TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
mmayville

Default My TM was hit by another RV Parking

Ok I get a call tonight that someone hit my TM at the storage lot. I want honest opinions of what needs to be fixed on my TM. Looks like the R/Front Seam seal needs to be chaulked and resealed. Then the complete awning needs to be replaced. I am not sure if the unit will raise at this point. Someone was pulling straight in to the spot to the left (in picture and swung wide) and hit my right corner. I am leaving for NC Outer Banks in 2 weeks and am hoping just to have to replace the R/Corner seal and the awning before we leave. Suggestions????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_191140.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	13722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_191423.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	13723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_191232.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	730.7 KB
ID:	13724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_191245.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1,018.4 KB
ID:	13725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_191223.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	624.5 KB
ID:	13726  

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

And dragged it about 10 feet before noticing ? Hope they have a lot of insurance.

Well figure $1k just for the awning (is what it cost me and I picked up at the factory). No idea what resealing the corner (and how much inside damage was done).

From the propane bottles you also have a slide and need to assess damage to that as well.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Take plenty of pics when you go to retrieve it, have a manager at the lot there as witness even would not hurt either. There may be underlying damage to the slide as Padgett said. Plus getting some repair parts may be hard to get.

I say get pics and witness as my wife works for lawyers and I hear that stuff all the time. better to cover your *** than not

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

OMG! How the heck did they drag the front down so deep the hitch is practically buried. Wow so sorry this happened two weeks prior to your vacation. I would suggest looking into other camper rental options cause it doesn't look like something that can be fixed quickly.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

From the pics, if it were me, I would clean up the curbside wall where it got torn back, so that it is somewhat back into place as it was prior to damage. Then, using good (RV grade) sealer (I believe everyone says it is not silicone), apply the sealer to the inside of the corner bead before placing, then add more sealer to the outer edge of the bead. I would tape it in place until dry, so it doesn't slip.

Also, you may call the factory and explain you need to quickly replace a torn-off corner bead, direct them to your pics, and ask their opinion on the best way to do it quickly. I have to imagine that their production manager can give you a quick way to do it to last (I forget his name). He is a very experienced RV person, and has repaired the same spot on at least one other TM. Granted, he took it apart to repair something else, but he still had the bead off, and had to put it back on.

I agree, also with pictures, pictures, pictures. Even closer than what you posted, to show more detail of the corner area.

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

There's a pretty good chance the shell is bent out of shape. It really should go to an RV shop for an estimate. If you do this yourself, you will get ripped off.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Either you're dismay (put politely) does not come across in your post, or you are taking this FAR better than I would. I realize that it is only money, only possessions, etc, but man, the incompetence necessary to pull off that type of damage (especially given that they were pulling FORWARD when this happened)!!!! Wow! If they are that oblivious to their surrounding while executing more "basic" maneuvers, I would not even want to be in the same county with them while they were piloting their land-yacht down the road. I mean, COME ON, they made contact, pushed the TM several feet, did significant damage to it, it dropped during the process, all of this would have made CONSIDERABLE noise, and they did not notice? Having made contact would have been palatable (I could see misjudging distance / depth and striking the TM) but this?

Now that my blood pressure is up (for an event that doesn't even directly affect me), I'll try and calm back down. I am sorry this happened to you. Are their any better storage facilities? There are pictures, was there an eye-witness? Do we know the perpetrator? (or at least know how to contact)? Have they admitted fault? Was a police report filed?

Just... WOW!

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Yeah the other RV got some good shots in but I bet it will be feeling your TrailManor in the morning...

But all kidding aside I am really sorry to see this. Do you, or more importantly do THEY, have insurance? That doesn't look like a quick, easy, or inexpensive repair...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
mmayville

Yes thank you!! I will be taking more pictures today. The lot manager called me last night about the damage. I have the other persons name and phone number. Regardless that she was pretty upset about the whole thing being in tears on the phone when I called her, I asked for her insurance policy number (AAA) and she is suppose to call me today. She was alone without her husband because he was working and she decided to park their 4 week old RV (New owners) and pull straight through the lot to get to the one on the other side instead of backing it in on the other row. Michigan is a no fault state so I have to call my insurance company today after getting her policy number. The reason it looks like the tongue hitch is so far down in the dirt is because I use an orange cone to put my hitch on so I do not have to extend it so far to lift it. The hitch is only about 9" in the gravel. I too am concerned about the slide. We are remodeling the slide end of the TM so the sofa bed is at the house. Hopefully it didn't take to hard of a hit. Inexperience without a spotter is a dangerous combination when parking a full size RV. She took a hit on the door side of her unit which I will look at today. I am almost 60 years old now and yes this should raise my blood pressure like this hot weather we are having but I always consider the alternatives of what happens when you get upset and usually bad things happen. Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. This kind of stuff is why I really need a VACATION!!

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
ChefLamont

In the discussions with your/her insurance company, I would discuss (read: press) them covering a rental for any part of your trip that will be missed because of the fix.

I dont want to be a pessimist, but that does not look like a simple awning and a quick bondo job. The last thing you want to do is rush the repair shop because you are leaving, have the claim closed and then fin all of the "rest" of the damage on the road. I agree that there is no need for yelling or fist pounding, but there is also no need to not get it fixed right. It is why we buy insurance.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote