TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2001, 03:11 AM   #1

Default Axle temperature

On our 2600 mile round trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness, I frequently checked (by touch) both the tire (rubber) temperature and axle and wheel temperature at rest stops.

I noticed that the curb side rubber/wheel/axle of our 3023 was noticeably hotter than the street side.  Not too hot to touch, but noticeably hotter.  Tire pressure was religiously checked cold each morning at 50 PSI, the maximum for the tires.

I discussed this with a few people along the way in campgrounds and with a trucker who pulled up next to me.  I heard opinions from "that's normal" to "make sure an electric brake isn't dragging".  Since I had the wheel bearings repacked and brakes checked before leaving, I'd like to think that brakes and bearings are ruled out (but I know better).

Just wondering if this is a "difference" or a "problem".  Some heat is normal with hot asphalt at 65 MPH, braking, etc.

In one scenario, I was envisioning the heat from the pavement making its way through the tire to the axle, but thought that was a stretch.  Another scenario was uneven brake application while exiting the interstate, but that would't have heated up the tire in such a short time.  I couldn't correllate the hotter side with the position of the sun as we were travelling as that would have been an explanation that satisfied me also.

Has anybody else seen this?
Old 07-29-2001, 08:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Axle temperature

:Have the balance checked on your trailer tires.  I would say the hotter one is more out of balance.  Notice any items vibrating loose such as heater screws?  George K
Old 07-29-2001, 02:05 PM   #3

That's a thought.  I'll need to check.

If memory serves me, the hot side is where the spare (that came with the used trailer) ended up when we had the blowout last year.

I bought a new spare and replaced the remaining tire, and know they were both balanced properly.  I'm not sure about the one that came with the trailer when we bought it used.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:57 AM   #4

Be sure you should only run 50 pounds.  The newer tires are usually load range "D" and carry a maximum of 65 instead of 50 pounds.  If a tire is underinflated by 20% or more it will run hot.  My original tires were 4 ply and my newer tires or 5 ply Carlisle and a 6 ply Goodyear.  Each shop has told me to inflate to the sidewall maximum.