other room for other gear. In fact, it's almost too small to fit on the furnature dolly! As I've of yet to perm affix it to it, I may use a board under it for a firmer base. I did have it on a homade dolly I made out of an old board, and three computer chair wheels, but decided to buy the furnature dolly as the computer chair wheels didn't do well on anything than hard surfaces due to their small size.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]