TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Joe Daddy

Cool Our Shake Down trip

We took our 2005 27 TM out on our Shake Down Ru. We took it up over 10,000 ft Kenosha pass and were boon docking to boot. Every night the temperature was in the 20's and the wind was 20-30 mph during 6-8 hours each day.

Here what we learned:

- The tires and wheels never got more than even warm to the touch.
- Our tandem bike rode safe and sound, only bouncing when the road was rough.
- We only have 20 gallons of fresh water, not 40 like we were told. The dimensions are 13X22X12.
- The upper door outside latch is broken and the little latch at the bottom of the door did not keep the door from popping open on the road.
- The four inch memory foam pads we put on the beds made the beds acceptable for sleeping.
- But introduce another problem, where to store those pads when the TM is folded down.
- Make sure you have everything out (or in) the TM before you fold it up. This is a real PITA
- My old U-Haul door mount mirrors were more than adequate.
- The clip on mirrors I bought from CW Shake badly.
- My new Honda generator eu2000i would only run about 7-8 hours on a tank running the furnace, converter and 1 twin sized elec. blanket.
- Having all the storage below counter tops is even a PITA for my short wife.
- There is inadequate storage for the front bed area. Makes for a cluttered area.
- Wind causes serious air leaks in the rear bedroom area.
- The furnace runs 75% of the time and blows against the opposite wall of the trailer instead of down the length of the trailer, meaning the front is toasty warm while the back bed and bath are cold.
- It is difficult to pre-pack for an early morning departure because all storage space is also required for normal access in the TM. This became evident because our sons have a very large slide in and 5th wheel and were packed and ready to go 1st thing while we spent a hectic hour (or more) getting everything stowed and ready to leave.

While we have not come to any long term conclusions about what the future will bring for us in relation to our TM, we certainly know the bloom is off the rose.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
- The tires and wheels never got more than even warm to the touch.
If you are traveling somewhere with the temps in the 20s and 30s, I certainly wouldn't expect them to get anything more than warm. Tow in 80 degree weather, and you will likely get a different result.

Quote:
- We only have 20 gallons of fresh water, not 40 like we were told. The dimensions are 13X22X12.
You might want to re-measure that tank. Your dimensions equal about 3400 cubic inches, which is only about 15 gallons. I don't know of TM ever offering a 15 gallon tank.

Quote:
- The upper door outside latch is broken and the little latch at the bottom of the door did not keep the door from popping open on the road.
That little turn clip on the upper door outside is worthless. It's not long enough, IMHO, especially as the TM ages and the part of the shell to the left of the door (the skinny part) gradually migrates away from the door. I replaced it with a rectangular piece of thick nylon (maybe 3/16"), and it works excellent.

Quote:
- The four inch memory foam pads we put on the beds made the beds acceptable for sleeping.
- But introduce another problem, where to store those pads when the TM is folded down.
I have a 1.5" memory foam pad on top of the original factory mattress, and I can just barely close the shells. You might consider removing the factory mattress and try sleeping directly on the memory foam.

Quote:
- Make sure you have everything out (or in) the TM before you fold it up. This is a real PITA
There is no way around this, but I assure you, you'll get to be pro at it with practice. We can set-up and tear down (camping to road ready) in about 15 minutes, tops.

Quote:
- The clip on mirrors I bought from CW Shake badly.
I had initially bought some clip on mirrors from etrailer, supposedly specifically fitted for my vehicle, and they shook to the point of being unusable. I replaced them with the McKesh, and haven't looked back.

Quote:
- My new Honda generator eu2000i would only run about 7-8 hours on a tank running the furnace, converter and 1 twin sized elec. blanket.
You could add a second battery, a down comforter, and dump the generator. And build/buy an extended run tank for the genny.

Quote:
- Wind causes serious air leaks in the rear bedroom area.
You can seal alot of these with weatherstripping and foam noodles (pipe insultation). Check for leaks all over the place.....off the top of my head, check around all the door hinges (there are several, maybe 4-5), be sure the vinyl flaps are velcroed down taught, and cover the air register in the bathroom with a vinyl magnet (it goes right to the outside).

Quote:
- The furnace runs 75% of the time and blows against the opposite wall of the trailer instead of down the length of the trailer, meaning the front is toasty warm while the back bed and bath are cold.
I have an SL model such that the furnace blows down the length of the trailer, and I can assure you that the back bed and bath remain cold. Open the bathroom door a bit to help with the bathroom....not much you can do about the rear bed except put a fan in there to blow hot air back there. Or get a down comforter.

