TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
manorlife
BannedUsers

Default bad or good battery

Is there a test you can run to determine if you have a good battery on board? I can get a multimeter but not sure how to test with it sorry if this question has been asked but my search for "battery" "bad battery" and battery test" has yeilded no results. again thanks in advance.
manorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

The easiest way is take the battery to a place that sells batteries and let them load test it. Many auto parts places will do this.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
manorlife
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
The easiest way is take the battery to a place that sells batteries and let them load test it. Many auto parts places will do this.
I can appreciate that but what I wanted to know is if there is a way to determine this yourself at home? or is loadtesting not possible without proper tools?
manorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
brulaz

I once did some load testing using some very heavy resistors and my ohm-meter. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you're confident in your ohm's law calculations and have the proper resistors. Batteries can generate a lot of current
Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Is there a test you can run to determine if you have a good battery on board? I can get a multimeter ...
As Scrubjay and Brulaz are saying, testing the voltage of a battery that has no load on it isn't always meaningful. To approximate a load test, you can put the TM on shore power, wait until the battery is fully charged, then unplug shore power. Wait at least half an hour for the surface charge to go away, then turn on all the lights and fans in the TM. Now, with the load of all those lights and fans, measure the voltage at the battery terminals. Set your multi-tester to "DC Volts" or "VDC", put the red probe on the positive battery terminal and the black probe on the negative terminal.

What voltage should you expect to see from a good battery? Here is where it gets tricky - opinions differ. I would expect at least 12.8 VDC, but others will suggest something that differs by a few tenths. I think everyone will agree that if you see 12.0 VDC or anything less, you are probably looking at a bad battery.

By the way, you have asked some good questions, but your Trial Membership will expire before long, and you won't be able to see the answers. I hope you will consider becoming a Sponsor. The rather small fee will ensure you continue to have access to all the parts of the board that you are now seeing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Manorlife, you will find out a lot of information about batteries by reading "The 12 Volt side of life", which you can find here.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

I will echo Bill's suggestion about joining TrailManor Owners. It was the best $12 I ever spent.
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default battery load tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorlife View Post
I can appreciate that but what I wanted to know is if there is a way to determine this yourself at home? or is loadtesting not possible without proper tools?
Harbor Freight sells a battery load tester, it won't answer all your questions though. You will need to check specific gravity and correct for battery case temperature after charging the battery. Wait about four hours after charging to get rid of surface charge. All cells should measure very close to each other.

The load tester will show a bad cell but not a weak one which shows up with the specific gravity test.

As others mentioned read and understand the 12 volt side of life.

Also keep in mind you are working with a very strong acid.

My original response was made because I some how got the impression you were looking for a quick check.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote