TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Getting Ready For Our First Trip

We will be leaving the day after tomorrow on our first trip in our new ( to us ) TM 2720. After buying it we decided on some repairs and improvements that it needed and after finishing those, the camper sat until we could do a test run.

We'll be out for 4 days towing about 175 miles each way. When I bought the camper home, I was towing it with my 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 with a 6 speed manual trans. It towed fine on the 35 mile trip at speeds up to 65. Since then, I have added a Prodigy brake controller. I'm anxious to see how the TV / TM combo feels on the interstate.

As for the camper itself, I have added two 12v outlets to the rear bed area and two more by the couch in front. We anticipate some boondocking and want to be able to charge out devices regardless of being hooked up to shore power or not. I also had to install a new AC to DC converter as the original had burned out. Swapped out all the incandescent bulbs for LEDs ( I'll tackle the fluorescents later ). I also installed a shut off valve in the propane line to the water heater since the solenoid wasn't closing the heater valve completely. At some point in the future I'll tackle replacement of the solenoid/valve assembly. I also installed a lighted switch just beneath the sink, to give an indication that the electric side of the water heater was on.

Upcoming projects include a wifi booster and router, a small LCD television install and 200 watts of solar power. I'm hoping for an enlightening camping trip and look forward to getting to know my Trailmanor better.

Paul
Old 05-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Gapopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhellings View Post
We will be leaving the day after tomorrow on our first trip in our new ( to us ) TM 2720. After buying it we decided on some repairs and improvements that it needed and after finishing those, the camper sat until we could do a test run.

We'll be out for 4 days towing about 175 miles each way. When I bought the camper home, I was towing it with my 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 with a 6 speed manual trans. It towed fine on the 35 mile trip at speeds up to 65. Since then, I have added a Prodigy brake controller. I'm anxious to see how the TV / TM combo feels on the interstate.

As for the camper itself, I have added two 12v outlets to the rear bed area and two more by the couch in front. We anticipate some boondocking and want to be able to charge out devices regardless of being hooked up to shore power or not. I also had to install a new AC to DC converter as the original had burned out. Swapped out all the incandescent bulbs for LEDs ( I'll tackle the fluorescents later ). I also installed a shut off valve in the propane line to the water heater since the solenoid wasn't closing the heater valve completely. At some point in the future I'll tackle replacement of the solenoid/valve assembly. I also installed a lighted switch just beneath the sink, to give an indication that the electric side of the water heater was on.

Upcoming projects include a wifi booster and router, a small LCD television install and 200 watts of solar power. I'm hoping for an enlightening camping trip and look forward to getting to know my Trailmanor better.

Paul
Wow , sounds like to me you know your TM well. You made some great modifications. Was the lighted water heater switch hard to do. Have fun on your trip.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Something you would find helpful (if you don't already have it) is a digital voltage meter that you can plug into a 12V outlet to read how how much charge your battery has. I was surprised at how much the fluorescent lights use. I've switched over to some LED's but not the fluorescents yet. We have four of them and I've been looking for alternatives on Amazon.

Good luck on your first trip! I think you'll love your TM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Lighted heater switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
Wow , sounds like to me you know your TM well. You made some great modifications. Was the lighted water heater switch hard to do. Have fun on your trip.
It was easier to do than the magnetic switch that Bill recommended. The magnetic switch has the advantage of automatically turning off when shore power is disconnected.

The lighted switch that I used only needed the hot wire from the heater and the load wire to the heater and to be grounded. The hot and load wire can be picked up at the thermostat on the heater. Splice a wire to the hot thermostat supply and put a female spade connector on what will be your load wire. Run both wires through the rubber grommet next to the thermostat. You should use 12 gauge stranded wire and protect it with some heat shrink where it passes through.

Run those wires to an electrical box in the under sink location and wire up the switch as shown on the diagram that is in the switch box. You will need to run a wire to ground. The most convenient place to do that is to use a wire with a ring connector crimped on and secure it to the wire clamp where the AC Romex goes into the box attached to the water heater. You do not need to open the box just unscrew one side of the clamp. All of this is doable accessing thru the under sink door. The magnetic switch ( while superior ) would require accessing the AC supply box to the water heater. THAT would be a challenge to get to without removing the heater.

Paul
Old 05-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Paul -

Not meaning to beat a dying horse, but as noted in your other thread on the topic
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=18118 in the Electrical forum
you cannot wire the switch this way. It will appear to work in some situations, but it will fail in others. It is contrary to the NEC (National Electrical Code). And it can be dangerous. I really suggest that you correct the situation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Something you would find helpful (if you don't already have it) is a digital voltage meter that you can plug into a 12V outlet to read how how much charge your battery has. I was surprised at how much the fluorescent lights use. I've switched over to some LED's but not the fluorescents yet. We have four of them and I've been looking for alternatives on Amazon.

Good luck on your first trip! I think you'll love your TM.
That is a great suggestion! I have a voltmeter, but one that can plug in tho the 12v outlet would be great.

Paul
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Paul -

Not meaning to beat a dying horse, but as noted in your other thread on the topic
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=18118 in the Electrical forum
you cannot wire the switch this way. It will appear to work in some situations, but it will fail in others. It is contrary to the NEC (National Electrical Code). And it can be dangerous. I really suggest that you correct the situation.

Bill
The light is not in line, the buib wouldn't pass enough current for the heater to work. The switch acts as a normal switch but the light is in parallel and providing a path to neutral of ground provides a means for a fraction of an amp to pass through the bulb to illuminate it. Yes, technically it should be wired to neutral but many breaker boxes have neutral and ground as electrically the same point.

If it was an outlet I would never take the shortcut and you are correct in that it would be a code violation. Interestingly enough, the TM is plugged into a GFI protected circuit currently and it did not trip it. I tested the GFI after reading the comments and the GFI tests normal.

Good news is that if it causes a problem, I can cut the ground wire and the switch becomes a simple switch again. I still have the magnetic one should this not work properly. This is a shakedown run and there will be time to correct any deficiencies prior to our 6-8 week trip this summer.

Thanks for the well intentioned and correct input.

Paul
Old 05-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhellings View Post
We will be leaving the day after tomorrow on our first trip in our new ( to us ) TM 2720.
Paul
Have a great time & safe travels!