TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Bill,

Would it be useful to update the thread
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=charger
with a link or a reference to upgrading the charger with a Magnatek/Parallax upgrade kit? I didn't even know such a thing existed until you posted the link in post No. 7 above. I'm going to check my converter and see which one I have.

In the meantime, if my battery is fully charged, would it be a good idea to disconnect the battery while plugged into campground power to prevent overcharging? I'm thinking this is the reason I measured 13.6V the other day.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

I can update the link, of course. The problem is that TM experimented with a number of converter-chargers during that time period. None of them was particularly good because the technology was changing. Most of the newer units were of Chinese manufacture, and bore ridiculous names like World Friendship Company. TM used few enough of each unit that there isn't a lot of info about them, and I hesitate to condemn a product based on one or two bad reviews.

Of course, I advised changing away from Magnetek/Parallax based on a larger number of bad experiences, including my own, and my review of the schematic and how it operates.

As for your question about the need to disconnect your Magnetek/Parallax unit during a camping trip to prevent overcharge? The answer is no. No need. The overcharging is slow but relentless - it happens over longer time period of dead storage. In those days, at least, common wisdom said you should plug in the charger during dead storage, to prevent the battery from discharging due to parasitic loads (a legit concern) and self-discharge (not so legit in the time frames discussed). Today's chargers are better, battery disconnect switches are more widely installed, and the use of good maintainers (not necessarily cheap trickle chargers) is more common.

Part of the fun of being an old-timer on the forum is being able to watch this stuff evolve.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Bill,

Good to know. I'm probably worrying too much about the charger/converter then, as long as I don't keep it pluged in for the winter.

Larry

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We only use the converter when camping at an electric site or working in the driveway. When camping with electric, I only let the battery full recharge for about 24 hours. I than turn off the switch to the battery until about 12 hours before we leave the site.

I have always felt that RV charger were POS''s. They say there are some good RV converters that have come out in the past 6 to 10 years. But even those high end newer converters, the people with large battery banks seem to have complaints.

I turn the battery switch off when the camper is in storage. When in storage I use a good stand alone battery charger, or if i'm lazy a battery minder.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Confirming my own WFCO condemnation, without hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
.... Most of the newer units were of Chinese manufacture, and bore ridiculous names like World Friendship Company. TM used few enough of each unit that there isn't a lot of info about them, and I hesitate to condemn a product based on one or two bad reviews.
They were (are?) widely used on other RVs, including the little Airstream pop-ups. Reports of failure, and resultant dislike among RV owners, are pretty widespread on forums which are dedicated to owners of other Trailers.

Now of course, I've personally looked at the mainboard's on-board components, the separate supporting "management" mini-board, and the filtration capacitors in a 2006-vintage WFCO. Separate from the things I could see (and verify to stink), I'll SWAG that the microcode probably worked with the grace and accuracy of an executioner's axe.

Randy's "Boondocker" replacements are built vastly better than the 2006-2007 originals. (bestconverter.com). Although I must assume that WFCO has upgraded their OEM offerings since then, to try and meet the reliability requirements of various upset manufacturers, because they're still in business. That wouldn't be true if they were still attempting to sell something like my 2006 model.

My own "Boondocker" replacement board is not compatible with a lot of GFI devices, because the "hot" and "current carrying neutral" lines don't maintain sufficient balance during its high-speed AC switching operations. But it otherwise works, and it hasn't "blown up" under proper use. The WFCO did. If I was willing to pay for a Xantrex "truecharge2", it would certainly work better - but "Boondocker" has been sufficient more me, for many years, for those days and evening when I've been plugged in at RV parks.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
fourteener

I'm also having problems with my WFCO Model: WF-8955AN converter/charger on my '07 2720.

I have a few questions, we've been boondocking, and camping solely on solar for quite some time now, and I'm not sure when the last time we plugged into shore power was (probably Aug.'15 in Durango). But, we just returned from Ridgway State Park in near Ridgway, CO. Shortly after we got there, and set-up, I pushed the status button, to see that it didn't appear that we were getting any charge to the battery, and appeared that our 12-volt was going to be short lived. Lucky for me, I had left our portable solar in the storage compartment, so I just plugged it in.

I did pull out the converter/charger, and tap on it, as I wondered if it could be a bad relay. No fan, no hum?? I'm not experienced when it comes to using a multi-meter, so if anyone thinks I need to test further, please keep instructions very specific.

I think I need to replace the converter/charger, but have a few questions prior to doing that.

1st) (and most obvious) Are there any fuses or switches that I'm missing? Seems weird that it just died? Or is that how it usually goes?

2nd) Anything else I need to check prior to replacing, and anything I need to know specifically before getting elbow deep in the replacement process?

3rd) Is there one that is really "the best?" Any recommendations? I searched replacement, and it looks like WFCO (Arterra WF-8955-MBA 55 DC Amp) makes a new one that has 3-stage charging, safe for electronics, and quiet. I noticed Camping World carries it, and found it on Amazon for $147.25, comes with a 2-yr warranty. Sounds like it will slide in directly where the current one sits. Any thoughts?

Any other input from all of you experts will be much appreciated.

Thanks Again!
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #17
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default "PD4555V" is the probably the best model for upgrading your TM.

I recommend that you buy the version with 55A capability AND the remote pendant. Randy (BestConverter.com) has it a few $ cheaper than Amazon, and he's also very friendly with "hand-holding" support. (However, another TM owner with great electronic skills feels that Randy doesn't really add "value" to the equation of buying even cheaper from elsewhere.)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
I'm also having problems with my WFCO Model: WF-8955AN converter/charger on my '07 2720.
1st) (and most obvious) Are there any fuses or switches that I'm missing? Seems weird that it just died? Or is that how it usually goes?
Not at all. Sometimes a filter capacitor fails with burning smells and visual problems; other times a CB-mounted component burns out (which might be visible if you look carefully; and sometimes a "Control Board" IC gives up the ghost - without visual symptoms of the failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
2nd) Anything else I need to check prior to replacing, and anything I need to know specifically before getting elbow deep in the replacement process?
Not really. If 120V outlets work when plugged in, the problem is in the "Converter" section. Be sure to bring an extension cord in through the door (for a lamp, to see what you're doing), and verify all TM outlets to be "dead cold" before you start.
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener;137583B
3rd)[/B] Is there one that is really "the best?" Any recommendations? I searched replacement, and it looks like WFCO (Arterra WF-8955-MBA 55 DC Amp) makes a new one that has 3-stage charging, safe for electronics, and quiet. I noticed Camping World carries it, and found it on Amazon for $147.25, comes with a 2-yr warranty. Sounds like it will slide in directly where the current one sits. Any thoughts?
I' stay away from that one. Looking at negative reviews, there's no manufacturer support contact, no viable returns, and no "arterra" website. The PD4655MBA WFCO replacement board, with remote pendant is 'the best'. Pay a bit more and get it.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #19
fourteener

Rick,
I noted that Randy at BestConverters.com also carries the WFCO 8955 MBA 55 Amp converter, and supports it? Also, all the sites I've searched show that they are the most widely used converter by some of the most respected camper brands/manufacturers. I'm wondering if this is a matter of old items getting a bad rap and simply requiring a needed upgrade. I'm no electrical engineer, but my old converter worked for 10 yrs, so I think I can expect to upgrade? I mean when my home PC hits 10 yrs of age, I will likely not be bragging about its performance? Let me know if your opinion is based on the old units, or WFCO's newer upgraded models?
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb If you look carefully ....

You will find many complaints that the WFCO converters don't operate operate in 'bulk mode' (14.4 charging voltage) for more than a few seconds. This is definitely true of your 2007 original (which is identical to my old one). A gross look at photos of the three products reveals many obvious differences: the PD provides two fans (the "Arterra" and "8955MBA" provide only one; the PD doesn't need a big, vertical "daughter board" to hold a lot of control circuit components. The PD has a large "doughnut" choke with more coils - the fan draws air through the hole: The 8955MBA has a solid core choke with only a few turns of heavy wire, blocking air movement. And the PD is USA-made, with USA support: the others are Chinese, and Amazon's "Arterra" Company doesn't have a website or phone number.

The "Boondocker 1255" contains a large choke mounted sideways, and a much smaller (more integrated) daughter board than the "Arterra" or "8955MBA". (This is an updated "Boondocker", not identical to mine.) The "Arterra" and "WFCO" products may actually come from the same factory - many parts are visually identical. Per above, if I was shopping again, I would choose the PD.