TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
I also remember seeing a message on the Wise Guys generator sales web site on the Yamaha 2400. The simple note said something along the lines of "this generator will not work with a 13,500 BTU AC unit" or words to that effect.
This is the message at Wise Sales (where I bought my Yama) for the EF2400 ISHC: This High Current model starts most high efficiency 13,500 btu AC in temperatures up to 110° F.

I have run my AC off of the generator at 3500' elevation, and a member of another forum that I frequent has run his AC off of a EF2400is at 7000'.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
ng2951

I should have added one of the big pluses for the Yamaha too...they can be had for under $1,200. A pair of Hondas cost a shade over $2,000 new.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
moaboy

Honda Handi 3000
powers the AC and a few other items
light-for a 3k, on wheels, very reliable
not cheap, but a great investment over time
Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
gcubed

I guess it is time for my 2 cents too. I have the Honda 2000 I purchased it because I knew if I needed more power I could just purchase another and for the $750 it was a no brainer. I have used it once to power my a/c, but we were only at 900 ft above sea level and it worked great, although I could not run anything else. One of these days I will get the second half to complete the pair, but have not needed it yet. We generally camp by the coast, so the sea breeze does the cooling for us

-Gregg
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Another thought regarding the Honda 3000...

It probably requires that you tow with a truck. I think it would be difficult to get into some of the smaller SUVs and even with a large SUV (Suburban) some people do not like the idea of a gas (or propane) powered generator in the passenger compartment.

I do not think you can carry the Honda 3000 inside the TM either. Not sure if it fits through the TM door.

So, for all of you that have a generator on wheels, where do you carry it if you do not have the bed of a truck to use?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #16
rjlwork

Our generator doesn't have wheels, but it is relatively big (Champion 3500). A friend welded brackets on the tongue and we slide it in behind the propane tanks. It just barely fits and is locked down to the frame while in motion. I firmly decided I didn't want it inside, and I do have the option of letting it ride on the back porch. But fumes would still get into the living quarters, so that was a no go. We do have the Avalanche, so it could also go in the bed.

We loved the suggestion to keep the gas tanks in large trash bags. It worked really well at keeping the fumes contained and those tanks do ride in the bed of the truck with a hard cover over it rather than on the porch. We
never smelled gas while in the truck.

NOTE: The gas cans were empty when we put them in the trash bags.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
moaboy

I have no problem strapping my Honda Handi 3000 in the back of my Honda Ody.

One other point-If one gets a decent size generator you can use it as an emergency power source at your home. I had an eletrician wire a special adapter to my circuit breaker box so when the power goes out (and this year it has twice -once for a 2 days and once for 1 day). I just plug it in, fire it up and I can run a number -certainly not all, but all of the critical circuits that I need to have power for like my refrigerators, lights, gas furnace etc.

It is also how I justified the cost. I bought mine from Wise and was very pleased. My wife, who was skeptical, is now a believer-as long as she gets her hot coffee in the am....
Old 10-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #18
rjlwork

I received this message from another (wiser than me) member. I had no idea I was putting us in jeopardy!
And I work in the fire protection industry. Thank you again, friend!

"Just a tip.....

Putting your gas cans in plastic bags to contain the fumes is incredibly dangerous.

Gasoline, in it's liquid form is safe to transport. It's best to keep the tanks as full as possible to avoid large spaces for fumes to accumulate.

Gasoline in it's gaseous form is highly explosive. Containing it in a plastic bag is literally creating a bomb. If a cigarette butt were to land in your truck, or even a spark from static electricity, that could result in an explosion that could breach the gas tank itself and the resulting fire could be very life threatening...... "
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
PopBeavers

Here is another thought...

With a pair of Honda 2000s I can carry 4000 watts, one generator in each hand.

With the Yamaha I can carry 2400 watts, one generator in front of me, risking my back muscles.

I can not carry a Honda 3000. I have to roll it.

Not that any of this really matters.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
moaboy

So Pop are you suggesting it is easier to carry aprox. 100 lbs vs rolling 75 lbs on the ground?
I guess that is one way to stay in shape....

Tags
a/c, generator