TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-20-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
aldebnj

Default Latch Pin Broke

The pin (rivet) that held the spring loaded latch for our front shell on the curb side of the trailer came loose from the arm. Luckily, the corner latch kept things in place so we did not pop open. The next day, I disconnected the spring and took the latch handle to Lowe' s and found a bolt that fit the hole. I used a nylon stop nut so could leave enought space for the handle to move freely but still be secure. This happened 700 miles from home on our second trip. The trailer had been a rental unit for the previous summer at the dealer. The repair cost was less than $5.

Has this happened to anybody else? I bought enough materials to make this repair on the other three latches in case it happens again. Looks like the spot weld on the end of the rivet was not done correctly. I also purchased and installed locks on all 4 corner latches to keep them secure from popping loose during travel.

Al
Old 05-20-2004, 07:15 AM   #2
Cateye
Cateye

Default Re:Latch Pin Broke

I have a 2003 2720SL. This problem occured on our TM also. It was due to rust and and faulty latches from the vendor. We had them replaced when the unit was returned to the factory for other repairs. Watch the rust on these rivets.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
dcrdark
Site Sponsor

I had this happened as well on our 2002 3023 last year. We were at my wifes uncles place in up state Ney York. We used the same bolt technique as you.
Dave
dcrdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

[quote author=aldebnj link=board=2;threadid=1934;start=msg13663#msg13663 date=1085057444]
I also purchased and installed locks on all 4 corner latches to keep them secure from popping loose during travel.

Al
[/quote]

Hey Al,

Glad that things stayed put till you got it fixed. I am going to take a look at mine this weekend. As for the lcorner latches, we use clip pins (hitch pins) that we use on them, it works well for us. When I have the trailer in winter storage, I do put pad locks (found 4 with the same key), as an added security item though.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

For the corner latches, successful use of clips, pins, or locks depends very much on proper adjustment of the length of the latch. You can shorten or lengthen the latch by simply rotating the movable half of the interlocking hooks.

If the length of the latch is too short, it is really hard to engage the latch when you are closing up. On the other hand, if the length of the latch is too long, the hooks can disengage when the trailer hits a bump and the shell squishes down for a moment. (Did that make any sense?) You will be left with the completely closed latch hanging down, with the clip, pin, or lock still in place. Looks kinda silly, fer sure.

So shorten the latches as much as you can, to the point where they are a bit difficult (but not impossible) to engage. I have shortened mine to the point where, in order to engage them, I have to reach up and pull the shell down a little bit. You don't want to overdo this idea - the shells are supposed to bounce a little bit - but I have never had one spontaneously disengage since I did this.

Bill.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
live2shopnc

I lost one of the 1/4 " bolts that holds the latch on my first trip last weekend. when I got home I backed all of them out and put the med. duty lock tite on them. replaced the lost one with SS one. I have my latches tight then add wire ties around them. I also wire tie the 2 latch handles together (not sure it will help but it might)
Old 05-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

My spring loaded latch (curb-side, fwd shell) failed halfway on a 1100 mile trip. I re-engaged the failed rivet, clamped a vice grip pliers on it, safety wired the pliers closed, and continued to destination. Worked. Meanwhile, called TM and complained. They overnight-FedExed a raplacement to the destination campground. It arrived the day after we did. NO CHARGE! Off, on, fin!

BTW, I carry a 25 foot ratchet-cinch type belt in my trailer. If a hold-down latch were to fail, and I couldn't Jerry Rig it, I plan to wrap it around the shell and frame, cinch it down and carry on. Thanks to HappyTrails for the idea. Or, was it Larry Loo?

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
jniles

We had one vibrate loose and lost one nut on the way home from buying the unit. The latch was dangling with the other bolt and nut loose. We bought enough machine thread square nuts to fix em all a couple of times.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
aldebnj

Try using a nylon stop nut. It will basically stay where ever you have tightened to.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
Harry Womack

Default Latches on roof

When I picked the trailer up at the dealer, they gave me 4 hitch pins to keep the latches from coming open. Trying to keep up with 4 pins at every campout was impossible. I installed a cable and a key ring spring loaded clip on all 4 latches. I am in the process of spring loading the catches so that they are always the right direction when folding the trailer. If they are the wrong direction when folding, they will bend!
Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04129.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	515  
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote