TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Dagrip

Default Eyes burning in new unit

We have a brand new 2007 2720SL that we just took delivery of earlier this month. We are preparing to take it out for the first time tomorrow so we have left it open in our driveway. We have noticed that after leaving the unit sealed up for the day that when we get in it our eyes immediately start to burn. There is also a slight smell that I could possibly attribute to adhesives. It has been 105 degree during the days here so it is getting extremely hot inside the unit.

Is this normal for a new unit or do we potentially have a problem?

Thanks!

Scott
Dagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
wwjam

Hi... Congratulations on your new purchase. From what I've seen the 2007 has some real nice improvements.

We have had our TM for almost a year now and have had the same problem. It bothers me more than my husband, and it happens mostly when it's been closed up and the weather is warm. Once I open a vent and turn on the fan my eyes stop burning. One time it was so bad that I had to turn around and walk out. I had watery eyes, burning throat, and a hard time breathing. Our trailer has a pretty strong smell as well. It smells like vinyl or adhesive to me. I don't seem to have a problem with the eyes burning in cold weather.

We recently read an article that said trailers and Rv's need to be aired out up to 90 days before occupying because of formaldehyde being used in the construction. I don't know if this applies to the TM or not, I just know that the symtoms mentioned in the article are the same as what I have. It also said only a small percentage of people experience these symptoms. It may be that none of this has anything to do with the TM, but it would be good to know why this happens. I have not asked anyone at the factory.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

This is apparently a very common problem with new(er) trailers. My neighbors bought a trailer that was a couple of years old, and the wife couldn't stand being in it for very long. They ended up selling it. Some people are really sensitive to the smell/fumes. They aired it out for days/weeks on end, and it didn't help. Have you heard about all the discussion on the FEMA trailers having this same problem?

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/3531
Old 08-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Yes, even our 2003 2720 SL will have the "new" smell when left set up (with windows & vents closed) on a hot, sunny day. There doesn't seem to be as much an odor if the trailer has been closed down for several days/months. Once we open some windows and the roof vents the trailer quickly airs out. I am more sensitive to the "new" smell than my DW. You might try leaving the windows at either end of the trailer open along with the two roof vents. That will help exchange the air inside the trailer. Also consider running the power vent (on low speed) for 30 minutes before you spend any time inside the trailer.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Dagrip

Thanks all! It's somewhat encouraging to know that this is common and not just a problem with our unit. I was worried that the burning was due to the battery not venting correctly and that the fumes were getting into the TM.

Time will tell if one of us happens to be overly sensitive to whatever is in the air.

Thanks again for this information as well as all the other great info that I have received from this forum!

Scott
Dagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

You're correct. It is the adhesives, as well as the myriad of other chemicals and synthetics used in the construction of the trailer. This is a common problem with RVs and mobile homes, and even some new homes (carpeting is the big culprit here). The smells will dissipate with time and ventilation. Keep the windows open and the rooftop vent fan running whenever you can. Elevated temperatures hasten the escape of these chemicals into the air, thus they're more noticeable in warm weather. I've heard that you can keep a few bowls of white vinegar on the countertops to help disguise and neutralize the chemical smells. Unless you are very allergic to these odors, they should do you no harm.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
SHILLICOSS

We purchased our '06 2720SL last October and have only been able to use it 3 weekends so far, but we've also had the same symptoms you've described when entering the trailer after it's been closed & the temperature starts to soar. I've noticed it more when I first open the wardrobe & the bathroom door. My eyes start burning & tearing. After the windows & vents are open a while, though, it does dissipate.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
TakingTerns

Default You need more information

I don't want to be an alarmist, but I think some of you may not be taking the safest approach to this issue. My advice is to contact the TrailManor's Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager and ask exactly what material is causing the symptoms you're experiencing. The EHS manager should be well aware of what chemicals are used in making a TM and has probably had the same complaints from factory workers using those materials. Chemical suppliers are required by law to furnish an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for each of their chemical products. The MSDS discloses information on health and safety risks associated with the material it describes. Your reaction to the smell and irritation you're experiencing should be based on full knowledge of the material with which you are dealing. It may be possible to mask the smell of the chemical, but it is not possible to mask the health effects of the chemical. You probably know that carbon monoxide is odorless, but that it is also lethal. (You are NOT dealing with carbon monoxide here; that is only an illustration of the smell vs toxicity issue).

To put this post into perspective, I am not a TM owner - just a prospective owner at this point. I do not know what chemical is causing the irritation you describe so I cannot say whether or not it is toxic. Until my retirement I was an EHS manager in a plastics plant, though. Health effects are definitely influenced by the concentration of the material in the air. A hot trailer that has been closed will have a higher concentration of chemicals in the air than one that is cooler and is well ventilated. You need to take your complete circumstances into consideration.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
SireMike

This is not just a TrailManor issue.

I have been inside new Aliner and even an Airstream and could not stay inside for than a couple of minutes because of the fumes.

The response always is keep the trailer open and ventilated until all of the manufacturing chemicals, adhesives, etc quit outgasing.

I would not think of attempting to stay in a new trailer until the fumes go away

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
PopBeavers

We took delivery of our TM in March 2005. We had a tight schedule and were getting calls from the dealer twice a day to keep us updated on where the TM was as it was transported from the factory to California.

I believe that we took delivery within 72 horus of it rolling off the assembly line.

When we got home we kept it open in the street every weekend for two weeks. During the week it was closed and in the garage.

Our first trip was for four nights.

I never smelled anything unusual. No one with us ever told me that they smelled anything unusual.

Either all of us are insensitive to the chemical odors, or some trailers have more odor than others.