TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Unstable_Tripod

Default Power Center problems

I rarely use hookups, preferring primitive CGs. But, I was at an RV park in eastern Oregon for the eclipse. I was plugged into 30 amp service for four days. When I moved on to a primitive CG in the Idaho mountains I found that my batteries (two Group 27s wired in parallel) were deeply discharged. That was odd because they were at 100% when I arrived at the RV park. I had to run my generator and battery charger for many, many hours to recharge.

On the way home I stopped at an Idaho state park that had hookups to do an experiment. I tested the battery charge (no load) before plugging in and then tested it again after plugging in. No difference. I tried all of the DC lights, water pump, fans, etc., while plugged in and they worked but when I disconnected the batteries and remained plugged in they did not work. The AC outlets did work while plugged in.

From these experiences I deduce that the converter and battery-charging functions of the power center (WFCO) do not work while the AC distribution system does work. I figure that my batteries were so badly discharged when I arrived at the primitive CG because the trailer had actually been operating on them instead of converted DC from the external AC source.

Questions: Could the RV park's AC supply have damaged/destroyed the converter and charger functions of the power center? If so, how? Can I repair or replace just the converting and charging components of the power center or do I have to replace the whole thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight. BTW, the trailer is a 2009 2619. I can't check the model number of the WFCO right now because the trailer is closed and in the storage yard. If anyone knows the model number WFCO used then I'd appreciate it. If I
have to replace the whole unit, do I get the same model or is there a newer version?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I very much doubt that the campground power somehow destroyed the WFCO, but left the AC outlets untouched. So that is good news.

What we know is that all the fuses (small colored plastic blocks) in the power center are good, and the main battery fuse is good. That eliminates a lot. What we also know is that the battery charger is not producing 12 VDC - or that it is producing it properly, but the 12 VDC is not getting out of the charger.

I've never had a WFCO, so I can't give you exact details, but the next two things to check are:
1. There is a circuit breaker (black plastic handle in the WFCO power distribution - there are four or five of them) that brings AC power into the charger circuit. If this breaker has popped, the charger will get no AC power, and so will produce no DC. Easiest way to check is simply to snap all of the breakers off, then back on again.

2. The WFCO has one or more internal fuses that carry the 12-volt charging current out of the charger and over to the battery. These could be either glass tubular fuses or colored plastic like those above. You need use the WFCO manual to find and check these fuses.

Let us know what you find.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Unstable_Tripod

I checked the breakers and all were OK -- in the ON position. I did not check all of the DC fuses at the time so that will happen next time I open the trailer. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would check the two reverse polarity fuses. You should have a roll of fuses and then there should be 2 by themself. Those are the reverse polarity fuses. FYI my 2009 TM the factory wired the battery + through the last fuse in the roll of load fuses, not the battery plus lug in the converter. Its strange

When looking at you converter get the model number and share it. Im think you have a wf-8945.

Also, My old TM had a gfi breaker. They look fine when they trip the gfi, but will not pass power until you reset the gfi.

In you TM blue book, in the converter owners manual, there are some aids for troubleshooting the problem you described.

here is a link to some of the wf-8945 manuals http://wfcoelectronics.com/product-downloads/
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

WFCO with descriptions of breakers/fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wf8955an.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	16072  
Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Unstable_Tripod

I went to the storage yard and opened my trailer today. The power center is a WFCO 8955. All DC fuses were good. So, at this point I don't know what to do next.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

You can't check AC circuit breakers by observing that they are in the "ON" position. You have to flip them ALL THE WAY to OFF and then turn them on. It is VERY common for people to assume that a tripped breaker is OK because it looks like it's ON. I hope that is the case in your TM.

Paul
Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
Unstable_Tripod

While I was just reporting they were in the ON position in my last post, I did verify that they were on by doing what you described (flip them Off and then On) when I first discovered the problem in the dry CG and again when I did my experiments at the next CG with power.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Unstable_Tripod

After running some tests to verify that the converter/charger module was indeed dead I bought a new unit. I got the WF-8955 MBA and just finished installing it. It works perfectly. The box said 10 minutes to install. It was an hour. The difficult thing is working in the small space I have and dealing with the thick, stiff wires that are reluctant to thread under, over and around the other components and wires.