Quote:
- It is difficult to pre-pack for an early morning departure because all storage space is also required for normal access in the TM. This became evident because our sons have a very large slide in and 5th wheel and were packed and ready to go 1st thing while we spent a hectic hour (or more) getting everything stowed and ready to leave.
Again, this was your first trip, so give yourselves a break. Packing up becomes a breeze after a dozen trips or so. Like I said, we've got it down to 15 min. Tearing down the bed to remove the mattress pad is a drag. You gotta fix it so you don't have to make the bed every time you setup.

And remember, every RV is a compromise. While there are more comforts and advantages of a 5th wheel, you need a F250 to tow it, and you can get away with a Suburban, which is also less expensive to purchase and operate. You will be able to go places he can't being smaller, and it will cost you less money to get there. You can also park your TM in the garage; he can't.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Scott O

I agree with Dave's comments. The first trip is usually the worst. As you learn, things get better. You did choose a rather harsh environment, which will tend to amplify any weaknesses.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Joe Daddy

Smile Shake Down Run redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
If you are traveling somewhere with the temps in the 20s and 30s, I certainly wouldn't expect them to get anything more than warm. Tow in 80 degree weather, and you will likely get a different result.

The day time temperature when I checked the wheels was upper 80's on I25 & I70 in Denver.

You might want to re-measure that tank. Your dimensions equal about 3400 cubic inches, which is only about 15 gallons. I don't know of TM ever offering a 15 gallon tank.

You are so correct, my old memory made a mistake, 13x22x17

That little turn clip on the upper door outside is worthless. It's not long enough, IMHO, especially as the TM ages and the part of the shell to the left of the door (the skinny part) gradually migrates away from the door. I replaced it with a rectangular piece of thick nylon (maybe 3/16"), and it works excellent.

We agree and I am looking for a piece of suitable material, I like your Nylon idea. Thanks!

I have a 1.5" memory foam pad on top of the original factory mattress, and I can just barely close the shells. You might consider removing the factory mattress and try sleeping directly on the memory foam.

Thanks, There appears to be little room with the unit closed. (I looked to see earlier due to a helpful post here on the forum.) I was thinking about your suggestion myself.

There is no way around this, but I assure you, you'll get to be pro at it with practice. We can set-up and tear down (camping to road ready) in about 15 minutes, tops.

If you say so. .

I had initially bought some clip on mirrors from etrailer, supposedly specifically fitted for my vehicle, and they shook to the point of being unusable. I replaced them with the McKesh, and haven't looked back.

My old U-Hauls are similar in concept to the McKesh and were no cost.

You could add a second battery, a down comforter, and dump the generator. And build/buy an extended run tank for the genny.

I have a second battery and two down comforters and agree with the extended run tank for the Genny, in fact I think it is required.

You can seal alot of these with weatherstripping and foam noodles (pipe insultation). Check for leaks all over the place.....off the top of my head, check around all the door hinges (there are several, maybe 4-5), be sure the vinyl flaps are velcroed down taught, and cover the air register in the bathroom with a vinyl magnet (it goes right to the outside).

Thanks, I've read this suggestion, however I did not expect temperatures below the high 30's and never thought I'd have wind so strong. None-the-less, it was a good lesson.

I have an SL model such that the furnace blows down the length of the trailer, and I can assure you that the back bed and bath remain cold. Open the bathroom door a bit to help with the bathroom....not much you can do about the rear bed except put a fan in there to blow hot air back there. Or get a down comforter.

Since there is an outside AC box in the furnace box, I plan to put an AC outlet operated by a relay that closes when the heater operates. Then I can plug a small Fan into that outlet which would then blow air to the back end of the trailer.

Again, this was your first trip, so give yourselves a break. Packing up becomes a breeze after a dozen trips or so. Like I said, we've got it down to 15 min. Tearing down the bed to remove the mattress pad is a drag. You gotta fix it so you don't have to make the bed every time you setup.

We agree with your points.

And remember, every RV is a compromise. While there are more comforts and advantages of a 5th wheel, you need a F250 to tow it, and you can get away with a Suburban, which is also less expensive to purchase and operate. You will be able to go places he can't being smaller, and it will cost you less money to get there. You can also park your TM in the garage; he can't.

Dave, that is exactly why I purchased the TM in the first place. Thanks for your timely and concise feedback!

Dave
Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

One of the first things I learned when camping in the TM is...if ya don't really need it and your not gonna use it for this trip...don't pack it.

