TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
johngzwart

Default Day one. Trip to Big Bend NP

It has been nearly a year since our last trip in our TM 3023. That trip was from Texas City TX to Denver and back. The 2500 mile trip was our first ever camping trip and it went without incident.
Last Sunday May 6th we left Texas City heading west to Big Bend NP. I was planning to do the 600 mile trip with a one night stop over at KOA Junction TX about 115 mile west of San Antonia.
About 1 hr outside of Junction I could smell burning rubber I glanced at my side mirror to see pieces of rubber flying out from the wheel into the center of I-10 and then the TM started sinking over to the left side - it was my first tire blow out. It could not happen at a worst place - we where high up in the hills and the side shoulder was narrow and also had a guard rail.

The traffic was zooming past on a busy I-10 - I waited for a lull in the traffic, opened the door and I quickly bailed out of my Oldsmobile Bravado 2002.
I quickly assessed the scene
1) Very close to the road.
2) I could not get access to the spare as I was only 3 inch away from the
guard rail.
3) To take the wheel off, my person (me) would be standing/kneeling in
the inner lane of I-10

The situation did not look good. I re-assessed the scene - and thinking to my self - if only I could remove the lower guard rail I could get access to the spare! I did a closer inspection of the Guard rail -YES the rail is bolted on. I started to remove the guard rail bolts. Before I had the guard rail removed two Good-Samaritans stopped to assist. One had a spare red shirt and the other had a big jack with wheels (the ones you see at the tire shops). Working as a team we got the tire changed out. Unfortunately I could only get about 40 lbs air pressure in the spare tire before the Olds air compressor was over heated.
I traveled several miles west on I-10 and pulled into an Exxon station to add air to the spare. To my horror the valve stem started to leak and the tire would only hold about 40 lbs of air pressure. I decided to continue to KOA Junction (at a slow speed) stopping every 20min (checking the temp and pressure on the tire).

Day 2, to be continued.......
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
PopBeavers

The last time I was talking to a tow truck driver I discovered that he no longer will change a flat on any freeway. He always tows the vehicle to the nearest pullout, offramp or rest area.

I have road side assistance. The last time I changed a flat tire on the freeway I shouldn't have.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Goodyear Travels

Glad you survived the ordeal. Just days ago I received my Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service card. I hope to avoid that kind of situation if I can. I discovered only a week ago that my auto insurance policy (which covers my TM) does not include towing for our trailer. The GS card also covers breakdown for all the other vehicles in my family with a number of other benefits. You might want to look into it. I thinks it runs about $80 / yr. You sure were in a tight spot -- no pun intended.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Joseph

Default More tire problems?

Sorry to hear about the ordeal but am looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. From playing around with the TM in the back yard ( no lift kit yet ) I know I cannot get my tires off with out the shells being opened. I cannot imagine changing a tire on the side of the freeway with the TM in that configuration. One would think that the wind blast from passing 18 wheelers, even when they can pull over as far a possible, would be a bit much. Was it a Marathon tire that blew? Do you happen to know how old it was? Glad that you are still with us! Thank you much.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The shells don't have to be opened all the way, but they do have to lifted enough to let you get the wheel-well cover off (remember to bring your square-drive screwdriver!) This doesn't help much, I know, but in a high wind or close to passing 18-wheelers, we'll take whatever we can get.

On my TM (with a lift kit), I had to lift the shells just a bit - just enough to let me get my fingers behind the wheel well cover and pull it out a bit. I didn't actually have to remove it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote