TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
drkilware

Post 1st Timer Getting Ready for a Month on the Road

Here goes!

I am planning to hit the road for a month starting on/about 20July. I am likely to buy my TM (3023/3124) before I leave (or get it from The Car Show in Colorado Springs on my trip). I had been planning on going hotel/motel to hotel/motel but have really begun to realize that a TT/RV is probably better for what I want to do now and in the future.

I will either be traveling with my girlfriend or going solo with my two 10 yr old Labs. Its been 5 years since my last vacation not counting trips to the middle east desert, a former Soviet republic and conventions. I am looking forward to really being away.

My trip will carry me from my homestate of Oklahoma to (roughly in the following order) texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, texas and home. The goal is to visit every US man-made and natural wonder west of the Mississippi (except the Gateway Arch). My schedule is fluid and if I don't get them all this time there's always the future.

First, how necessary are reservations for campgrounds? Are they likely to be available one to two days in advance? (I realize that Yellowstone is out of the question)

Second, I'm one to take on an adventure but am I setting myself up for a disaster?

Third, anyone have any suggestions?

I am glad I found this site and will soon become a sponsor.

Thanks for all the info previously posted and in advance for the info to come.

Ted
Boomer Sooner!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
camp2canoe

Solo camping in a TM is very doable. Obviously it may be tougher to find a campsite on weekends in popular areas and easier on weekdays. (I suspect with the high gas prices campgrounds may not be as crowded this summer.) In a pinch, many (if not most) Wal Marts allow you to set up overnight. Look for an area where semis and other campers are parked. If worst comes to worst, spending an occasional night in a motel isn't the worst thing - it will remind you of how much you are saving with the TM! - camp2canoe
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Ted - as far as reservations are concerned, I know that you will not get a spot at any Colorado State Park on the weekend! Especially anything near the Front Range (roughly parallel to I-25). I'd suggest getting a copy of Woodall's Directory or the Good Sam Directory. That way you'll have some access to a lot of private campgrounds. If you have internet service while you are traveling, www.reserveamerica.com is a good source.
I highly recommend The Car Show. Be sure to do some advance work with them if you want to pick it up when you come through - they do a lot of prep on their trailers and it could take a few days. Plus they are really busy during the summer. Be sure to spend time at Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak while in Colorado Springs.
If I can be of any help while you are in Colorado, give us a call. Email me and I'll give you my phone #. [email protected]. Boomer Sooner!
Alan
A fellow Sooner living in Colorado!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Wow! That's going to be a challenge to do in a month.

Yellowstone isn't too big a problem. They have some first come first serve campgrounds. ex. Norris Go to Yellowstone!

Like Al-n-Sue said weekends will be the biggest challenge. We are traveling in the west now and haven't made reservations in advance...so far! Weekends are the biggest challenge for us.

California has been the toughest state, especially Yosemite.(Death Valley will be easy in July or August! ) We're on the Oregon Coast now. It's easy. There are state parks, county parks, and independents out the wazoo here. Utah should be okay as you can always camp on BLM land which is plentiful there.

The references that were suggested should be good along with AAA camp guides. Also if you have time research the areas where you plan to go looking for public campgrounds that are fully or partially first come first serve.

Have fun!

trex

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool Too many States (it sounds like a rat race to me)

So I think you should choose either a "Southern" trip, or a "Northern trip", not both. The rest of this post is a possible "Southern Trip":

Colorado: I wouldn'twaste time at Pikes Peak, get out West towards the Crest and the San Juans instead-- Silverton to Durango, maybe via Gunnison "Black Canyon" and Montrose and Ouray). Continue Southwest, see Mesa Verde on that route and work your way through AZ or UT to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas. DON'T miss touring Hoover Dam. (Zion/Cedar Breaks and Bryce should probably be included on the way to or from Grand Canyon-- could be on the way back, unless you want to see "Northern Utah sites too.)

Unfortunately, I don't think you have enough time to go WAY out of the way South for either of the two great Southwest caves (Karchner caverns, Southwest of Tuscon, or Carlsbad, New Mexico). You probably haven't heard of Karchner, because it wasn't discovered and developed until about a dozen years ago, and it's "merely" a State Park-- but it's JUST as incredible.

After Vegas, you might want to go to LA. Good museums, famous landmarks-- the Griffith Park Observatory has just been restored. I'd take go up the coast (101 towards Highway 1), and do the usual CA coastal things: Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Monterrey, up to Frisco. Although Unfortunately, summertime State Beach camping spots are tough to get on short notice. US-1 will be very slow in tourist season, I think it's worth it-- but you might not. The big problem with skipping it, though, is missing Hearst Castle-- Hwy 1 is the only way to get there.

If you want all Mountains and no Oceans, don't go to LA. But I think either of the South to North mountain routes are just more of the same, you've already seen big hills and pretty granite in Colorado. (Tthe west side Sequioa/King's Canyon/Yosemite thing, which need reservations done a long time ago, or the East side up 395-- much less crowded, great scenery at places like Whitney Portal, Devil's Staircase, etc, but lots of dull "empty" spaces too.)

And Highway 1 gets to San Francisco without crossing the central valley again. There's nice places to stay in towns like Santa Cruz. After Frisco (over the Golden Gate, of course) there's more coastal action, and maybe a detour inland to wine country, if you're so inclined. (I love the wine, dislike the "wine country".) Going North on the coast, maybe even all the way to Crescent City, there's plenty of great beaches. And since you missed the Sequioas, don't miss the tall redwoods, in Redwoods National Park.

Next comes a hard choice: to go to Crater Lake on THIS trip, or do it as part of a "Northern trip" another time? If you do proceed into Oregon, ALL of the drives across the Klamath mountains are nice, take your pick.
And both the North Umpqua (138) and Rogue river (62) routes to the park are superb.

That's a very suitable turnaround point. I'd start back towards Klamath Falls (Lava Beds National Monument), then 139-229-89 into Mt. Lassen. Leaving the park, continue on 89 through Quincy and down to I-80. (There's great RV parks along there, near Graegle and Blairsden). At I-80 you probably want to go and see lake Tahoe-- although, so soon after Crater lake, you'll probably be disappointed! (Crater lake is WAY more blue and WAY more pristine.)

Now, you're basically stuck on the wrong side of Nevada. (As I've been stuck here for years ) The route out depends on whether you want Salt Lake City and higher Mountains in Northern Utah, or the strip of "Grand Staircase" and Canyon parks along Southern Utah. Within Nevada it's no contest, US-50 is much more scenic. Do NOT miss the "Grimes Point" petroglyph area just past Fallon. Ely is a nice destinaton, and if you prefer hookups, its' close enough to use as a base for Great Basin National Park. Cross into Utah and visit the String of National Parks (if not already seen on the way out), ending with Canyonlands and Arches. Back into Colorado via Grand Junction. This time, I'd stay on the freeway for a while. If you want some extra high Country, a cetour down to Leadville is fun. But after the Eisenhower tunnel, you'll be going North on 40, into RNP at Granby. (Trail Ridge Road is nice, VERY nice. I think Long's Peak is a lot prettier than Pikes Peak, too). I'd go down to Denver via highway 7 approaching Long's peak close, going through Boulder (Ritzy college town), and then going into town via Central City and Golden.

Denver's nice. After that, you're on your own-- I've never been in the flatlands east of there.

Now as you see, I didn't even get to Yosemite. Or Mt. Shasta. Or San Diego. And it looks like a really "heavy" month of traveling to me, running around really fast. But if you request, I'll follow up with a similar post about how I'd route a month-long tour of the "Northern" US West. I'll start in South Dakota, because I've never been in Nebraska on vacation.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Red face Too many places, so little time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkilware View Post

My trip will carry me from my homestate of Oklahoma to (roughly in the following order) texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, texas and home. The goal is to visit every US man-made and natural wonder west of the Mississippi (except the Gateway Arch). My schedule is fluid and if I don't get them all this time there's always the future.

Ted
Boomer Sooner!
Ted - I counted 15 states in your list - on a month long trip that's 2 days per state including drive time! I agree with rickst29 - you might want to select either a northern or southern route and focus a bit. There is too much in the south even to do in a month - especially if you get to California. I have a friend who years ago went to the Grand Canyon - he basically went to the edge, looked into the canyon, said "wow", then left! I wouldn't count that as "seeing" the Grand Canyon! The point is, you've got several days of great siteseeing in each of the states (many more in some), even if you make a minimal trip.

I agree with rickst29 as well that Long's Peak might be better than Pikes Peak, but it is a little tougher to get to the top of Longs! If you are in COS to get your TM, you might as well take advantage of the time and see what you can.

Don't wear yourself out trying to get to places, only to pack up and head to another place! Spend some time and enjoy the sights. And enjoy spending time in your TM. You'll meet a lot of people who will be interested in your trailer and your trip if you hang around a campsite long enough.

And if you do make it to Colorado Springs, and you'd like to visit with a fellow Okie, give us a call.

Alan
Boomer Sooner
Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Scott O

I will answer in the "other" category since you are picking it up on your trip. You didn't mention your TV so I assume that it is more than capable of towing your new TM. Check your weights carefully and keep the weight of your TM as low as possible (ie. empty water and holding tanks when traveling). You will probably need a weight distributing hitch. Make sure your TM tires are balanced and kept at 50 lbs. pressure - check daily. Keep your towing speed below 60 mph. If you take care of the safety issues the rest of the stuff can be learned on the road.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

If you get the 15 " tires (on 3023 and 3124) you'll want the pressure to be at 65 psi. 50 psi is for the 14 " tires on the 2619, 2720, and the dual axle 3326.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Al 'n Sue said, get the Big Book (either Woodall's or Good Sam) and carry a cell phone. About two hours before you are going to be ready to quit, figure out where you will be when you want to quit, use the book to fdind a campground in that area, and them a call. We've never had a problem getting a spot (obviously excepting places like Yellowstone, as you point out). But if we had waited until we arrived at the campground to check in - disaster city!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
rtry9a

Some of my favorite places in the West:
In UTAH: Zions/Bryce NP, Arches NP, high Uintah lake hikes (north of Kamas), Lake Powell
Colorado: Million Dollar Hiway (Silverton to Ourey- north of Durango)
Idaho: Couer d Alene lake
Wyoming: Yellowstone, Grand Teton NP, Snake River (Hoback Junction) raft tour Jackson Hole, Flaming Gorge lake
California- Highway 1- Big Sur (or any other beach, all pretty much the same), Lake Tahoe/Reno,
Nevada- Las Vegas, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, Mesquite (nice hotels...)
S Dakota- Mt Rushmore/Custer state park