TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Jacob B

Default Tire Woes = New Toilet Opportunity

On our 5th trip with a new to us 2010 2720 we had the left side tire thread separate and then savage the black water tube resulting in the Thetford being nearly completely separated from the floor of the 2720. It appears a few screws are holding on by the last few threads. The plan is to pull the toilet next week to see get a better sense of the damage to the floor but I fear it will be extensive as there were tire marks on the inside of the bathroom!

Assuming the floor is sufficiently damaged I was thinking of patching it entirely and putting something like a Curve or some other cassette toilet.

Any words of wisdom before I embark on the smelly adventure?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
MisterP

Ouch.

After owning a 3124 with a smelly toilet, my wife said enough when we bought the 3326. With a floor patch and the black water line sealed off there are a number of Porta Potti options, or you can go to a Sealand or even a flush toilet if you don't boondock. We went with a Porta Potti 550, and love it. I had to build a false floor to cover the existing black water connection on the floor, you would not have to worry about that.

You may also wish to search for protective cage options to protect the plumbing in the future. I am on an iPhone at present and its tricky to give you thread suggestions, but they are easy to find.

Hope you get your trailer repaired to your satisfaction.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Jacob B

Thanks MP! I've seen a lot of thread discussions on the topic (apparently the most discussed item).

I wonder, do people just leave the black water line in place for the future? Ever see the Exorcist where the little girl spins her head around? Yeah, that's what my black water connection does that now so I'm inclined to just pull the whole thing out if I go cassette/curve/550.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hey Jacob, sorry to hear your TM got damaged. If your grey water connection is still functioning the just cap off the black water connection and install your cassette. I pulled out the recirc and put in a Curve. Best mod that I've done so far.

We will be traveling thru your state in October in route to see friends in Fort Collins. Love Arizona, but only in the early spring or fall.

Good luck with your repair!

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Jacob B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Hey Jacob, sorry to hear your TM got damaged. If your grey water connection is still functioning the just cap off the black water connection and install your cassette. I pulled out the recirc and put in a Curve. Best mod that I've done so far.

We will be traveling thru your state in October in route to see friends in Fort Collins. Love Arizona, but only in the early spring or fall.

Good luck with your repair!
Luckily, the only plumbing that was whipped repeatedly was the black tank. There is some minor damage to the insulation, that tire cover flap was ripped free, but otherwise things look okay so far.

As for AZ, just hit the north in the summer and its normally 50-80 degrees up in the high country. That's what a lot of us do and that's where we were heading when the adventure began. Now I have a set of Commodore tires (only thing available at the Big O that was closest) so we'll see how those play out. Not much on the web on them.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
Luckily, the only plumbing that was whipped repeatedly was the black tank. There is some minor damage to the insulation, that tire cover flap was ripped free, but otherwise things look okay so far.

As for AZ, just hit the north in the summer and its normally 50-80 degrees up in the high country. That's what a lot of us do and that's where we were heading when the adventure began. Now I have a set of Commodore tires (only thing available at the Big O that was closest) so we'll see how those play out. Not much on the web on them.
Sounds like you were fortunate, there are some real horror stories posted about tire damage.

Your are right, the Sedona and Flagstaff area is nice pretty much year round.

The Commodore's will be a crap shoot, being Chinese made, but you have a 50/50 chance of them being decent. Did you beef up your load rating?

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Jacob B

Yes, I went to load Range E on the new ones. My 2720 has the 15" tire kit on it already.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Jacob B

Default Progress

Pulled the Electra-magic today, and to say I pulled it was an overstatement. The flange was completely destroyed so basically a small tug and the toilet was free. My gen of 2720 has separate black grey lines so I think I'm going to cut out the black line and fill the hole for now since I'm going with the curve. Once I put down the holding plate I can seal its edges.

Any suggestions on what to fill that hole with ?

P.S. Anyone want a slightly used/damaged Thetford Electramagic? I can make you a deal on it
Old 07-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
MisterP

Not sure what you want the floor repair to look like, but if I had to seal a large hole in a TM, I would:

Obtain two pieces of flat aluminum sheet larger than the hole, AL pop rivets, a tube of 3M 5200, and a can of expanding insulation foam.

Clean the edges of the hole so no aluminum is sticking out. Run a thin bead of 5200 around the outside of the bottom of the hole to seal it. Press one piece of flat AL stock up to seal. Secure it with pop rivets as needed.

Inside the bath, fill the now sealed hole with expanding foam, allow it to cure and trim it flush with the floor. Repeat the 5200/sheet/pop rivets to seal the floor and you will have a sealed, waterproof floor. Cover with your toilet and enjoy.

That's what I would do, I am sure there are other ways I have not thought of.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Jacob B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Not sure what you want the floor repair to look like, but if I had to seal a large hole in a TM, I would:

Obtain two pieces of flat aluminum sheet larger than the hole, AL pop rivets, a tube of 3M 5200, and a can of expanding insulation foam.

Clean the edges of the hole so no aluminum is sticking out. Run a thin bead of 5200 around the outside of the bottom of the hole to seal it. Press one piece of flat AL stock up to seal. Secure it with pop rivets as needed.

Inside the bath, fill the now sealed hole with expanding foam, allow it to cure and trim it flush with the floor. Repeat the 5200/sheet/pop rivets to seal the floor and you will have a sealed, waterproof floor. Cover with your toilet and enjoy.

That's what I would do, I am sure there are other ways I have not thought of.

Thank you!