TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
BrianG

Default Bad odor from Air conditioner unit

Dear all,
We ran the AC unit on our 2003 2720 this weekend because we actually camped at a site where we were able to plug the 30 AMP (we almost always dry camp). The cool air it put out was great, the problem was that there was an awful smell of what could be best described as swetty, damp gym socks? I suspect this problem stems from a previous problem we had where the bolts that secure the AC unit to the roof had loosened and we had water leaking in from the unit during several days of rain last year. That problem was fixed by tightening the bolts and securing the seal, but maybe something mildewed and is the source of our problem. Has anyone out there had this type of problem? What was done to fix it? Is the AC filter and foam that are visible from the inside washable/soakable in somethiong like 10% bleach to kill that foul smell? Can I get replacements for these things from any RV place?
Thanks for your help.
Brian
Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
The cool air it put out was great, the problem was that there was an awful smell of what could be best described as swetty, damp gym socks? ...but maybe something mildewed and is the source of our problem. ...Is the AC filter and foam that are visible from the inside washable/soakable in somethiong like 10% bleach to kill that foul smell? Can I get replacements for these things from any RV place?
Brian
The foul smell is musty, right? Yes, although it may not be mildewed, the musty smell is coming from the A/C filter(s). Foam ones can be washed, and using a mild bleach solution should help. The filters are also replaceable, so contact TM to find out how much they cost, complete with shipping. If you find the filters are mildewed, you should inspect the metal ducting also, and wash that down with the bleach solution, just to be sure you've removed all the potential sources of the odor.

If it is more convenient for you, you may be able to buy replacement filters from Camping World or another local RV supplier. Your A/C owner's manual will give you part numbers, etc.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
BrianG

Thanks Paul. I pulled the filter out and it had that smell to it so we will wash it and bleach it out. You were right, it is not really mildew but a just a musty smell. Happy camping.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Angry The RVP-provided OEM "filter" seems grossly inadequate on my 2006

The plastic foam "structure" has VERY large air gaps, and on our most recent trip (to a really dusty place) it seems to have "let through" almost everything.

There's NOTHING on RVP's website, or anywhere else I noticed, providing instructions for cleaning either the outdoor or indoor coils. Although it seems to still work "OK", more or less, my unit almost definitely needs a good cleaning on both parts.

Right now, I'll just wipe of the red dust from the exposed inlet parts. But does anyone have instructions to clean the coils INSIDE, where the heat exchange occurs?
- - - - -

I've replaced the two OEM filters with cutouts made from a cheapo "washable" from Wal-Mart: the foam is maybe 50% tighter, and the "prefilter" plastic layer should catch a lot of crud. (It took about 2 minutes each with a scissors.) Messing around to order an OEM replacement (from RVP or TM) seems like a lot more time, a lot more money, and a much worse filter when you're all done waiting for it to arrive.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Very old thread, I know. But has anyone experienced this problem of smelly air conditioner? And more to the point, has anyone found a cure? Our unit has recently started this mildew smell, so it needs to be cleaned. I would like to avoid climbing on the roof and pulling off the shroud to give me access to all the internals, but that may be the answer. It appears that I can't get access from the inside.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Very old thread, I know. But has anyone experienced this problem of smelly air conditioner? And more to the point, has anyone found a cure? Our unit has recently started this mildew smell, so it needs to be cleaned. I would like to avoid climbing on the roof and pulling off the shroud to give me access to all the internals, but that may be the answer. It appears that I can't get access from the inside.

And as noted, the "filters" are such a loose mesh that they might stop you from sucking up orange seeds, but anything smaller would go right through.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

On one I looked at when we turned on the AC I was barraged by nuts and shredded paper and...

I passed on that one.

Mine does not seem to have any filters, suspect I'll buy a big square and cut out a new set.