Even though I pack less then I first did I still think I had too much stuff in there. Trust me I am very well aware... right this minute... of everything I had in it there because I emptied it on Saturday to show the camper over the long weekend. I have 4 laundry baskets full of items from the camper. We left it empty because we have some one else coming to see the camper this weekend.

If it does not sell...that's okay...because we already have a great and beautiful camper in the TM that tows like a dream and gives us great mpg.

When I repack for our annual late October to mid November camping trip I think I am not going to put it all back in there.

Less is MORE!

BTW you can also lay folded towels over the flaps at the bed ends if you are experiencing a draft. Shrimp Burrito is right a goose down comforter is great on a chilly night.

Packing up will get easier the more you camp.''Hey Dave...can you post a photo of the clip that you made? Where did you get the material for it|?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
''Hey Dave...can you post a photo of the clip that you made? Where did you get the material for it|?
Now that I think of it, the "clip" I made is simply the same exact piece of nylon that secures the 2 halves of the door together, as it came from the factory. I simply ordered an additional one with no holes in it when I was ordering something else. But given the unpredictability of whether or not orders are timely shipped, I'd just pick up a piece of nylon stock from a big hardware store....I know Mcmaster would have it, but you'll pay a few bucks more.

I beveled one of the edges with a sander to make it guide it over the door easier when you turn it to lock.

Excuse the picture quality....I just stuck the camera up under the cover to take it.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2617 (Custom).JPG
Views:	210
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	5033  
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Thanks Dave. Our door clip is fine...but I always wanted a heartier looking one. Your photo is fine ...thanks for taking the time.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
b&pcamping

Default Shake Down trip

Joe Daddy,
Not sure what you’re coming from with your purchase of the TM. We upgraded from a Coleman Tent trailer and we've now had three very good experiences with our "new to us" 2006 2619. The trick for us has been having those things we use frequently while camping in the cabinets most easily gotten to, and those things that we only need to get out once while camping like bedding, blankets, or towels ext... we store under the seats. We feel like we've died and gone to heaven with the extra space we have especially with the wardrobe space. As for closing up and getting on the road, we also feel like we've gone to heaven as it only takes about 10 -15 minutes close down and hook up. Your comment on having to have it all in or all out of the TM is correct, but even then I've opened up and retrieved something without a lot of true effort. There's always give and take, and we feel the TM give much more to use than it's taken. This is a used trailer, and I expect to have some minor issues, which we've had, but they've been easily fixed. This site has been a great fount of information. I hope that your future trips prove to be more pleasurable and you get a kick out of thinking of ways to make each successive trip better. Good Luck!!
Bruce and Paula
06 / 2619
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

"Having all the storage below counter tops is even a PITA for my short wife."

Some of us have installed sliding pull-out shelves that makes this easier. I spent about 6 months shopping for just the right size plastic tubs that would fit into the spaces where I wanted to keep things, like under the sink. We put stuff in the tubs that we use the most, like plates & bowls, glasses & coffee cups, etc. (and hide stuff behind them that we don't use that often in various types of containers). I've extensively shopped for compact or foldable items of all types that don't take up much space. The pots and pans all nest to save space, the plastic glasses also nest. I actually had a lot of fun outfitting & supplying our TM and we haven't changed out too much stuff over the years. I designed a shelf system that sits above the sink and the refrigerator in our 2720, some people don't like the way it looks, but it is really practical as we have 3 big matching baskets that sit on it and it also holds our 9" AC/DC TV. We keep all of our stuff in the baskets up and out of the way, and we can use to them bring back the food, etc. that we have left over from the camping trip that we want to bring back into the house when we get home. That same basket serves as a receptacle to bring back out to the trailer the things that we need to restock, replace, etc. or that we've had to take out to clean.

We love our TM and after 7 years, we are enjoying it even more than when we first had it. We've got our system down now and it seems like camping and packing and unpacking is getting easier and easier.

There are a couple of hidey places in the TM where you can keep a lot of extra stuff that you don't use that often but don't want to be without, such as under the drawer next to the stove, and under the bottom drawer under the wardrobe.

But our "TM style" isn't for everyone. It takes some extra planning to use the space to its maximum potential, and that takes time too.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Joe Daddy

Smile Shelf system pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I designed a shelf system that sits above the sink and the refrigerator in our 2720, some people don't like the way it looks, but it is really practical as we have 3 big matching baskets that sit on it and it also holds our 9" AC/DC TV.
Thanks for your informative response. Have you posted pictures of your shelf system so we can take a peek?

Thanks,
Joe Daddy