TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
DaveNewton

Default Battery Connection for Dummies?

Got a TrailManor 2720. Long story short, I didn't get my two batteries reconnected before we left for the campground we're in now. That's right, now. I thought I could figure it out, but, turns out I can't. I haven't found knowledgeable help yet, but I'm working on it. Can anybody describe (clearly) Which wire goes where to get these two 6-volt batteries hooked up the way they're supposed to be, so my TM will work?

Dave
Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
rumbleweed

If you have two six volt batteries, they connect as follows. (+) on battery(#1) goes to power wire for TM. Might have a fuse inline. (-) on battery #1 goes to the (+) on battery #2 ( usually via a short jumper). (-) on battery #2 goes to the ground ( usually heavy wire connected to the frame of the TM). Doesn't matter which one you call battery #1.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Here is a diagram:

(scroll down

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

White wire is ground....Black wire is Positive.

Attach the White wire from the camper to the negative (-) side of either battery (call that battery #1). Attach the Black wire to the positive (+) side of the other battery (call that battery #2). Attach a wire from the empty Neg terminal on battery #1 to the positive terminal on battery #2.

It's best to have an in-line (30Amp) fuse on the black wire from the camper, where it attaches to the positive terminal on battery #1.

It's best to go to an auto parts store and get a #2 or #4 battery cable with an "Eye" terminal on both ends to run from #1 battery to #2 battery (measure the distance and allow extra to go in and out of the battery boxes). If you ever use an inverter on your batteries, this is very important. For now, you may be able to get away with a 10G wire.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Redhawk

Funny this was posted today, I brought the TM to the house for the first time getting ready for the maiden voyage. Since nothing electrical worked, I wanted to plug it in to get the batteries charged up. Shore power worked fine, but the battery monitor wouldn't go over 6.8V and the system was not charging, nor would it work on battery power when "unplugged".

I was looking for the fuse panel when I remembered that the original owner said he had removed the batteries for the winter. Sure enough, the wiring was totally hosed up. First thing i noticed was that the white grd wire was attached to a pos battery terminal. I'm embarrased to admit that it took me a few minutes to notice that the batteries were 6V and connected in parellel.

It took me awhile, but I think I got them connected right.

I had a white grnd wire connected to the frame, I connected it to battery 2 negative post.

I had a Red and Black wire in the same sheath, they measured 13V across them, I connected the Red to Battery 1 positive and the black to battery 2 negative. I don't understand how i had 13V when I was unplugged from everything and no connections to the battery. Solar panel was covered.

I also had 2 black wires with in line fuses, I connected both of them to the battery 1 positive post. One was the electric tongue jack, not sure what the other one was.

I connected the "jumper" from battery one neg to battery 2 positive.

Does this sound correct? And where does the solar panel connect in at?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Try out the sketches in this thread.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7899

The solar panel has its own fuse and charge controller, so it connects directly across the 12-volt battery (or the pair of 6-volt batteries).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
DaveNewton

You people are fantastic. These instructions check with what a mechanic told me on the phone yesterday afternoon. Said mechanic is coming to see me in about 15 minutes. The new thing you told me here is about the in-line fuse on the power lead. That must have blown when my "helpers" and I touched the white wire to a positive pole. Thank you-all, rumbleweed, B&D, HarveyRV, Redhawk and Bill. I'll be around here, and I'll let you know how things came out.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
rumbleweed

If you haven't done the fuse already, a 30 amp auto circuit breaker is a good choice as it will reset vs needing replacement.

Tags
2720, batteries, trailmanor 2720