TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
iamstrail

Default Surging and noisy brakes on my Elkmont

Hello: We are new to towing and finally got our Elkmont on the road today. Had surging feeling in tow vehicle and noisy brakes coming from the trailer. Truck seemed to be running warm (as cooling fan came on several times and we only traveled a few miles to local park. We did not have this the only other time we had it on the road. Suggestions please? thank you,
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

My WDH creaked on turns until I greased the proper places: where the heads of the trunnion bars put the pressure on the hitch attachment points. Looking at the setup, it became patently obvious where the pressure was, and I had only addressed one side (the front of the top of the trunnion attachment). Once I greased up the back of the bottom of that area, the groans stopped completely. Blissful silence
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstrail View Post
Had surging feeling in tow vehicle and noisy brakes coming from the trailer. Truck seemed to be running warm (as cooling fan came on several times and we only traveled a few miles to local park. We did not have this the only other time we had it on the road. Suggestions please? thank you,
Hmm, our Elkmont brakes are very quiet. We have a Tekshona Prodigy Brake controller.

When it is on the lowest setting, the trailer brakes hardly activate, and you can feel the truck rock on it's springs when you hit the brake pedal hard; the trailer is pushing the truck forward.

When you put the controller on a very high setting, the trailer seems to be pulling the truck to a stop and at extrememly high settings, the trailer brakes will lock up and you'll leave a patch of rubber when you brake.

So when you say "surging" I think your brake controller is set too low. But when you say noisy, I think it's set too high and the brakes are locking up.

Or maybe they're just not working properly and you should have somebody look at them.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Hello: We are new to towing and finally got our Elkmont on the road today. Had surging feeling in tow vehicle and noisy brakes coming from the trailer. Truck seemed to be running warm (as cooling fan came on several times and we only traveled a few miles to local park. We did not have this the only other time we had it on the road. Suggestions please? thank you,
It does take a bit of time to get used to adjusting the WDH and brake controller. Do a little research on adjusting each tool. Adjustment is critical to the proper use of these items.

As for the "Truck". What yr, make, model truck do you have? Does it have a "Factory" tow package?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Scott O

Another thing to consider, particularly if your TV seems to be running hot, is whether the TM brakes are adjusted properly. If they are dragging, that could account for both problems... This would be the easiest place to start, as the adjustment is very simple.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
iamstrail

Default surgin & noisy brakes on Elkmont

Thank you all for your help/suggestions
(We have an '07 Honda Ridgeline with hitch, etc. installed by Custom RV, Anaheim, CA)
Thanks again, john & vonnie
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...lies/smile.gif
Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thank you all for your help/suggestions
(We have an '07 Honda Ridgeline with hitch, etc. installed by Custom RV, Anaheim, CA)
Thanks again, john & vonnie
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...lies/smile.gif
I would suggest that you take your fully loaded rig to a scales on the way to your next camp-out. I think that you will find that you are towing at the upper limits of the Ridgeline.

Adding a large transmission cooler would go a along way toward keeping your transmission and engine running cooler (if you don't already have one).

Having said that, you should not be running hot with that rig unless it is a very hoy day and/or you are climbing a grade with the AC on.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
iamstrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Another thing to consider, particularly if your TV seems to be running hot, is whether the TM brakes are adjusted properly. If they are dragging, that could account for both problems... This would be the easiest place to start, as the adjustment is very simple.
Where do we find info/instructions on adjusting Elkmont brakes?
The red 3 ring binder we rec'd with purchase seems to be geared toward
the collapsible models of the TM. Would brakes be the same for Elkmont?
We are not mechanically inclined (& that's being generous!)
thanks again, von iams
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
brulaz

Quote:
Where do we find info/instructions on adjusting Elkmont brakes?
The red 3 ring binder we rec'd with purchase seems to be geared toward
the collapsible models of the TM. Would brakes be the same for Elkmont?
We are not mechanically inclined (& that's being generous!)
thanks again, von iams
You should have rec'd a Dexter Axle manual for the brakes on the Elkmont. If you didn't, get one from your dealer. The brakes are mostly self-adjusting and need only to be manually adjusted if the self-adjusting feature fails. The manual says how to do this, but I would have an expert look at them if it comes to that.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The Elkmont brakes are self-adjusting? Nice. Maybe the folding TM's now have that, since that never was the case before.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote