TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #31
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Well, we just purchased a used 2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD-Sport with the tow package.

And, after all our fussing about keeping things small, one look at the smaller Access cab changed everything. Too cramped the wife said. So we ended up with a Double Cab four door.

It's just as long as a full-size pickup (141"), but not as wide or as heavy, and so a little easier to maneuver as a second (non-towing) vehicle. But it won't fit in the underground garage; we'll have to park it outside. The other thing I'm not sure about is the electric blue paint job.

Anyway, I've started collecting mileage data and will post back here with the info with and without the Elkmont after we make the trip to Texas to pick up the trailer.

Many thanks to all for the advice here.
Just be aware.....you may be past "border-line" with that 2009 Tacoma 4x4.

These are the figures that come up on Cars.com
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...e&aff=national

Curb weight 4,100 lbs.
GVWR 5,450 lbs.
Payload 1,350 lbs.
Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
GCWR 8,100 lbs

Of course, the tow pkg may add some to the "Towing Capacity" but you might want to check your actual GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). That is the total weight that the vehicle is rated for including totally loaded TV and trailer (incl passengers, cargo and fuel).

@ 8100# that doesn't leave a lot of weight for trailer cargo & passengers after you subtract the GVWR of 5450# (most people, camping, usually load the vehicle up pretty good and that # includes the trailer tongue weight).

8100 - 5450= 2650# for your fully loaded trailer. I hope that your actual GCWR is closer to 11,000# but I doubt it. I would be very cautious towing an Elkmont in the mountains with that TV. If that 8100# GCWR is correct, you may have a real problem on long down-hill grades.

Towing is a lot more about stopping than it is about pulling. Pulling slow may take a little longer but not being able to stop could be deadly.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #32
brulaz

The tow package on the 4x4 Tacoma boosts the Tow Capacity to 6500# and the GCWR to 11,100#. The rest of the numbers are the same.

But I'm pretty cautious towing in the Mountains anyway, using engine compression as much as possible to brake down hills.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #33
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
The tow package on the 4x4 Tacoma boosts the Tow Capacity to 6500# and the GCWR to 11,100#. The rest of the numbers are the same.

But I'm pretty cautious towing in the Mountains anyway, using engine compression as much as possible to brake down hills.
That's great!!!!! I knew that the tow capacity would be higher, I just wasn't sure about the GCWR. That's the same GCWR that I have on my Chevy 1500 Silverado. I'm impressed.......

A boost of 3,000# on the GCWR would seem to indicate that the factory tow package may include larger brakes and suspension parts.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #34
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
A boost of 3,000# on the GCWR would seem to indicate that the factory tow package may include larger brakes and suspension parts.
I'm a bit more cynical, actually.

I suspect they low-ball the tow specs on cheaper models to force you to upgrade, just to get the tow package. On a new vehicle, in Canada at least, you have to upgrade to a 4x4 and then add all sorts of other stuff (TRD-Sport package) to get the tow package. Easily adding $10,000 to the vehicle. Even the 4x4 without the tow package is only rated at 3500# which, I think, is ridiculous. All the other compact, auto V6's out there have a 5000# tow rating.

AFAIK, the tow package only includes the hitch, 7 pin wiring, tranny and oil coolers, and boosted alternator and battery. I've never seen any mention of brakes, heavy duty suspension, different rear differential, etc. All these can be done after-market for much less.

On the other hand, my wife always says I'm too negative! Whatever, we're happy with the vehicle so far.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #35
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I'm a bit more cynical, actually.

I suspect they low-ball the tow specs on cheaper models to force you to upgrade, just to get the tow package. On a new vehicle, in Canada at least, you have to upgrade to a 4x4 and then add all sorts of other stuff (TRD-Sport package) to get the tow package. Easily adding $10,000 to the vehicle. Even the 4x4 without the tow package is only rated at 3500# which, I think, is ridiculous. All the other compact, auto V6's out there have a 5000# tow rating.

AFAIK, the tow package only includes the hitch, 7 pin wiring, tranny and oil coolers, and boosted alternator and battery. I've never seen any mention of brakes, heavy duty suspension, different rear differential, etc. All these can be done after-market for much less.

On the other hand, my wife always says I'm too negative! Whatever, we're happy with the vehicle so far.
What is the final drive ratio on that Tacoma?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #36
brulaz

Well, the differential is 3.73, I think.

For comparison, the differential numbers I have for the Ford 150, GMC Canyon, Dodge Dakota and Mazda B-Series compact are 3.55, 3.73, 3.92, 4.01 respectively.

5th gear in the auto is 1.0 (4th is 0.73) and High in the 4x4 transfer case is 1.0 too.

Of all the V6 compacts, the Tacoma has the most torque, but it's reported at 4000rpm (266@4000). The Ford F150 V8 has 294@4000. Not sure how they do at lower rpm's. My Passat diesel may have more (247@1900)! I would love a small diesel in this thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #37
madjan

we got around 12 mpg with our toyota fj.. 4.0 v6 pulling at first with a side wind then dead into it for about 90 miles..
Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #38
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Well, the differential is 3.73, I think.

For comparison, the differential numbers I have for the Ford 150, GMC Canyon, Dodge Dakota and Mazda B-Series compact are 3.55, 3.73, 3.92, 4.01 respectively.

5th gear in the auto is 1.0 (4th is 0.73) and High in the 4x4 transfer case is 1.0 too.

Of all the V6 compacts, the Tacoma has the most torque, but it's reported at 4000rpm (266@4000). The Ford F150 V8 has 294@4000. Not sure how they do at lower rpm's. My Passat diesel may have more (247@1900)! I would love a small diesel in this thing.
Torque is measured at the flywheel. That's why I asked about the final drive ratio. The lower the gears, the more torque that gets to the ground at the same vehicle speed (because of the higher engine RPM).

The thing that I really loved about my S10 4.3 V6 was that it developed 260# of torque @ 2600RPM. My Silverado 4.8 V8 develops 295# @ 4000RPM and less torque at 2600RPM then the 4.3 V6 did. Like your Tacoma, the max torque is reached @ 4000RPM and no one revs their engine that high over long steep grades (at least I hope they don't). Therefore, the "Real" pulling power on the S10 4.3 V6 was higher (plus the truck was substantially lighter).

I would think that your Tacoma has about the same (or even higher) actual pulling power as my Silverado V8 (3.23 gears) due to your lower gear ratio and far lighter weight (you are probably 2K# lighter over-all).

However, pulling power is only part of the towing experience. What really counts is breaking power. We are probably about equal there. Your truck being lighter allows for your smaller brakes. However, you should be very cautious on long down-hill grades (as should we all). That TM is going to be pushing you hard and the electric brakes on the TM will fade sooner than your truck brakes will. If/when the TM brakes fade, your TV brakes may be shortly behind them.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #39
brulaz

We just got back from Texas with our Elkmont. Got 14 mpg(US) on the straight and level, cruising on auto-pilot in fifth gear. But only 11 mpg(US) when buffeted by 30-40 mph winds off Lake Erie. No auto-pilot then. It was also close to freezing then which reduces fuel efficiency. Overall, got 12.5 mpg(US) for the trip.