TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
TammyandTony

Default TV Coax wiring

I count 5 coax outlets
- side of fridge
- front of sink
- floor by bedroom
- outside front side
- outside back side

Does anyone know how these are connected ?
The wiring diagrams I have do not show the coax wiring.

Is 1 the input and the other 4 tied to a splitter ?
- any idea where the splitter or wiring is ?

I have no roof antenna and am trying to understand how to connect antenna and TV(s).

Thanks for any help,
2021 Jeep Gladiator
TammyandTony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Cynical

I do not have all of those connections, but I do understand TV/Coax wiring.

I would say the connection outside on the street side, is the input from park cable TV. The outside connection on the curb side would be for an outside TV. The others inside would all be for additional TV positions. They should all run to where your main TV connection is at the antenna plate or it sounds like a previous owner may have put a switcher in or something.

You say you have no antenna, was there ever one? Is there a coax connected to the antenna plate or secured near by? Where is your main TV connection: in cabinet by fridge or in the dresser like mine, or somewhere else? A little more information is needed, but in general there should be 1 central location that all coax comes to and leaves from (more or less). Once you find that it should be fairly easy to track down.

If you have an antenna plate like OEM, there will should be a coax on the antenna input port, coax on the cable TV port, and probably a cable on each of the outputs (usually 2, but you have more outlets available so?).

Anyway, I would be glad to explain more once you find where your main coax hub/connections are and we can identify what is what.

Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
TammyandTony

Kathi,
So, antenna plate ?
What is that and where would it be ?
Roof ? Side wall ?

The only antenna I have is a small (12") dipole on the seal side of the front shell. Seems okay for radio, but I don't know if it is hooked up to the coax lines and wouldn't expect much of a signal.

I had surmised the back side connection would be the input, but thought that was the antenna connection as well. That means there can be 2 inputs?
Without a switch, that would make for signal problems.

I'm going to start under the sink and see if I can trace the coax to some sort of junction.

Was hoping this was some sort of standard wiring setup.

Thanks for your help,
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Old 09-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tony -

Early TMs had only one inside connector - side of refrig.
Several years ago, the factory added a second inside connector near the floor by the rear bed. I believe this is the one you have there.
I don't believe that front of sink connector is original, but many owners added it for a TV that hangs over the bathroom wall.
I'm quite sure that the outside connector on the door side is not OEM, so it must be owner-added.
The outside connector on the street side is the cable TV inlet connector from the campground power post.

In the OEM setup, the cable from the TV inlet connector is routed to the equipment in the panel on the side of the refrig. (It is easy to pull this panel off and examine the connections.) The person who installed the connector on the sink apron might have put a splitter in this line, to go to the connector on the sink apron.

Inside the box on the side of the frig is a second output that goes to the box beside the bed. I'm not sure how the cable is routed, but the previous owner might have installed a splitter in that line to feed the sink apron.

The box beside the bed probably feeds the outdoor frontside connector. There is no way to know except to talk to the previous owner, or simply pull the box and see if you can physically follow the cable. By the way, did you get a blue binder with your TM? If so, the previous owner might have put a sketch of the cable connections in it. Worth checking.

You can find out all about the OEM TV connector boxes from the Winegard web site. This information would also be in your blue binder.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
TammyandTony

Default Search works - if you have the right words

So, searching for "antenna plate" gave me the info I needed.
Previous searches for coax and TV (not a good search word!) didn't give me what I was looking for.

Turns out I have a batwing antenna, and found the instructions for it. I had seen the push button in the Wineguard plate and thought it turned on the 12V adapter. Now I know better.

Still wonder how much signal that little wing can bring in, but I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks,
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Old 09-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyandTony View Post

The only antenna I have is a small (12") dipole on the seal side of the front shell. Seems okay for radio ...
This is an amplified AM-FM radio antenna, and has nothing to do with TV. Its cable terminates in the space above the refrig, where a radio may or may not be mounted. I don't think a radio was standard equipment in 2010, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, the rectangular cutout above the refrig has always been there, and the cable you mentioned is terminated behind it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyandTony View Post
So, searching for "antenna plate" gave me the info I needed.
Previous searches for coax and TV (not a good search word!) didn't give me what I was looking for.

Turns out I have a batwing antenna, and found the instructions for it. I had seen the push button in the Wineguard plate and thought it turned on the 12V adapter. Now I know better.

Still wonder how much signal that little wing can bring in, but I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks,
That wineguard batwing does extremely well when you push the button on the wall plate. without it turned on, I get no channels

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

For what it’s worth; I also have the same number and locations of coax connections on my TM. The factory must have started adding these as OEM installed items after 2006.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Again the whole “no certain model year break point” strikes again. My 2007 3326 has an output on the side of the fridge and back by the bed, and an input on the street side. 99% sure there isn’t an output by the sink or curb side of the camper.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Again the whole “no certain model year break point” strikes again. My 2007 3326 has an output on the side of the fridge and back by the bed, and an input on the street side. 99% sure there isn’t an output by the sink or curb side of the camper.
I've got a 2009.5 and it has all of these connections, but no batwing; I've got the crank-to-raise antenna (which worked great for me to attach other stuff to it, but that's another tale...).

There are several locations for splitters, which probably got added 1 at a time as they added more ports over the years, but the general gist of the statement above is correct: input on street side, must turn on power on side of fridge, all others are output. But there's no diagram because it's mainly an ad-hoc construction job.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote