TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question Need campground advice for No Cascade NP, Glacier NP. and Western Canada.

I am beginning to plan our summer trip as I may need to make some early reservations because my thought is that July might be good; with the elevation it will be cooler. Plans are tentative now but it looks like No. Cascade’s NP, Glacier NP, Banff NP, Canadian Glacier NP, Jasper NP, and on over to Vancouver BC.

I am looking for suggestions for campgrounds to stay at, places to see and things to do along the way. I picked up some helpful advice last year when we did our eastern loop. We went in the fall last year and most of the time we had the campgrounds almost to ourselves.

That trip was nothing short of spectacular. We entered Canada from Minnesota, went around Lake Superior, up the St. Lawrence Seaway, across the top of New Brunswick, through Prince Edward Island, up to Cape Breton Highlands, down the east coast of Nova Scotia, back into U.S. to Acadia NP, south to the Gulf of Mexico, west to Calf., and north home. I have downloaded pictures to Flickr and a link is in my TM signature.

Thanks a head of time for any suggestions you may have.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Arrive at Jasper NP in the morning, that extends your entrance fee time in park, 24 hours from 4 pm to 4 pm the next day is the way it was explained to us in 2010. We also got the senior discount on the fee even though we told them we weren't Canadian residents. This gave us time tour Jasper and camp over nite in Baniff. If you have time you might like the glacier bus tour, to our regret we didn't do it. We stayed outside Jasper NP at a provincial park then entered the np the next am. We were going to stay at the KOA; but one look and we couldn't get away fast enough.

BC Parks and Trails is a good free CG resource once you get the hang on using it.
North Dickey is a good USFS CG near the border but very popular with our Canadian neighbors. In 2010 N. Dickey had two reserve able sites. Didn't have reservations and had to wait a couple of hours until someone left. Poor planning on our part.
July and August is the peak camping season in Canada so prices for Provincial and NP CG's are higher. Like here holiday weekends are the busiest so you need to be aware of their holidays.
We liked all the provincial parks we camped in. They all supplied firewood, some it cost you a burn permit, $8 in Baniff, but plenty of wood. Others the CG operator came around selling wood or had an area to pick up what you wanted and an honor can.

In 2010 BC was cheaper then Alberta for camping.

I mentioned Deep Creek on the west side of Glacier NP in another of your threads.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Scrubjaynest thanks for the input. I am having a devil of a time finding Deep Creek FS campground you said you stayed at near Glacier NP. Could it have been Big Creek Campground you were at?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
kempert
Site Sponsor

Two Medicine in Glacier is one of my most favorite campsites in the entire country. You have to see the setting to believe it. It's located only about 10 miles north of the town of East Glacier but off the beaten path.
FWIW - During my several trips to GNP, I've noticed that it's much more enjoyable to travel east to west on Going-to-the-Sun. Most people stay on the west side so you're going against the flow of traffic, not stuck in it.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote