TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Cannot empty toilet holding tank!

We've used the Thetford recirculating toilet a couple times, and never had a problem. But, this time, when I pull the dump lever at the base of the toilet, the toilet will not empty the black water in the holding tank, so that I can dump the waste.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it?

The problem may have been caused because I used Camco crystal deodorant this time, instead of Aqua-Kem liquid.

I've called our dealer, and the mechanic suggested I use a bottle of liquid Aqua-Kem in the toilet and give it a while to dissolve whatever solids may have caused the valve to stick. I did that - about 8 hours ago - and I believe the Aqua-Kem is helping the situation (the recirculated liquid seems to be thinner than before).

I called Thetford's Customer Service, and they said I need to evacuate the toilet and spray silicone around the seal to keep it from sticking. When I reminded them that the problem was that I couldn't "evacuate the toilet," they were at a loss to tell me how to do that (disassemble the toilet?). They did agree that adding a bottle of Aqua-Kem and allowing it to sit might cause the stuck seal to become unstuck.

I am looking forward to ideas from the forum. Thanks in advance for your help.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Got it fixed

Thanks, Texas, for your advice.

The T-handle wasn't stuck or broken. I was able to pull it out all the way.

I tried sticking the garden hose up the outside drain, but was unable to unplug the drain. Finally, I got out my plumber's snake and tried that. The clog broke free and the toilet drained. I filled it with clear water, flushed a couple times, and drained the toilet and holding tank again.

I still think the cause of the problem was my use of crystal deodorant, instead of liquid. Thetford told me the liquid is "ten times stronger than crystal deodorants." From now on, I will use the Thetford liquid and - just in case - I'll add a small plumber's snake to my took kit (It only needs to be a couple feet long.).

Thetford's "Customer Service" was - in my opinion - more about Customer Relations. They did not seem to know the recirculating toilet very well, and the brochure doesn't offer troubleshooting help.

This forum is the place to get REAL answers quickly! Thanks again for your help; I was not looking forward to taking everything apart! With your help, I didn't need to!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
dlkcub

I had the same problem this past weekend. I was closing down and I pulled the T-handle and nothing happened. I tried it several time and nothing. I've always used Aqua-Kem so I don't think that was the problem. I went outside and opened the outside valve and a small amount of water ran out (I assume either leakage or left from the previous dump). When I went back inside and tried again it worked find. Not sure what the problem was or the solution either. My fear is the it will happen again and I won't be able to get it to work.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

it sounds like there may have been a vacuum or pressure buid up between the two valves that kept the inner sleeve from sliding. Was there a big difference in altitude between where you last dumped and where you tried to dump this time?

Bill
Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
dlkcub

Actually it was the same location. I was just wondering what actually happens when you pull the T-handle? If the T-handle pulls out then the valve must open. Then the only reason not to dump would be due to a blockage. Is that correct or can the T-handle pull out and the valve not open?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

OK, I know this is an old post, but I've gone crazy trying to read all the posts about the toilet and we can't get ours to dump. I even tried snaking. No luck.

It's full and I'm not looking forward to taking it apart, but glad I found shrimp burritos post on how it works. Taking one last stab by throwing a potty toddy and hoping it helps the blue stuff dissolve whatever is blocking the exit hole to the toilet. I may try to back flush as well. Strange since it was such a short trip, but no other bathrooms were available, so all we had was the TM bathroom. We also let one other person use besides our family , so hopefully she didn't put something bad down there.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

If you can back flush, I'd try that. In the worst case scenario, you can take off the top piece of the toilet and carefully probe around to see what's holding up the works. For some, there is silicone from the factory that reduces the opening downwards. In severe cases, it is not impossible to think of some otherwise moderate solids blocking the chute, if the chute is much smaller than it should be.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Thanks! That's my next step. I did get the snake down past the slide, so it looks like it may be stuck just past the opening in the drain.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

And we're clear! If you don't have a flush king, you should really consider getting one. The best (though not really) part about it is that you can see what's coming through as you dump. It was not fun waiting to dump until we got home, but at least we did not have to take the toilet apart. Love this forum and all the advice.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Glad it worked for you!

Agreed on the FlushKing, although I only use it at home. I found a clear 90 degree elbow for my waste hose that I use, so I can see exactly when I'm done dumping. I find that the CG's I go to usually have a lineup waiting to dump, I'm not going to hold someone else up to flush my tank. Not when I can do it at home -- I have a sewer port next to my driveway, and a lot of sewer hose...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote