TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
KdHammonds

Default Hauling Firewood

We are newbie TM owners and have only been out about 4 times in our TM. However, one of the issues we have come across is hauling firewood to the campgrounds. One of the camping events is sitting around a campfire. Our children don't really consider it camping unless we have a campfire. How do those of you who are experienced TM campers haul firewood to the campsite.

We tow with a GMC Safari Van and typically load the back of the van with tools, the TV, and immediate needs for setting up. I really don't think we have the room in the back of the van. Does anyone haul firewood inside the TM? If so, where?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re:Hauling Firewood

Kd, I guess that depends on the type of area you're in. Our last trip I played the sucker and paid the 5 bucks for about two hours worth of dried seasoned wood at a convienience store.....for the "fire ring".......been such a bad vacation, I said what the heck......lol Best thing to do is drop off the camper if in an isolated place and let the chainsaw do your talking. If on national forrest NO NEW GREEN trees may be taken.....HOWEVER, felled trees are WELCOMED game for a campfire. It clears the dead wood allowing for new growth, and provides the camper with a happy campfire. It's usually seasoned, and burns well..... for what it's worth, pound for pound, all wood burns the same, and puts out the same BTU's, green wood will burn slowly for a long time, and still put out the same BTU's (all in all), as a very dry seasoned wood that burns in half, or less the time.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
arknoah

We've generally purchased wood at either a campground, or, at the end of the winter season, we can get a whole lot of it from Lowes for a song. When we haul stuff to the campground, we place tarps on the rug at the front of the trailer, and place things on that, such as our folding chairs, TV, microwave, and some of those plastic foldable crates. It's in the crates that we haul the wood and things like bike helmets and basketballs. That way, the wood does not fall out and scratch the floor, and it's easy to take out when we get to the campground.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I tried carrying some in the rear compartment of our 2720 once. I don't recommend it. There wasn't very much wood, it was dirty, and it beat up everything else in the compartment. Not worth it. Now that I'm older and wiser, I **DO ** carry a bit of super-dry kindling in that compartment, in case the campground wood is a bit wet and hard to light.

While at home, with plenty of leisure time, I drive around and find a house under construction, and grab a bunch of 2x4 or 2x6 cutoff scraps, preferably not longer than 4-8". Take 'em home, use a small hatchet to whack 'em lengthwise into pencil-sized pieces, and load a double handful of pieces into a small trash bag. Stow the bag in the outside compartment, use them only when needed - it's magic! Starts a fire easily, and doesn't stink like the petroleum-based firestarter liquids, tablets, or logs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
efelker

Bill's got the right idea. Kindling -- good; firewood -- bad.
With all the discussion on this site about loading weights I wouldn't mess with hauling firewood unless I went somewhere where there was absolutely nothing available. For as often as you'd have a fire pit, stick with buying it at the convenience store. Having knidling with you though is a great idea.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:07 PM   #6
kempert
Site Sponsor

I found a great source for FREE kindling and firewood. Our local high school has a woodworking shop and they throw away tons of scrap wood every year. I have a plastic tub with a lid and go by periodically to make a pick up. They give me oak, walnut, and poplar which burn with little ashe or smoke. The wood is clean and dry so you don't have to worry about it making a mess. They even help me load it since a tub packed compactly weighs a lot. Just think- it doesn't go into the land fill and it burns cleanly.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:36 PM   #7
Happytrails

Just be careful about that Bill, burning treated lumber is actually illegal. (hey officer, I didn't see a durn thing).......lol Well, at least in Va anyway....dunno about other parts.........But I'd have to agree it does work well doesn't it?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails......[/glow]
Old 08-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #8
kempert
Site Sponsor

Ditto on burning treated lumber. It contains chemicals that you do not want in the air around your camp site.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:11 AM   #9
efelker

... and that chemical is arsenic!!! (or at least used to be)
Old 08-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
Larry_Loo

Getting kindling has never been a problem for me on our trips. We primarily use our TM for business travel - to woodworking shows. Since the rip fence that I sell can produce strips as thin as 0.040," I usually make several pounds of thin stirps every day that I demonstrate my rip fence.

Even though my wife and I enjoy camp fires, we're generally too tired to build a camp fire by the time we get back to our TM!