TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #61
moaboy

I have a Honda, but consider the Yamaha models just as good.
Some like solar panels.
I'd not be in any hurry here as any one of these options are expensive. Play it out a bit and see what your needs are.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #62
Zartoon

Great advice on the generators. I'm going to take your advice and play it slow and see what we'll need.

I realized the question I asked about the latch was vague, and since the trialer is at my in-laws (a bit far), I cant have a picture of it right now.

what I meant was the hold down latch for the damper. Basically..the 4 "latches" that hold down the trailer (not the corner, lockable latches). The ones that have a lever you pull to release. The bracket that they "hook" latches to, on the underside of each trailer (2 each). The sheet metal screws have worked themselves loose. it seems this has happened a few times, so they moved the brackets a little this way or that way to get some new aluminum to screw into. Seems like a design flaw.
My thought was to get a strip of steel, thread it for machine screws so they dont strip out, and then rivet it on to the aluminum with 4-5 rivets.
how do other people fix this problem?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #63
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartoon View Post
Great advice on the generators. I'm going to take your advice and play it slow and see what we'll need.

I realized the question I asked about the latch was vague, and since the trialer is at my in-laws (a bit far), I cant have a picture of it right now.

what I meant was the hold down latch for the damper. Basically..the 4 "latches" that hold down the trailer (not the corner, lockable latches). The ones that have a lever you pull to release. The bracket that they "hook" latches to, on the underside of each trailer (2 each). The sheet metal screws have worked themselves loose. it seems this has happened a few times, so they moved the brackets a little this way or that way to get some new aluminum to screw into. Seems like a design flaw.
My thought was to get a strip of steel, thread it for machine screws so they dont strip out, and then rivet it on to the aluminum with 4-5 rivets.
how do other people fix this problem?
I understand. I had two of mine pull out while towing cross country. It's a symptom of the roofs bouncing slightly on the highway and being set too tight. There is a bit of adjustment in the latching mechanism. The bar on the underside of the roof can be repaired. There is a kit from TM. It's a known issue as you surmise. Essentially 4 lag screws, (2 on each end of steel plate). I've replaced all 4 of mine. My TM is in storage as well and I don't have access to it until the week of the 20th when I take it out for spring break week.

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #64
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Z -

I don't know if you would find anything helpful in this old thread or not.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=537

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #65
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I started a short thread on the "new" East Coast TM Service center. Not sure if they are close to you, but you might want to give them a call on any issues that you might want a factory price on ...
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #66
Zartoon

Default Thank you - Latches fixed

I didnt have time/access to factory spare parts, so I ended up cutting a piece of thick aluminum bar-stock, and re-mounting the hold-down latch catch on both sides using a number of screws along the length. worked like a charm!
Thank you for the input.

I also devised a catch for the fridge door by using a 90 degree angle bracket, some nylon washers and the bracket hole for the fridge door (reverse angle).
Seems to work as well.

I'm just learning how much there is to do, when owning a camper/trailer...
I am now tackling my brake/possible short issue.

hopefully all this work will culminate to successful trips...

thank you all for all the wisdom.

-Z
Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #67
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I didnt have time/access to factory spare parts, so I ended up cutting a piece of thick aluminum bar-stock, and re-mounting the hold-down latch catch on both sides using a number of screws along the length. worked like a charm!
Thank you for the input.

I also devised a catch for the fridge door by using a 90 degree angle bracket, some nylon washers and the bracket hole for the fridge door (reverse angle).
Seems to work as well.

I'm just learning how much there is to do, when owning a camper/trailer...
I am now tackling my brake/possible short issue.

hopefully all this work will culminate to successful trips...

thank you all for all the wisdom.

-Z

Zartoon, sounds like a nice repair. My advice would be to understand why the OEM bracket screws pulled out, knowing the factory set up was less than desirable, and understand the bounce factor on the highway does have an effect over time. One solution is to adjust the hold down spring clamps (see where they adjust) and also an adjustment on the roof torsion bars. It's a delicate balance overall to also have the 4 corner latches stay put as well. Too tight and they will also pull through the metal side and too loose and they will bounce loose. I've towed my TM from coast to coast and the road can be tough on these rigs....enjoy the adventure and good luck.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #68
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... I ended up cutting a piece of thick aluminum bar-stock, and re-mounting the hold-down latch catch on both sides using a number of screws along the length. worked like a charm!

I also devised a catch for the fridge door by using a 90 degree angle bracket, some nylon washers and the bracket hole for the fridge door (reverse angle). Seems to work as well.
Z-

Now you are getting into the spirit of things! Good for you. All RVs, including TMs, need minor repairs or tweaks from time to time. You can always pay someone to do them, and go through the hassles of scheduling a service appointment, delivery to the repair site, extortionate costs, and so forth. But if you study what is needed, and figure out how to do some of those things yourself, you get a lot of satisfaction, and a lot of confidence in your ability to deal with future problems. Be proud - you've earned it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #69
Zartoon

Well folks,

thanks to all your help, we are on the home stretch.
I've gone through the brakes and bearings and have new tires installed. cleaned the interior. sterilized the tank. flushed the gray and black water tanks. sealed the lights, changed lights inside and a slew of other things. The only thing left, which I will take care of prior to our departure is to get a safety chain welded onto the hitch (ours didnt come with any attachment points oddly enough).

I'll report back on our maiden voyage..which is only 3 nights..but it should be telling..of how our family likes the RV traveling method...

Thanks again for all the help. We appreciate it.

-Z
Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #70
moaboy

You might want to consider safety "cables" instead of chains. Much more manageable and strong enough to do the job. Stock on new TM.