TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Joseph

Question Where are you headed this year?

I was reading a post where Digger was completing a trip and his last stop was Key Largo. That got me to thinking about summer vacation. It’s not too soon to be thinking about that is it? I was wondering if some of you were thinking about or planning upcoming trips. I know Kempert always heads out west to parts unknown and I hope to do the same for a few weeks myself in June. Being as the DW fell in love with the Black Hills last year we will be returning there for the entire time this year. Last year we were at Custer State Park for only a few days and she made a really bad face at me when we left. I have amends to make. Anyway, if you have a moment, where are you headed? Be safe and happy camping to you.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Bluegrass

We have several trips planned for this year.

The first starts next Wednesday. It will be a long weekend to Lake Havasu for a bluegrass festival. We'll stop in St. George on the way down and back. It will also serve as a "checkout" trip to find anything that went awry with the TM over the winter.

In June we'll make our annual trek across Nevada to the Father's Day weekend bluegrass festival in Grass Valley, California. This year we're planning to stay a few days at Granite Flat campground just north of Lake Tahoe on the Truckee river on the way.

In early September, the biggie will be a trip from here (just south of Salt Lake City) to Yellowstone for a few days, then on to Hamilton, Montana (just south of Missoula) to do a little fishing on the Bitterroot with friends who live there. Then across Montana to the Black Hills. DW has always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. I'm a Western history nut, so there is lots there for me. We were thinking of staying at Rafter J Bar Ranch. Any opinions about that place? Finally, we'll head back home through Wyoming catching as much of the pioneer trail as possible - along the Sweetwater, through South Pass, and then down to Fort Bridger and back home. Probably a 3 week trip. Maybe a little longer.

Another possibility is to move this trip up a bit into August and catch another bluegrass festival in California the weekend prior to the Petaluma TM gathering which we could then catch and meet some of y'all.

Suggestions, experiences, and warnings are quite welcome!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Default Rafter J Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
We were thinking of staying at Rafter J Bar Ranch. Any opinions about that place?
Our little camping group from Colorado Springs stayed at Rafter J Bar several years ago - the week before Memorial Day. It was deserted and we had a wonderful time. September should be similar. Rafter J Bar is a very nice campground and is just a few minutes from Rushmore. We stayed in one area that had some small cabins and a couple of non-campers came with us and stayed there.

We'd go back in a heartbeat.
Alan
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Al-n-Sue

We will do numerous weekend or extended weekend trips close to home this year. Fortunately the Front Range of Colorado has a lot to offer - all within a few hours of home. We'll do an early trip to a new state park - Cheyenne Mountain - which opened a few months ago. We'll hit other close state parks - Mueller and Golden Gate - and a private park or two. The TM owners in Colorado are very active with a "rally" each month. We'll hit several of those.

We are looking at a potential longer trip after Labor Day to the western slope - if anyone has any suggestions for something around Grand Junction I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.

I'm still a working stiff with little vacation so have to stay close to home and do weekends.
Alan
Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We are heading to Point Mugu State Beach in a few hours. In March we're going to San Clemente and Joshua Tree a few weeks later. April will find us in Newport Dunes for an Easter rally and Dana Point for another rally a few weeks later. May will find us back at Point Mugu (our home away from home).
June 21-23 will find us at Pt Mugu again. The following weekend will find us in Bridgeport. July 4th will be Big Bear Lake and so on and so on.... I'm getting tired just thinking about it....
Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We're going to eastern New Mexico in a couple of weeks, and then to the Deep South later this year. Haven't gotten to the fall trip yet.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Somewhere to ride ATVs and motorcycles offroad. Not sure exactly where or when yet.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
Bob&Karen

We've got a couple trips planned this year - around the first week of April, we're planning on heading down to Lake Hartwell in Georgia for a couple of days and then, from there go on to either Hunting Island State Park outside of Beaufort, SC, or Savannah, GA. Will be gone about a week.

Will do numerous local weekend and long weekend trips throughout the remainder of spring and summer.

Since this October will be our 25th wedding anniversary, we're planning a three week sojourn around the end of September/first of October. Plan is to leave here (northeast TN) and drop south, then head west on I-20/I-10 - no particular destination in mind - just go until we don't want to go anymore. We've done the desert southwest many times before, and have some favorite places so I'm sure we'll stop at those places again. However, with three weeks and never having best west of Tucson, AZ, I'm sure that possibly San Diego may be in order. Wherever we go, we'll have a great time.

Bob
Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
coulter

Our first trip this year will be 10 days to the Arches National Park area of Utah over spring break.
Then we have a weekend trip here in Mo, to Lake of the Ozarks in late April. Then early June in the Branson area
Late June and early July will be spent in Colorado, first Turquoise Lake in Leadville then State Forest State Park. We think we will head to the Tetons after that, and we're not sure where we will go from there.
I was planning to stay within a 1000 miles of home after the 5000 mile trip we took to Prince Edward Island last summer.. but these low gas prices are tempting my resolve.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Al-n-Sue

Enjoy your trip to Colorado. Beware of mosquitos at Turquoise Lake! You'd think at that altitude you wouldn't have a problem - but we were there in June a couple of years ago and were eaten up! What campground are you staying at?

State Forest is great - we saw several moose when we were there in July '07. We were in Ranger Lakes campground.

Alan