TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
paul street

Default Getting the unit level. What to use??

Just purchased a used trailmanor unit. Wondring about the leveling process. Read on forum, and in other web information, some processes using bubble levels mounted on trailer. Also see method describing using the refigerator process. Which is what I have done so far.

According to the refrigerator method, and in referring to the level within it on the floor of it, I am level. 100%.

But today, in reading the equalizer hitch informations, see where level is very important. So I go out and measure from the underside frame cross member to my cement slab; and get some very unlevel measurements. For example, on the left front cross member, the distance is 16.5 inches. The left rear is not even 16". Nor the right rear. The right front is right at 16 inches. All measurements were taken from the end of the right angle cross members of the forward and aft members; at the very end where you can reach them from the sides.

So this is somewhat confusing based on what others have said. I'm of the opinion, but am not an expert, that the frame of the trailer would be the most reliable measureing points.

Would appreciate input as I now want to begin to do the hook-up processes for my trailer hitch as related to the tow vehicle.
Thank you .
Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Default level

Did you check the level of your slab? Most concrete is laid with a run off.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
paul street

Question Sure did....

Chuck:

Yes, have taken the slope in the slab in consideration. That's the point of my query. The 16 inch measurements are on the "high side" of the slab. With the downslope of the slab being about 1/4 inch from one side to the other, the 'upward' side of the unit "should" be the lower measurements. Instead, it is the opposite.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Paul -

"Absolute level" is an over-hyped concept. There are two "levels" that you need to care about.

1. Your eyeball. Does your unit look and feel level? It should, but don't get real nit-picky about it, or you can talk yourself into anything. It's subjective, in other words.

2. Refrigerator level. Your refrig is supposed to be level, as measured on the top shelf inside it. But according to the refrig manual, "the vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls." In other words, see definition number 1.

So you have your eyeball and your refrigerator. No other system in the TM cares about level - they would all operate happily with the TM on its side. So just enjoy the TM, and don't obsess about it - if you are happy, the TM is happy. And that's as it should be - the TM designers made sure of it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote