TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
Carl22

Default cross contry info

How would I start getting info for a cross country trip. I belong to AAA and wounder if this is the first place to start?

Thank You

Carl
Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

You could start there...CSAA (California) has camping maps for our state, and they probably have them for other states. The camping info is pretty sketchy, tho. I'd buy one of those big directories that have all the campgrounds across the US, like Woodalls http://www.woodalls.com/ or the Trailer Life directory - http://www.tldirectory.com/shop/display.cfm?subcat=2. I bought the Woodalls guide, it's about as big as a phone book from a mid-sized city. I found that the Woodalls guide is aimed more towards RV-type parks for bigger rigs than the type of camping we like to do, but at least it will help find you somewhere to stay when you are in need.

This is a fun website: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ You just might find something on there that you just HAVE to see on your trip, like the giant ball of twine in Kansas and Carhenge in Nebraska.

I don't know if you ever check out any other RV-type forums, this site has a section called "Campgrounds, Resorts and Attractions" http://www.rv.net/forum/ where you can post your questions and ask for recommendations for a specific area. There are LOTS of members across the US and someone always chimes in with something to say.

If you are thinking about coming to CA, feel free to pm me, we've been to a lot of places camping here.

Dee
Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
TexasThunder

I'm not famaliar with what AAA may offer for traveling campers, I've used them in the past for trip tickets, or whatever they are called, for just trips.

The internet offers some planning aids, some are free, others charge a little.
Good Sams online trip planner and Woodalls online site for planning work for me. The Good Sams offers info in exits, dump stations, fuel stops, mileage/hour markers, grade info, price of gas in that area, and places to stay offering Good Sam discount, etc. Woodalls campground search is good for getting a broad range of sites near a destination.

Google map feature is great. Get distances and a route between two locations, zoom in and pan around to see State Parks.

All this was preplanning. If my husband wasn't sitting there with the GPS and computer telling where to go next, I'd be lost.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Carl22

Thank you all for your great info. Preplan seems to be the key word. As a firefighter in RI We do preplans on our major buildings, so I guess that preplaning a trip would not be that new to me. I am in the process of trying to buy a 2004 leftover 3023 from a dealer but we seem to be 800.00 apart.

Thank You

Carl
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
BrigCA61

Default Trip Planning Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl22
How would I start getting info for a cross country trip. I belong to AAA and wounder if this is the first place to start?

Thank You

Carl
In addition to all the good info already posted, I'd like to suggest a software program called "Rand McNally Trip Maker". I have been using it for somewhere around 10 years now and always refer to it for cross country or local trips. Most any place that sells software carries this program. It is extremely useful and allows you to plan your route several different ways (i.e. most scenic, quickest, shortest) as well as look up various points of interest along the way including campgrounds and hotel/motels. You can then print everything out for easy reference on the road. Since my software doesn't show RV Parks, I use Woodalls Campground directory to find places to stay in the areas along my route or at my destination. I will also search "Google" online when I start to pinpoint my overnight stays or my longer stays for additional travel needs/ideas.

Good luck,
Brigitte
Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Cross country trip.

I'm currently on a cross country trip. I'm in the Grand Canyon Campground. Left September first. We did alot of planning. Used Excel to do a day by day itinerary. The following helped: www.RVparkREVIEWS.COM, Yahoo yellow pages, a good atlas, internet connections along the way, water along the way, electric along the way, weather/clothing, reservations needed (Especially on weekends even this time of year!!!), get state maps(2 copies and mark one up), banking, mail at home,Planning, planning, planning,and some planning. About the first of November I'll send you a copy of the excel file. Don't get much internet out west (CO, UT, AZ,...)

Also working on a day by day trip log w/pics.

Good Luck,
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote