TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Scottsdale AZ parks

We're thinking of going to Scottsdale to see the SF Giants spring training. The closest RV park is Scottsdale Trailer Corral but I can't find any info on it.

Does anyone know anything about this park or have other recommendations in the Scottsdale area?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Keith and Ellen -

There are some really nice dry and semi-dry camping areas. McDowell Mountain Regional Park, in Fountain Hills, comes to mind. Electricty and water at each site, but not necessarily sewer hookups on site, though there is a dump station and restrooms. There are several more in the Usery Mountains north of Mesa. Check other state and local parks - they are a big deal out there. The Superstition Mountains (think Lost Dutchman Gold Mine) are also a good candidate.

If you are looking for full hookups, there are a ton of "trailer parks" in Mesa and Apache Junction, since these towns are Retirement Central for the area. These parks cater to snowbirds and permanent residents, but most of them accept transients as well. Some of them are quite nice (and some don't appear to be), but they generally givce you just what they sound like - a spot on a slab not far from the next slab. But if you are going to be out for most of the day, who cares? And you should be out for most of the day, even if there are no games. Scottsdale and the surrounding area are beautiful.

Scottsdale itself is not a big camping area, to say the least, so expand your search a bit. By the way, don't let apparent distances scare you. Things are often far apart in the west, and greater Phoenix is a big place. A drive of 30 or 40 miles from campground to ball park shouldn't scare you. The major highway system is pretty good.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Bluegrass

Thanks, Bill.

Desert Shadows RV Resort and Desert's Edge both appear to get good ratings. They are near the intersection of 101 and 17, north of Phoenix. I'm assuming it's about 20 minutes to Scottsdale. I know that 101 can get crazy at rush hour but we should be able to dodge that.

How far is McDowell Regional Park from downtown Scottsdale?

I've been to Scottsdale and Phoenix on business, so I know how to get around - at least a bit. But have never looked for RV parks before.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
How far is McDowell Regional Park from downtown Scottsdale?
Get on 101 north to Shea Blvd. Go west on Shea into Fountain Hills. Although there are signs, you'll do well to have a map to work your way through Fountain Hills - MMP is on the north side. According to Google maps, it is about 20 to 30 miles, depending on exactly where you start.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote