TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2002, 08:33 AM   #1
2swans

Default bikes between vehicle/TM?...

hello. hope many of you are planning for your travel days ahead  . we leave(lord willing!) the day after tax season ends!..question is...is there room to carry two adult bikes on a rear window mount bike rack between the suv and the 2720SL TM? or will it rub when the trailer is in a turn? i already have experience creasing our suv on the rear because i dumbly :P towed the TM in an open position across our field and had to make a turn at the barn. shouda waited for the head man!! :-/ thanks for any advice. 2swans
Old 03-24-2002, 10:40 AM   #2

Default Re: bikes between vehicle/TM?...

I found two bikes were a problem with our particular set up.  
Tight turns could potentially cause a pinch.  One was OK.  This, however, is particular to our set-up and others may be OK with two bikes.  I remember having interference into the propane tanks.  So your SL is obviously different here and may have better clearance.

We now carry our two bikes inside the van.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #3

We carry two full size bicycles on a rack on the back of our 2619. We removed the spare rack, put the spare in the vehicle, and I installed a rack from Camping World attached to the 4 inch bumper with `U' bolts.
I tried to put the bikes on the back of our Suburban but they interferred with the propane tanks as was suggested.

Dick_B
Old 03-27-2002, 04:25 AM   #4
2swans

thanks to both of you. have a good travel season. 2swans.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:09 AM   #5

Some hitches  have a longer bar (sometimes called the stinger) than others and I think there may be extenders available also if you have a reciever hitch.
If you do not have a reciever hitch you can get an adaptor that makes it work as a receiver hitch that bolts to the holes in the bumper on most trucks.
Doug
Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
2swans

doug, hello, again. we have a receiver hitch--isn't that the thing the silver ball fits into that holds the TM?..(you can tell my CPA husband is working late tonight). i have noticed 4 holes drilled out of our bumper. anyway, we opted to use our thule load bars which are 65" and mount the canoe  in the middle with a bike on each side(don't get near us if you see us coming).our canoe dealer in MN suggested this approach. they carry canoes and guide boundary water trips. also, thule co. said this would work. what do you say? we just bought two bike carriers for the top of the suv.so if you don't think it will work, would you like to buy two thule...oh, never mind. goin' to look crowded up there,to say the least, but we think it will work.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:08 AM   #7
arknoah

Doug,

I always thought that you could only use those extenders if you weren't using a Class III hitch.  In other words, I thought you couldn't use them if you had a weight distributing hitch.  We were considering a similar kind of bike carrier, but clearly couldn't use them because of the hitch.  

To carry our bikes, we have been using a Hollywood hitch ("Boomer 4," I think) on the back of our trailer.  We had our dealer fabricate a hitch receiver back there into which we insert the carrier.  It has worked for us so far, though we haven't driven it more than a couple of hours at a time.