TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Wiring two 6V batteries in series when you have solar panel

Hi All

I have been reading old threads and I have downloaded Bill's diagram on battery set up. I hate working with electrical anything. I need to replace my batteries and I would like information on several things.

I have attached a PDF with pictures of my current set up. (Camper is not open right now, took these last year). My batteries are in the storage compartment under the back bed.

1. How is wiring different when you have a solar panel in addition to two 6V batteries in series? Can someone update Bill's diagram to include solar?

2. How do I turn off the solar power when swapping out batteries? (I'm assuming that would still send electricity thru and could zap me if I don't shut it off before swapping out batteries.)

3. How do I add a cut off switch into this equation? Can someone add this to the diagram? Suggestions for a good cutoff switch?

Thanks in advance.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Just replace the 12 volt battery in the schematic with this.
Make sure the batteries are identical type and age.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	16969  
Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sara -

You treat the pair of 6-volt batteries as if it were a single 12-volt battery. There is no difference.

The solar input is connected to the black positive (+) wire and the white (-) wire. When you are changing out the batteries, there is no need to turn anything off. Just remove the connections from the old batteries, take the old batteries out, put in the new battery(s), and make the connections just as you removed them.

By the way, 12 volts is a very low voltage. You cannot get a shock from 12 volts. I think that the National Electrical Code, which is very conservative, says that anything under 50 volts is "shock safe". The only thing to be careful of is that you do not inadvertently create a short circuit across the battery terminals. The way this usually happens is by dropping a screwdriver or wrench so that it contacts both battery posts simultaneously. But you can grab both posts in your hands and feel absolutely nothing. Try it, just as a demonstration and a feel-good convincer.

As for a cutoff switch, you first choose a switch, and a place to mount it. Then you cut the black wire, and attach the cut ends to the two terminals of the switch. Done. There is a bit more to it mechanically, but electrically that is all there is. There has been a lot of discussion here on the forum about cutoff switches. I've done my own, a bit simpler I thought, but I don't think I posted about it.

Perhaps the attached diagram will help. With the cutoff switch in the location shown, the battery is cut off from everything when the switch is turned off. As an option, the cutoff switch can be located at the "X", which leaves the solar system connected to the battery, but cuts the battery off from everything else. Your choice.

Let us know how it goes. And feel free to PM me with any questions. As you know, I am good at L-O-N-G explanations.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TM battery conn.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	16999  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

One other thing when hooking up solar and batteries is to connect the battery to the charge controller first then connect the wires from the solar panels to the charge controller

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Thought I had posted this long time ago & should be in archives...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	circuit.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	16971  
Old 05-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

You won't get a shock from 12V, but if your ring goes across battery power, it welds itself to the connection and turns red hot, and when you pull away your finger flesh comes off of the bone like a glove. Really horrid. I can't forget the pictures. Take jewellery off before working on 12V.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Good to remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
You won't get a shock from 12V, but if your ring goes across battery power, it welds itself to the connection and turns red hot, and when you pull away your finger flesh comes off of the bone like a glove. Really horrid. I can't forget the pictures. Take jewellery off before working on 12V.
Along this same vein.....do I need to worry about the negative and positive wires touching each other while disconnecting the batteries? If so, suggestions for how to avoid that while working in such a small enclosed area while crouched down under that back bed?

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 05-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Sara -

You treat the pair of 6-volt batteries as if it were a single 12-volt battery. There is no difference.

The solar input is connected to the black positive (+) wire and the white (-) wire. When you are changing out the batteries, there is no need to turn anything off. Just remove the connections from the old batteries, take the old batteries out, put in the new battery(s), and make the connections just as you removed them.

By the way, 12 volts is a very low voltage. You cannot get a shock from 12 volts. I think that the National Electrical Code, which is very conservative, says that anything under 50 volts is "shock safe". The only thing to be careful of is that you do not inadvertently create a short circuit across the battery terminals. The way this usually happens is by dropping a screwdriver or wrench so that it contacts both battery posts simultaneously. But you can grab both posts in your hands and feel absolutely nothing. Try it, just as a demonstration and a feel-good convincer.

As for a cutoff switch, you first choose a switch, and a place to mount it. Then you cut the black wire, and attach the cut ends to the two terminals of the switch. Done. There is a bit more to it mechanically, but electrically that is all there is. There has been a lot of discussion here on the forum about cutoff switches. I've done my own, a bit simpler I thought, but I don't think I posted about it.

Perhaps the attached diagram will help. With the cutoff switch in the location shown, the battery is cut off from everything when the switch is turned off. As an option, the cutoff switch can be located at the "X", which leaves the solar system connected to the battery, but cuts the battery off from everything else. Your choice.

Let us know how it goes. And feel free to PM me with any questions. As you know, I am good at L-O-N-G explanations.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

So what I labeled as #6 in my picture is probably the 30amp fuse, right?

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
Along this same vein.....do I need to worry about the negative and positive wires touching each other while disconnecting the batteries?
Unplug the AC power, you don't want your converter running.

Take off the positive connection first, and then put the little red plastic cap that came with the new battery on top of the positive post, and if your solar panels are connected put the positive cable end in a plastic bag and tape the bag closed. Don't get tape glue on your brand new battery post or the metal end of the battery cable. The connection needs to be clean.

When connecting, connect the negative to ground first. Then uncover and connect the positive.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
Unplug the AC power, you don't want your converter running.

Take off the positive connection first, and then put the little red plastic cap that came with the new battery on top of the positive post, and if your solar panels are connected put the positive cable end in a plastic bag and tape the bag closed. Don't get tape glue on your brand new battery post or the metal end of the battery cable. The connection needs to be clean.

When connecting, connect the negative to ground first. Then uncover and connect the positive.
I guess I disagree in the order of removing the connections on a dc batteries, Negative should be disconnected first, just incase your wrench hits the aluminum cabinet /shell/wall what ever you want to call it you will not short out. and on installing positive first then ground. *** On AC circuit the negative was always first to make last to break.*****

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6v battery, batteries, cutoff switch, diagram, kill switch