TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
MisterP

Another site that discusses the different aspects and equipment for towing:

http://www.hitchinfo.com/index.cfm?e...ntpieceid=5143
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

If towing more than 2000 lbs, electric brake and controller is the law in most states. I would recommend you have the controller installed and allow you to watch and learn what it entails. You may not do it yourself on another vehicle but you get a first hand look of what it involves and how it works and why. Class III hitch is sufficient. More is always better.

In regards to the price of the TM, your asking to negotiate and he is bringing it to you from another state? Give him gas money and call it even.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
rumbleweed

Check the date code on the tires. If over 3-4 yrs old you will need to purchase new tires. Check the battery. If it is the original battery, it will need to be replaced. Ask the seller to start the fridge the day before. The fridge takes time to get cold. You will not be able to start it and immediately know if it works. Check AC.It should cool unless the temp outside is very cold.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
moaboy

That is a very reasonable price for installation based on my experience.
A class III hitch works just fine.
You don't need a sway bar.
Just take it easy and you can tow it yourself. Start with less challenging trips and work your way up to more complex trips and situations as you gain experience.
And welcome!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Welcome!

I recently read an article about an engineer who is a high profile disaster investigator, specializing in things like the BP oil well in the Gulf and bridge collapses. He was quoted as saying that in the end there is lots of analytical detail, but the actual problems turn out to be about 10% mechanical and 90% human. Towing is like that, in that accidents are almost always caused by carelessness in driving and the use of equipment, not the equipment itself.

- Take it easy. Forget what you know about driving to work, and watch how truck drivers do things. Be obsessive about what you're doing when towing.
- Read and study everything your manufacturers give you about towing. Learn how your vehicle is supposed to work.
- Early in your RV adventures, get axle weights on a truck scale. It's the only way to get the facts. Here's how to do it and a spreadsheet to do the math: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12552
- Scale weights are also the way to know for sure that you have your Weight Distribututing Hitch set up right.
- Speed is a huge factor in RV accidents. You have twice the safety margins on almost everything at 55 versus 70, and at 70 you have half as much time to learn about adventures while they are happening to you. Generally, RVs and trailer tires are not intended by their manufacturers to go over 65.
- Lots of people do lots of things differently. Treasure actual experience over the opinions of those who haven't actually done it themselves. Blessed are RV people who will share their mistakes so that others can learn from them.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
Shadowcats

Default Welcome and Go Boldly!

Yup - have a pro install - they will test all the connections - modern veh are a lot different than what we grew up on. Talk to them about the right setting for your TM - don't want it too much or too little. You just have to get in and drive with the tow - remember you have several feet behind you - watch the corners and going over humps and bumps. A distro hitch is a must - gives added stability too. Your first time in adverse weather you'll need to take it slow and get the feel of that TM back there. I've had to lock the brakes a time or two, they work, but its not pretty. Welcome and enjoy!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
kn1ghtus

Default big thanks to LovesToCamp

okay so I DID get it, and drive it home after 2 hours-- it looks in good order I WAS able to talk to $9,000 as I expected. LoveToCamp met me and looked things over with me and the father in law. It is sitting in our driveway now

We're very excited to get it out and a big thanks again to LovesToCamp-- it was a rough day for us all but mostly for him. Karma will bless ya though my friend :/
Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Congrats on your new-to-you TM! Feel free to ask about anything, large or small. This is a great forum.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Paco/Manny's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn1ghtus View Post
okay so I DID get it, and drive it home after 2 hours-- it looks in good order I WAS able to talk to $9,000 as I expected. LoveToCamp met me and looked things over with me and the father in law. It is sitting in our driveway now

We're very excited to get it out and a big thanks again to LovesToCamp-- it was a rough day for us all but mostly for him. Karma will bless ya though my friend :/
Congrats on your 2720SL! You will feel "all thumbs" for awhile setting up and figuring out how everything works, but before long, you'll be a pro! Took us almost a year before we set up the toilet. It's no big deal and so handy to have. We're looking forward to heading to Utah, the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone next month. We've taken two 3,000 mile midwest loop trips and visited many spots out West too. Great way to travel. Enjoy!