TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
HManey

Default Are torsion bars under warranty?

I took my 2004 3023 to a RV repair shop listed as a trailmanor vendor. they told me that they could not adjust the opening mechanisim because the torsion bars had lost their 'springyness'. Later they told me that one of the bars was bent. They told me that they would have to replace all 8 of the bars for over $1600. Has anyone every had this problem? I would appreciate advise and suggestions
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
grakin

There is supposed to be a lifetime warranty on the lift mechanism, or at least the torsion bars, so you might want to try pursuing that route - at least get a good reason why it wouldn't be a warranty repair (I imagine if they are bent because of an accident or someone ran over/into something, they wouldn't cover it, but if it bent because it failed under normal use, I'd go that route).
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Don't know about the "lost thier springyness" comment - see grakin's comment about the lifetime warranty.
My 2003 had the torsion bars completely re-adjusted when I bought it in 2008. the dealer had no problems as far as I know. And it still holds it springyness today. I can open and close it by myself.
Alan
Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I haven't inspected YOUR trailer, but this sounds like BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HManey View Post
They told me that they could not adjust the opening mechanisim because the torsion bars had lost their 'springyness'. Later they told me that one of the bars was bent. They told me that they would have to replace all 8 of the bars for over $1600.
The flexibility and resistance ('springyness') of this steel is a characteristic of the alloy they're made from. Although the twist resistance might change a bit over time, requiring adjustment, it doesn't become "lost". Unless damage changed the geometry, or rust has changed the steel, the bars remain "springy" until they're snapped by excess stress and old age. (A catastrophic event which should never happen.)

A bent bar will create unfixable problems on the performance of it's lift, but that's just ONE torsion bar (not 8). Each of the eight corner lifts is attached to ONE torsion bar. If one has become mangled, somehow, then the other 7 are probably still good. In the worst possible case, I can imagine a bent bar causing the opposite lift (street side versus curb side, same shell) to misbehave and distort it's own bar--

But it's absolutely, totally IMPOSSIBLE for one bent bar to have any effect on the four bars which assist the lift of the other shell. It's also (probably) impossible for one bent bar to have an effect on the pair at the other end (front versus back, on the same shell.) Thus, I'm calling "BS !!!" At least 6 bars are still OK. Probably 7. I don't know why they think that 8 bars are needed. They'll simply need to proper balance adjustments per Lars' really great post (post #1, item #2).

I could be wrong, of course. But it's pretty durn easy to raise the lifts way up, so that you can see the bars safely (without sticking your head under the TM frame). Please report back whether it looks like I'm right, or they're right.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grakin View Post
There is supposed to be a lifetime warranty on the lift mechanism, or at least the torsion bars, so you might want to try pursuing that route
Yes, there is indeed a LIMITED lifetime warranty "on the lift mechanism".

I was just at the factory a few weeks ago to get help in adjusting the front shell so it can open easier, and got clarification on TM's interpretation of this warranty. I was told this in the context of their suggestion to replace my torsion bar because my shell had "gained weight", a concept which I do not understand. Two very important points:

1) The warranty "on the lift mechanism" only applies to the torsion bars, and even then, only in the event a torsion bar actually breaks. Torsion bar wear, which may not be a realistic possibility according to rickst29's post above, is not covered, even if it does happen. But why would TM exclude wear (vs. breakage) from the warranty if it never happens?

2) The warranty "on the lift mechanism", just like the 1-year bumper to bumper warranty, only applies to the original purchaser. Thus, if you bought your TM used, you are out of luck. Anyone who buys a used TM does so AS-IS with NO WARRANTY from ANYONE (except perhaps from an appliance manufacturer for a very brief period).

I was quoted $200 for parts/labor to replace ONE torsion bar.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
mmayville

Default Torsion Bars

Is the size of the bolt head 1 1/8"? I need to adjust all of the torsion bars on my Trailmanor. The rear shell drops and when it does the front side near the door is up about 6" and need to come down farther when closed. The front shell is hard to lift and needs to be adjusted so that it is easier to pull up without having to lift. So what I want to do is to tighten all of the bolts down and back off from there to adjust the "lift" where it is easier to lift but close enough for the door side and not door side latches to be easier to latch into place. I replaced all 4 of the latches and finally the front shell closes to seal the unit. I just had $800.00 dollars work done on the brakes, bearings and the drums also with a new Break Activator installed so the unit works with the breaking system again. You can read my other post about the Chinese fire drill when I brought it home from purchasing it when the key somehow came out of the break activator and I had smoke billowing out of the wheel well from bringing it home from the dealer I bought it from. I managed to drain all of the water from the unit and will bring it home to put RV anitfreeze in the water traps of all the necessary places. I also want to install a 2" lift kit to put 15" tires on it instead of the 14" tires that are on it already. I am picking it up on Friday to work on it Saturday and Sunday meanwhile having new 14" tires put on it until I can put the lift kit and 15" tires on it after winter storage. I have decided to put 2 plastic saw horses on the center of the roof front and rear then placing a tarp over them to deflect the snow for the winter. Hoping it will last through a Michigan winter without having to go to the storage lot (which is not plowed in the winter) to get to my unit to clear snow off the roof. I am wide open to any suggestions from the forum to fix any of the items I have listed.

Thank you,

Miie

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
mmayville

Default 1 1/8" Socket and 1/2 " breakover

Trying to figure out if tightening the torsion bars help with lift or if loosening the torsion bolts lessen the ability to lift. The front portion of the back half is too high to lock down on the door and not door side latches. This part needs to be lower than the 6+ inches that it raises to lock it into place. I am so confused. I replaced the door side and not door sides of the lock down latches which closed the seal around the unit. But the shell is too high to have one person to lock the unit into place. I am getting ready to put it away for the winter and cannot get into the storage unit to rake the snow off the roof. So will put 2 plastic saw horses so the snow falls to the edges of the roof. I could really use some help with this part of the unit. I had a Hi-Lo last year and did not have to worry about the roof collapsing.

Thanks

Mike

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote